Commentary collection help???

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 287
Jerry Walker | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 25 2009 4:02 PM

Hey all, hope everyone is enjoying their Christmas? Im in need of some desperate help of how to set up a my collection of commentary. I guess the real issue is I don't know what commentary is classified what?(academic, Intermediate, and Expository or whatever)?And further more I don't know what they mean so its hard to classify them. So I decided in an effort to maximize my software to post a list of my commentaries and see if somebody anybody would help a young preacher out with how they would be classified and then put into L4!!!! I've already have done single volume collection based on the information on the wiki page but these other ones I need help on...  Here they are.. Thanks for help in advance....

Apocrypha and Pseudepiqrapha Apparatuses, commentary, and Text,                                                                                                                                                            

Baker Exegetical comm. on N.T.,                                                                                                                                              

Baker N.T. comm.                                                                                                                                                                  

Believer's Church Bible comm.                                                                                                                                                 

Bible lessons International                                                                                                                                                            

The Bible speaks today                                                                                                                                                                     

Classic comm. on Greek N.T.                                                                                                                                                   

College press  NIV comm.                                                                                                                                                       

Context of scripture                                                                                                                                                                  

Crossway Classic comm.                                                                                                                                                                 

Early church fathers (Protestant ed.)                                                                                                                                           

Holman N.T. comm.                                                                                                                                                                      

Horae Homileticae                                                                                                                                                                             

IVP Bible background comm. and  IVP N.T.Comm.                                                                                                                

John Courson's Application comm.                                                                                                                                       

MacArthur N.T. comm.                                                                                                                                                                  

Minor Prophets Exegetical comm.                                                                                                                                               

New American comm.                                                                                                                                                                     

New International Greek Testament comm.                                                                                                                            

Opening up comm.                                                                                                                                                                           

Pillar N.T. comm.                                                                                                                                                                         

Preachers comm.                                                                                                                                                                           

Pulpit comm.                                                                                                                                                                       

Summarized Bible                                                                                                                                                                                 

United Bible Societies handbooks                                                                                                                                     

Wiersbe's "Be" serious comm.                                                                                                                                                 

Wiersbe's Expository Outlines comm.                                                                                                                                          

Word Biblical                                                                                                                                                                                 

Works of H.A.Ironside                                                                                                                                                                   

Works of John Bunyan                                                                                                                                                                

Wycliffe Bible comm.

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 4:10 PM

Jerry,

In addition to other responses forthcoming, the following page might help in your organization:

http://www.logos.com/commentaries/multivolume

(note the "S," "P," "L" characterizations)

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 4:12 PM

Not sure that i can help much.

Have you read info in Logos site http://www.logos.com/commentaries/multivolume

Also there might be good info in the wiki (at the bottom of this page) http://wiki.logos.com/Collections

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 287
Jerry Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 4:13 PM

Hey Otto hope all is well.  I still have that hard drive for you.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 4:16 PM

There is some very good info about catagorizing and making collections of your commentaries in this thread...

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/7715/60974.aspx#60974

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 5:49 PM

Jerry Walker:

Hey Otto hope all is well.  I still have that hard drive for you.

And I hope the same for you, Jerry!!! I'm a little stuffed with holiday dinner at the moment, but all is good.

Looks like I'm OK with my hard drive at the moment....

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 2204
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 8:05 PM

Hi Jerry,

Here is a how I have mine categorized. i did put the single volume and study bibles together. I think it wold help to pick a common passage, such as Rom 8.28 and do a comparison for yourself. I hope this gives you some ideas:

Homeletic Intermediate Exegetical Special Classical Single Vol Study Bible
Wiersbe Believers Church Baker NT UBS JFB BKC Believers
Life Application NT College Press NT NIGTC Metzger Matt Henry Wiersbe Outlines The Bible Guide
Boice DSBS WBC Vincent Matt Poole Outline Commentary Bible Readers
Cornerstone IVP NT NAC Robertson CCGNT Talk Thru the Bible Nelsons
Ironside Holman KD OT Wuests Pulpit With the Word Womans
Opening Up NAC BENTC IVP Backgnd Horae Believer Bible MacArthur
Preaching the Word OT Survey NIC Summarized KJV Holman
MacArthur Pillar Nelson Illustrated Courson
Tyndale Apologetics
Wycliffe
NBC
McGee

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 1:27 AM

John,

thanks for providing the chart of your method of sorting commentaries....much appreciated!

Robert Pavich

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 2:19 AM

Robert Pavich:

John,

thanks for providing the chart of your method of sorting commentaries....much appreciated!

You can get quite good of sorting on the BestCommentaries.com. They have a code at each item. There is much information there on the series and individual commentaries.

Bohuslav

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 2:28 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
You can get quite good of sorting on the BestCommentaries.com. They have a code at each item. There is much information there on the series and individual commentaries.

Thanks Bohuslav, I appreciate it also!

Robert Pavich

Posts 10580
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 4:12 AM

John Fidel:
Here is a how I have mine categorized.

Thank you, John. I had most of my categorized, but that helped me refine my thinking and provided great assistance in finding some I had missed. Yes

Posts 2204
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 5:17 AM

I am glad you found it helpful.

Posts 13367
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 11:23 AM

This post of mine a few days back show how I categorise my commentary collections.

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2009 9:10 AM

Very good list John, and helpful. 

Do you think that in addition to being classified Classical, the CCGNT could also be considered Exegetical? 

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2204
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2009 9:18 AM

Mike,

Exegetical may even be a better place for CCNt. Pulpit is somewhat homeletical... I think you should tweak my classifications to suite how you want to access these resources in your studies..and you can duplicate commentaries into several collections if you wish.

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2009 4:41 PM

Thanks for posting this John!!!

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2009 6:47 PM

Good links and ideas. Thanks.

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2009 6:55 PM

John Fidel:
Here is a how I have mine categorized.

Great list! thanks.

Posts 287
Jerry Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2009 9:28 PM

First of all let me say thanks for ALL of the help you guys have giving in this post to my question. One more question I have went in and added all the steps giving to set up my collection and you know its always that one problem that won't let you complete you task. I've put all of my commentary series in but this one series will not show up at all it is the works of John Bunyan. How can I put this series in to one of the collection I've made?

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2009 9:54 PM

Hi Jerry,

From the Collections panel menu, open the collection that you want to add John Bunyan to and add the following phrase to the Rule:

OR series:"works of John Bunyan"

Otto

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS