Maybe the Oxford English Dictionary can be in Logos Someday

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 296
Bruce Roth | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 21 2014 7:53 PM

Saw an article in the New York Times today in reference to the new editor of the OED. We might have the possibility of seeing it in Logos someday. 

"Mr. Proffitt advocates links in digitized literature to O.E.D. entries; he wants more use by students, whose distinction between “dictionary” and “web search” is increasingly blurred; he is also willing to license O.E.D. data to other companies."

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/22/books/oeds-new-chief-editor-speaks-of-its-future.html

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 21 2014 9:17 PM

Bruce Roth:
"Mr. Proffitt advocates links in digitized literature to O.E.D. entries; he wants more use by students, whose distinction between “dictionary” and “web search” is increasingly blurred; he is also willing to license O.E.D. data to other companies."

COOL!     I hate to have my hopes dashed but this does sound encouraging.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 855
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 22 2014 10:41 AM

This would be great. 

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 22 2014 12:03 PM

That would be excellent - otherwise, it's really a wasted resource for the most part.  

“To love means loving the unlovable.  To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable.  Faith means believing the unbelievable.  Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.” ~Chesterton

Posts 497
Greg Masone | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 22 2014 5:44 PM

I know Bob really likes dictionaries, so maybe he can get in touch with the new OED president and see whether Logos' tools can help out with the "super dictionary" talked about in the article?

Logos may very well be uniquely positioned in the market to make something like that viable.

At the very least, if they want Noet to get off the ground, getting the OED someway into Logos would go a long way towards helping that goal.

Anyone forward Bob that article yet?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS