Looking for Laptop to run Logos

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2591
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 10 2014 3:14 PM

I'm going to be getting a new laptop soon and was wondering what would be the best specs to run Logos?

I've read some posts in the forum that talk about having a SSD (I don't even know what that is).  Is that something that is needed?

My primary purpose for the laptop will be to run Logos.  The only other things I will use it for will be Powerpoint presentations and Word documents.

I would like to keep the cost between $600-$800.

Here are a couple links for laptops I have been looking at Dell.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15r-5537/pd?oc=dndou174h&model_id=inspiron-15r-5537

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15r-5537/pd?oc=fndou173h&model_id=inspiron-15r-5537

Any feedback is appreciated,

Thanks.

Posts 30487
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 10 2014 3:31 PM

I don't have much to add to your issue, but wanted to make sure you look into what you will need for PowerPoint. Do you intend to mirror (same exact image on both laptop and projector), or do you want to have an extended screen (separate image for projector & presentation notes on laptop)? Someone else will have to advise you better, but I think you might be better off with a dedicated graphics processor. Things have changed greatly since I used PC's... Maybe this isn't an issue now. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27859
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 10 2014 3:38 PM

The main differences are memory and hard drive, so go for the cheaper option if 500 GB is enough disk space.

A Solid State Drive (SSD) has no moving parts and is much, much faster than a hard drive (HDD), but also much more expensive - about $200 extra for 250 GB. The HDD's supplied are 5400 RPM but see if you can get (and afford) a 7200 RPM drive as it will be faster.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 225
Alex Bui | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 10 2014 4:24 PM

Hi Ronald,

You can add $50 for 128 GB SSD AND 500 GB 5400 RPM hard drive.  I prefer the i5 CPU.  You can put the OS, Logos, and the most often used software on the primary SSD, the rest you could put them on the secondary 500 GB hard drive.  Dave what do you think about this specs ?

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do?template_type=cto_config&config_id=1857143&003=6572684&010=E2S68AV_1857143&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=35-152614585-2&jumpid=ba_r329_hhocse&aoid=10071

If you watch out for weekend deep discount sales you can have a 128 GB SSD, a second 500 GB standard storage hard drive (you have plenty of storage if you have these two hard drives in your laptop),  and i5 CPU for around your budget range.  Good luck with your search, Smile.    

Caution:  The screen is only 13.3 inch instead of standard 15.5 inch.  If you split two windows, it could be small. 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 10 2014 4:57 PM

Dell Outlet on Twitter has a 25 % off discount code for Inspiron 15R - 5537 until 11 Jan 2014

With 25 % off, $ 699.00 becomes $ 524.25  (with a 7200 RPM drive that is up to 30 % faster than 5400 RPM).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 10 2014 5:52 PM

Ronald Quick:
I've read some posts in the forum that talk about having a SSD (I don't even know what that is).  Is that something that is needed?
I don't have a solid state drive and my laptop runs Logos well. However, it can be slow sometimes on searches. For this reason I would love to have a SSD and would recommend you look at that for an option. An IT guy in my church recommended getting a laptop with the space for an extra drive. Then you could put a smaller SSD in as a secondary drive just for Logos and the operating system. Everything else could be on the other hard drive. This would allow you to get away with a smaller SSD. My understanding is the price is directly tied to the size, so this could save you some money. 

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 10 2014 6:32 PM

Comparing the two laptops I have, the one with slower CPU but SSD starts Logos faster than the one with so-so CPU and hybrid drive. You are also able to work a little more continuously with an SSD if You are very fast at using Logos, but I hardly notice the difference. The slower CPU (in the one with an SSD) is quite slow: a 2009 Core 2 Duo 1.3 GHz.

Hybrid drive is similar to a HDD, but has a small SSD built-in on which it caches the most frequently used files for faster reading from and writing to the drive. The SSD-part in a hybrid drive is usually 16-32 GB right now. Mine is 8 GB but I noticed a significant speed increase when I changed the drive from a HDD (mirror the entire content of the old HDD to the new hybrid drive) to hybrid drive and put 7.6 GB RAM available instead of 1.6 GB RAM available.

Hybrid drives usually cost somewhat much more than the very cheapest new HDD of the same size that You can find, so most people are saying that a hybrid drive for Your other softwares (other than Windows and Logos) and files is overkill.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 9797
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 10 2014 6:33 PM

Ronald Quick:

In my opinion a SSD (solid state drive) is a great investment for those who use Logos extensively. I have been really pleased with mine and hardly notice when it is indexing. The main drawback I would see for you is that it may put the cost higher than your budget. But it is worth considering.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 10 2014 6:44 PM

Many (unless You don't have any huge collections/bundles or base-packages and have hidden all the books You don't read) have a too large Logos index file for the SSD part on a hybrid drive. Besides, if You would want indexing and searches perform fast on hybrid drive You would need to index AND do searches many times a day each day so that the index would stay on the SSD part of the hybrid drive and You would need an SSD part of the hybrid drive of at least 32 GB.

Clarification: An SSD is not a hybrid drive. An SSD consists of SSD only.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 2591
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 11 2014 6:26 AM

Thanks for all the replies - very helpful.

Posts 2591
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2014 5:45 AM

Is an extra $200 worth upgrading from i5 to i7.  I am comparing these 2 laptops and it looks like that is the only difference.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/configuration-compare.aspx?returnURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dell.com%2Fus%2Fp%2Flaptops.aspx%3F~ck%3Dmn%23!everyday-laptops

Thanks.

Posts 6776
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2014 6:04 AM

Ronald Quick:
s an extra $200 worth upgrading from i5 to i7.  I am comparing these 2 laptops and it looks like that is the only difference.

If you do not require the full 500 GB Hdd, spend the 200.00 and get a Sold State Drive as Dave suggested. It will make a huge difference in the way Logos runs. On a new computer, the boot up time is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced. I am running on a Pentium Dual-core 3.2GHZ and 4 GB of Ram. The Solid State Drive made a world of difference.

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 6776
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2014 6:12 AM

Shut down the computer and logged in and was functional in less than a minute. (Did not have anything with a second hand to get a better reading)

Logos loaded with a blank layout in less than 15 seconds.

Took about 10 seconds to bring up this layout.

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2014 6:16 AM

Ronald Quick:

Is an extra $200 worth upgrading from i5 to i7.  I am comparing these 2 laptops and it looks like that is the only difference.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/configuration-compare.aspx?returnURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dell.com%2Fus%2Fp%2Flaptops.aspx%3F~ck%3Dmn%23!everyday-laptops

Thanks.

If your main concern is running Logos, I don't think an i7 will be that much better than in i5. If you are editing video or something like that, then it would be worth the extra money.

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2014 10:07 PM

Ronald Quick:
Is an extra $200 worth upgrading from i5 to i7.

Personally prefer performance per dollar.  CPU benchmark list => http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

Intel Core i5-4200U has a passmark of 3348 so performance per dollar is 4.18505

Intel Core i7-4500U has a passmark of 3975 so performance per dollar is 4.18425

Note: i7-4500U is 18.72 % faster than i5-4200U, which should feel faster humanly.  The laptop price is 18.75 % more for the faster speed.

Windows 8 interface is different than Windows 7; suggest hands-on experience before purchase.  Swipe on trackpad from right edge to middle causes hidden menu to pop out from right side of screen.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2839
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 17 2014 8:04 PM

I have one laptop with an SSD and one with a hybrid HD/SSD. More RAM pretty much makes an SSD optional. I've never regretted buying more computer than I needed upfront. It means you can sit out at least one upgrade more than the folks who thought the cheapest computer was somehow a better deal. 

Laptops and PCs are a true buyer's market right now. Whatever didn't sell in December is overflowing the warehouses which were already full of machines from a weak market. Shop carefully, but you've got lots of good machines to choose from.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS