A New Commentary on Holy Scripture Including the Apocrypha For $10

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 20 2014 6:28 PM

A New Commentary on Holy Scripture Including the Apocrypha

Is a new community pricing offering. Thought I would bring it to people's attention, hard to go wrong and over 1500 pages for $10. 

-Dan

Posts 6776
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 20 2014 6:33 PM

Placed a bid for $9.00

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 9797
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 20 2014 6:37 PM

I've placed my bid.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 20 2014 6:55 PM

Yes

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 21 2014 7:42 PM

Peace, Dan!                       Thank you!              *smile*                                Good to have been informed, eh?!     I'm in, of course!          *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 1749
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 21 2014 11:36 PM

Thanks, Dan.

Just for fun, here's the shortest commentary I've found on the whole Bible including the deutero-canonical books:
http://www.faith-theology.com/2014/01/canonfodder-shortest-ever-commentary-on.html

Each book is summarized as a tweet.
(Anyone without a sense of humor should not follow the link.)

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 22 2014 10:31 AM

Allen Browne:

Thanks, Dan.

Just for fun, here's the shortest commentary I've found on the whole Bible including the deutero-canonical books:
http://www.faith-theology.com/2014/01/canonfodder-shortest-ever-commentary-on.html

Each book is summarized as a tweet.
(Anyone without a sense of humor should not follow the link.)

Very cute... Not a fan of tweeter, perhaps i should turn it into a ebook... the Twitter Bible, and I thought those little tinny thumb bibles you sometimes won at Sunday School were all too brief.

-Dan

Posts 5921
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2014 7:44 PM

What sort of theological position on things like biblical inerrancy, typology, historical criticism, etc. do the editors take?

(NB: I don't want to start a discussion of theology. Just of their theology.)

The price is quite tempting for the size.

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & not waste others' time. Thanks!

Posts 35585
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2014 8:32 PM

SineNomine:
What sort of theological position on things like biblical inerrancy, typology, historical criticism, etc. do the editors take?

The Logos page indicates that there are a variety of perspectives presented but all within the Anglican tradition post WW I

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5921
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 26 2014 7:13 AM

MJ. Smith:

SineNomine:

The Logos page indicates that there are a variety of perspectives presented but all within the Anglican tradition post WW I

I wish I knew what the state of the Anglican tradition was at that point. I don't really know much about the state of the Anglican tradition between about 1850 (i.e., shortly after Newman left it) until quite recently. I'm most interested in the commentary's principal editors - Charles Gore, H. L. Goudge, and Alfred Guillaume. According to Wiki, Bishop Gore effectively split the Oxford Movement into something rather like it already had been and a more doctrinally 'liberal' branch, but I can't really tell where he himself actually stood, especially in the late part of his career in which this commentary was published.

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & not waste others' time. Thanks!

Posts 8940
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 26 2014 9:20 AM

Something must be wrong with the page.  It was $9 when I placed my order for $9 and now it's says projected price is $8 bucks.  Is it closing soon or did they just drop the price or is there a glitch on the server?

DAL

Posts 12492
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 26 2014 9:51 AM

DAL:
 It was $9 when I placed my order for $9 and now it's says projected price is $8 bucks.  Is it closing soon or did they just drop the price or is there a glitch on the server?

Neither. Your bid of $9 is a bid for all price-points up to $9. Others may have bid only $8 - and currently the total of all bids at $8 (which includes yours) is higher than the total of all bids at $9 (which also includes yours, but doesn't include those who bid $8). The projected price will fluctuate, depending on bids.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 937
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 30 2014 2:59 PM

SineNomine:
ut I can't really tell where he himself actually stood, especially in the late part of his career in which this commentary was published.

Gore's position on inerrancy, though often misunderstood, would definitely fall on the more liberal side (though I would guess Gore would want to nuance that). For example, Gore developed an understanding of the Kenotic theory of the Incarnation that included omniscience as one of the things that the Second Person of the Trinity emptied himself of when he became man. In doing so, Jesus took on the knowledge of an average first-century Jew. Therefore, when Jesus referred to things like the Mosaic authorship of the Pentateuch (e.g. John 5.46-47), he was talking about them from that first-century perspective and not authoritatively.  Consequently, said Gore, we can question Mosaic authorship of the Pentateuch without questioning Jesus' authority or somehow denying his divinity (by implying that he got his facts wrong).

Gore clarified and defended his position in an introduction to the 10th edition of Lux Mundi.  For example, he said that he was not trying to support all the conclusions of someone like Wellhausen but the conclusions agreed upon by Wellhausen and more conservative scholars like Delitzsch.

So, all that to say, if you're looking for a strong position on inerrancy, a la Warfield and Hodge, you'll probably be disappointed with Gore.  At the same time, he's no Marcus Borg. Smile

Senior Director, Bible Study Products

Posts 5921
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 30 2014 5:20 PM

First off, thank you Ben for your post. Yes

Ben Amundgaard:
So, all that to say, if you're looking for a strong position on inerrancy, a la Warfield and Hodge, you'll probably be disappointed with Gore.  At the same time, he's no Marcus Borg.

That's fair. I'm used to scholars with similarly liberal-yet-not-Borg views of biblical inerrancy and a lot of the more recent writing I've encountered rests at least implicitly on an understanding of divine omniscience not terribly far from Gore's as you've given it. So this is neither better nor worse than I (a Thomist) had expected. I will consider putting in a bid. (I'd be even more pleased if anyone reading this can give me more information on the commentary.)

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 30 2014 5:51 PM

SineNomine:

(I'd be even more pleased if anyone reading this can give me more information on the commentary.)

You can see The Gospel According to St. Mark reprinted from the commentary here: https://archive.org/details/gospelaccordingt00turn

For what it's worth, I discovered through a Google search that in 1944 C.S. Lewis called it "probably the best single book of modern comment on the Bible" (The Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis, Volume 3, p. 1548).

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Posts 5921
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 30 2014 6:01 PM

Timothy Brown:
You can see The Gospel According to St. Mark reprinted from the commentary here: https://archive.org/details/gospelaccordingt00turn

I think I'll take a look at that this weekend. Thank you.

Timothy Brown:
For what it's worth, I discovered through a Google search that in 1944 C.S. Lewis called it "probably the best single book of modern comment on the Bible" (The Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis, Volume 3, p. 1548).

Coming from Lewis, that is worth something, in my book. Maybe Logos should use that remark in its advertising for the commentary...

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 30 2014 6:09 PM

Thanks for the heads up on a preview on Mark and that endorsement from C. S. Lewis to me is an extremely impressive endorsement to me.

-Dan

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS