Adam Clarke Commentary

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 182
Linden | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 24 2009 8:24 AM

I really want the Adam Clarke Whole Bible Commentary but I have some budgetary constraints after upgrading to the Scholars Library.  Is there any way to purchase just the Adam Clarke Whole Bible Commentary or is the only alternative to purchase the entire John Wesley/Adam Clarke Collection?

Linden

Posts 1957
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 8:49 AM

Logos has a payment plan. http://www.logos.com/paymentplan

Posts 3269
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 9:00 AM

I do not know with Logos ,but apart from Logos I have Quickverse and PC study bible I have it on both softwares,My recomondation is,if you buy the chiepest software from quickverse you will find not only Adam Clarke the barnes aswell.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 182
Linden | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 9:19 AM

Tes:
if you buy the chiepest software from quickverse

Thanks for the pointer, but its actually free in the sword project (take your pick of the software package), doesn't get cheaper than that. Big Smile

Back to the topic at hand, I'd like to have a copy integrated into my Logos library  and am willing to pay for it as there doesn't appear to be PBB variant either. I don't really want the entire collection that its a part of but it seems like I don't have an option.

Linden

Posts 182
Linden | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 9:24 AM

Tes:
he barnes aswell

Now interestingly enough, Barnes OT/NT commentaries are available in PBB format which I can use in Libronix 3.x.  Just a matter of waiting until 4.x adds PBB support.  Just wish Clarke had a PBB variant too.

Linden

Posts 182
Linden | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 9:51 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:
Logos has a payment plan

Thanks Donovan.  I'm aware of the payment plan, but that's not an option for me for three reasons:

1. I have a strict rule, pay in full at the end of the month or don't buy it.
  2. The payment plan actually increases the final cost and my concerns are the final cost and not the montly outlay.
  3. I don't think I need a significant portion of the collection.

I realize this comparison is apples to oranges, but I looked at the equivalent cost of the Clarke Commentary in a variety of software packages and the Logos version is 2.5-12x more expensive and I'm trying to figure out why. Is it because it also includes Wesley's notes or is it because of this statement in the collection description:

This packed CD-ROM also contains Adam Clarke’s complete commentary covering every book of the Bible and also includes the ancillary data that was originally included in his commentaries, but left off most other editions.

If someone on this forum owns this collection, I'd be grateful if you could shed some light on this additional material and if you find it useful.

Thanks.

Linden

Posts 103
Bethany Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 31 2012 8:35 PM

The "Works of Adam Clarke" are on Community Pricing, currently at $100. From the graph it looks like we could easily chop that in half to $50, which means it would be $2 a volume. The link is www.logos.com/product/16526/the-works-of-adam-clarke

parkbench234 AT gmail DOT com

Posts 182
Linden | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 9 2012 9:00 AM

Thanks for the heads up Bethany.  I never posted it, but I eventually broke down and bought the collection during one of the sales.  Now I'm wondering, about this statement in the community pricing version:

Do you already own the Ages edition of Clarke's Commentary that was built for Libronix? Then you qualify for a special upgrade price. The previous editions were created many years ago, using the best digital files available at the time. We’re rebuilding Clarke's Commentary from the ground up—The Works of Adam Clarke (24 vols.) contains new, updated files as well as eighteen additional resources. Remember, to qualify for the special upgrade price, you will need to have already owned the previous Ages edition of Clarke's Commentary that was built for Libronix. Pre-order Today!

Wonder what type of discount I'd be eligible for and whether the changes are worth it?

Linden

Posts 103
Bethany Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 9 2012 9:04 AM

Wow, have only just realised that you originally posted 3 years ago!

May be worth contacting sales, smiling sweetly and asking? You never know.

parkbench234 AT gmail DOT com

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS