Tip of the Day

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 26 2009 10:58 AM

Greetings to all!

As I keep discovering little unheralded but handy features, I was thinking how neat it would be if as in some other softwares there was an option to display a tip whenever Logos 4 is opened.

I know that Morris Proctor sends out his tips and tricks page once in a while. But these are far and in between, and, since Logos 4 is new, it has tended to focus more on basic skills than on the little but handy features.

I am aware of the tips and hints page on the Logos wiki also, but again, it does not quite do what I have in mind. It has you start with a question about and then provides a tip. The "tips from the forum" page has the merit of encouraging forum use but since the answer is not provided straight out, the tips are not very immediate (much material must be sifted through even from within one thread).

By contrast, an opening tip is random (a bit like the serendipitous discovery feature) increasing the chances of learning of features one would not even think of looking up.

Other possibilities include: 1) Another forum yet dedicated to tips with a consolidated format (to keep it organized and hence more useful); 2) Other forms of regular (daily) posts such a blog or twitter dedicated to a "tip of the day". But I do think that an option to display a tip right at Logos 4 startup would make such information accessible to the most users.

Thoughts?

Francis

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 11:04 AM

Here is another possibility I would like to suggest if enough of us are interested in making it happen:

1) Use the subject header "Tip of the Day: {succint but telling tip description}" to post tips that can readily be spotted in the mass of posts.

2) In addition, tag all these posts as "Tip of the Day" to allow users to view all such posts easily (by searching by tag). This would allow also one to check whether the tip has already been posted.

Francis

Posts 430
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 12:08 PM

I'd enjoy a tip-of-the-day on start-up.

I'd like to see tips from the Logos programmers about all the little things that they've worked hard to create but are undocumented; also tips from the designers about how they envision various features being used.  This would be a quick way to get handy info out without overhauling the help documentation.

Dell XPS 8930/Intel Core i7-8700@3.20GHz/32GB RAM/Win10 Pro

Surface Pro 7/Intel Core i7-1065 G7@1.30GHz/16 GB RAM/Win10 Home

iPad Air/Pixel/Faithlife Connect

Posts 138
s f-k | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 2:56 PM

I second the motion. Tips of the day would be handy, though I would prefer that they put them on the home page since I tend to leave L4 open on my computer.

Good idea!

You should probably post this in the "suggestions" page of the forum.

Costa Rica

ESEPA Seminary

Posts 1749
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 6:22 PM

Provided we can turn them off, I've no objection to including such as feature.

Personally I would disable it: when I open Logos, it's because I want to do something.
When I have spare time to learn about the program, I go search the wiki.

Also, I don't "open" Logos often. It stays open all the time, so it's instantly available again when I wake the laptop.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS