L5 for Mac very clunky

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 42
Jason Forbes | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 31 2013 6:58 PM

I don't know if others have had this experience, but for the past month or so, L5 for Mac has been very clunky and slow to respond. To select and copy text has been painful. I've had to revert back to using the Windows version on my Mac which is more responsive, but not the preferred option.

If there is a problem, I hope it can be rectified soon.

JASON

Posts 10715
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 31 2013 7:19 PM

My experience with L5 Mac is very different. May I offer a few suggestions:

1. Logs will be necessary for anyone to provide meaningful assistance. See the link in my signature.

2. Sometimes we need to think like Windows users and reboot the computer. Have you tried this?

3. Clunky and slow is not very descriptive. Please provide a more detailed description of your problem(s). It will assist in diagnosis. 

4. Don't allow you Mac to sleep with Logos running. This should be fixed in 5.2a which is now in beta.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 31 2013 8:24 PM

Jason Forbes:
To select and copy text has been painful.

Please elaborate; would like to try to replicate.

Curious if Safari is also running ?  (personally have experienced fewer OS X 10.8.5 issues by minimizing use of Safari and quiting Safari often).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 42
Jason Forbes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 3:59 PM

Sorry for the delay in reply. I will try to be more descriptive.

When I want to copy a text, I place the mouse at the start of the text I want to copy. Then I hold down the right mouse button with my finger, then move the mouse to the end of the text I want to copy. 3 seconds later, the text is highlighted. Using another finger, I press the left mouse button, and 3 seconds later, a popup menu appears. Making sure 'selected text' is selected, I click copy. 3 seconds later the popup menu disappears.

It doesn't run this slow all the time. Restarting Logos does help, but other for a while. Other times it's quite responsive. Admittedly, I do drive Logos very hard. But I haven't been driving it any harder than usual. For a long time, I've been really happy with the performance of logos. I made a comment (not in the forums) that running smoother under Mavericks when I upgraded the system. Just recently, it's gone down hill. According to my applications folder, the app was last modified on the 27th November. I'm assuming that's when the last update was.

I have tried quitting Safari, and turning off my external display. No change.

My machine is a 2012 MacBook Air, 2GHz, 8GB ram, 74GB HD free.

I'll see if I can provide logs.

Posts 2564
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 4:33 PM

Jason Forbes:

... running smoother under Mavericks when I upgraded the system.

Did you upgrade from ML or install Mavericks from scratch? I always recommend a clean install, from scratch.

Cf. the opinion expressed here.

Posts 42
Jason Forbes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 5:13 PM

I just did an upgrade. As I said, Logos had been running fine.

Posts 10715
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 7:18 PM

Jason Forbes:
the app was last modified on the 27th November. I'm assuming that's when the last update was.

That is the day after the release of 5.2 SR-3, which is the current stable release.

Jason Forbes:
I'll see if I can provide logs.

Those may prove very helpful. But it is certain that none of us can provide useful assistance without them.

Posts 42
Jason Forbes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 9:31 PM

Well, I installed the Logos logger, enabled it, booted Logos, and the Logos logger told me Logos needed to be restarted. So I restarted Logos and Logos logger told me Logos needed to be restarted. So I restarted Logos and Logos logger told me Logos needed to be restarted. So I restarted Logos and Logos logger told me Logos needed to be restarted. So I restarted my whole system, booted Logos, and the Logos logger told me Logos needed to be restarted.

I'm assuming the Logos logger is suppose to do more than this?

Posts 28246
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 9:41 PM

You are reading too much into it. The warning is telling you that Logos has to be restarted for the change to take place. Once you restarted Logos the first time, the change had taken place. Wink

FWIW - Here are two screen shots of the helper app. The first is with Logos open, the second with it closed.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2564
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 4 2014 2:12 AM

Jason Forbes:

I just did an upgrade. As I said, Logos had been running fine.

Sometimes, when users perform a version upgrade, they get some file permissions weirdness and strange crud lying around the hidden folders. Just a suggestion.

Posts 42

Firstly, my apologies. I hadn't realised I could attach files to posts. Please find attached my log from a few weeks ago. The problem is still present.

Posts 42

Now I have another problem. Every time I try to copy the Hebrew text, the whole app crashes. I've tried restarting the machine, and a less busy layout. Still the same problem.

Here's the crash report...

0028.Apple Crash Report.rtf

Posts 10715
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 31 2014 4:25 AM

For Apple Crash Reports, I click in the report, then Select All, copy and paste into TextEdit. Then save and attach the file to a forum post. It is likely that few people will bother to even look at your post this way.

Posts 42
Jason Forbes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 31 2014 12:40 PM

Thanks for the tip Smile

Posts 10715
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 31 2014 5:43 PM

I am a rank amateur at reading Logos logs, but there were a few interesting items:

1. Saw several errors involving the ESV and Hebrew Bible Anderson-Forbes Analyzed Text. Thought maybe one or both were corrupted. However, then I saw the next item.

2. The last entry in the Logos.log read "

Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code. This usually indicates
a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
used by your application.

Unless Dave Hooton comes forward with a solution, perhaps you need to contact Logos Tech Support.

Posts 25602
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 31 2014 11:51 PM

Jason Forbes:
Firstly, my apologies. I hadn't realised I could attach files to posts.

You have a busy layout with corrupt panels from old versions of ESV and NIV (1984). Plenty of panels for AFAT but no corruption. Load to a blank layout and try another layout. You might reconstruct your default layout to avoid the corruptions.

You also have notes for the ESV with similar corruption - the saved text range (selection) is based on an old version of the bible and cannot be loaded. Not sure how you can recognise those if you have many notes for ESV.

EDIT: the notes would have been loaded in the "clunky" Layout.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 25602
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 4 2014 6:53 AM

Jason

How are you going with this problem?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 42
Jason Forbes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 5 2014 2:13 AM

Thanks for asking, Dave.

Intriguing, I tried what you suggested a couple of weeks ago with the same result. I just tried to reproduce the problem on a 'light' desktop to provide a log, and now it's running nice and sweet. I just did an update, but I don't know if that did anything to improve things.

Yes, I do have a busy desktop, I do drive logos hard, I make no secret about that. As strange as it may seem, it's a reflection of how my mind works with multiple steams of thought going at the same  time.

In the meantime, I have been using the windows version on my Mac via Parallels/Win7, and that's been running fine on with the same busy desktop.

I'll close the corrupt panels and see what happens. Failing that, I'll scrap the desktop and start again.

Posts 25602
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 5 2014 2:17 AM

Thanks for the feedback, Jason.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 42
Jason Forbes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 5 2014 2:29 AM

I've scraped my desktop, started a new desktop and linked 2 sets of Bibles (ESV, AGNT, AFAT each) and it's responding fine. So I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS