Official Logos for Mac Representative

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 27 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 1 2014 4:57 PM

Dear Tom:Thank you for the kind reply.

To be honest: For the life of me, I cannot understand how Accordance can build both Mac and Windows, with feature parity and both being native programs - and logos cannot do the same.

I guess its just beyond my small mind.

Many other companies do as well, with miles of code.

It's just beyond my ability to understand how Logos is so much harder to code for than anything else in the software world that is written for feature party acres multiple platforms.

Again, thank you for your kind response.

Posts 242
Lankford Oxendine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 1 2014 5:06 PM

Bradley or Tom,

Can you confirm if my logic/understanding is correct per my last post?  Thanks!

Posts 328
Thinking | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 1 2014 5:37 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
I cannot understand how Accordance can build both Mac and Windows, with feature parity and both being native programs - and logos cannot do the same.
From my biased Mac viewpoint, it is because Accordance was written with the Mac philosophy on a Mac first, then ported to Windows. If you start out with a Windows program, then port it to keep it as a Windows program you'll have problems, because Apple doesn't really help developers create programs looking like they are Windows programs. So you use .Net with MONO.

That said, now that I shut down Logos before putting my computer to sleep, and now that I can reboot the Mac quickly with the new retinal MacBook Pro, and with reasonably reliable and rapid internet, I am using Logos much more consistently and learning its "ways." It is satisfactory at last. Hope the new beta really does solve the sleep apnea the program has.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 1 2014 6:03 PM

O do not believe they "ported " it to windows. The actually wrote it for windows with the same features, UI layouts etc.

It's blazingly fast and stable on both.

It is my hope that someday- before I die- Logos will do the same for us.

Ahh, Hope, not biblical type, the dream type.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 1 2014 9:09 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
It is my hope that someday- before I die- Logos will do the same for us.

+1 Yes hoping for stable Logos releases on OS X and Windows that enable awesome Bible Study, ideally with sub-second responses.

Initially, Logos outsourced development of Libronix 3 port to be a native Mac OS X application that used Safari for display rendering (similar architecture as Libronix 3 that uses Internet Explorer to display stuff).  Wiki now has Logos for Mac 1 History => http://wiki.logos.com/Mac_Release_Notes_and_History#Logos_for_Mac_1_History

Observation: Logos 5 on OS X was shipped in less time after Logos 4 announcement (~ 3 years) than Logos for Mac shipped after initial announcement (~4 years).

Thankful for Logos sharing code base across platforms, which includes cloud sync of many items. Thankful for substantial Logos 5 feature parity between OS X and Windows.  Thankful for visual filter highlighting that combines hundreds of search results for simultaneous display.  Caveat: combining visual filter search results is intense; newer 3rd generation Intel i5 and i7 with Solid State Disk (SSD) combines search results in several seconds.  Thankful for responsive resource scrolling with visual filters active.

Lankford Oxendine:

The light bulb just went off (I think)!  So with a quad core processor, Logos indexer will assign one thread for each core (engaging all 4 cores and thereby not utilizing hyper threading) which is more efficient then assigning 4 threads to 2 cores (utilizing hyper threading).  If this is all correct then I have a much clearer picture of what is going on.  Thanks again!! 

A quad core processor with hyper threading enabled appears as eight CPU's.  Logos indexer creates four threads for the operating system to schedule execution.  Using Activity Monitor to show CPU History => https://support.apple.com/kb/HT4180 noticed OS X 10.8.5 running on a quad core i7 tends to schedule threads on different physical cores (primary core is typically busy while hyperthreading core is nearly idle).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 26963
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 1 2014 11:17 PM

Lankford Oxendine:
The light bulb just went off (I think)!  So with a quad core processor, Logos indexer will assign one thread for each core (engaging all 4 cores and thereby not utilizing hyper threading) which is more efficient then assigning 4 threads to 2 cores (utilizing hyper threading).

Logos creates the number of threads as Bradley described, but the OS assigns the threads to (physical) cores as efficiently as it can. So that what you state is typically true but hyper threading may be employed in a quad core i.e. running 4 indexing threads on 3 cores or less for some or all of the indexing.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 328
Thinking | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 2 2014 4:53 AM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
O do not believe they "ported " it to windows.
You are correct. It was a poor choice of words.

Posts 68
Tom Philpot | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 6 2014 3:47 PM

Lankford Oxendine:
So with a quad core processor, Logos indexer will assign one thread for each core (engaging all 4 cores and thereby not utilizing hyper threading) which is more efficient then assigning 4 threads to 2 cores (utilizing hyper threading).

Technically, the operating system decides where the threads run, Logos just tells creates the threads and gives them work. But the OS should run each thread run on a separate core if one is available. It's also safe to say a quad-core processor is generally faster than a dual-core using hyper-threading, other things being equal.

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS