If you primarily run Logos 5 from a Windows tablet computer

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 24 2014 10:29 PM

Would you please sign in. I would like to know how many of. Us there might be.

A small humble insignificant group, I am sure.  All the more reason that I want to know you are out there.  For me, there is no turning back.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 3665
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 24 2014 10:34 PM

Don't know if I count or not.  I use a hybrid - a laptop whose scteen can be used as a tablet.  I use it in both modes.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 24 2014 10:52 PM

I would certainly count you, Floyd.  After all I have an attachable keyboard for my tablet, making it function as a laptop, too.  I use it almost as much as a laptop as a tablet when I think about it.  But I use the touch screen a lot in with or without the keyboard or blue ray mouse.  It is just so natural to do so.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 513
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2014 6:46 AM

I have L5 on a Dell XPS 12 and really like it. The screen can flip around and be used as a touch screen. Not my only installation of L5, of course, but the device I find myself using the most often.Probably because of its portability.

Posts 10230
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2014 7:02 AM

I'm like Floyd.  I've never heard of a blue-ray mouse, but have an active stylus (Wacom).  That's probably why after 4 yrs of L4/5 on a tablet, I haven't been too bothered with Logos' mousey ways.  

Posts 1844
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2014 7:06 AM

For initial study and reading I use my iPad Air, and as I take notes and want to develop thoughts or explore the trail in front of me, I go to my laptop.

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2014 8:14 AM

While I wouldn't consider it as my primary, I do enjoy and wouldn't won't to be without Logos on my Windows tablet when away from my desktop or where there is no wifi.

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2014 8:24 AM

I would like to one day.

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2014 8:29 AM

Denise:

I'm like Floyd.  I've never heard of a blue-ray mouse, but have an active stylus (Wacom).  That's probably why after 4 yrs of L4/5 on a tablet, I haven't been too bothered with Logos' mousey ways.  

I am beginning to show my age.  Of course, I meant a blue-tooth mouse, which I use so it doesn't tie up my USB port on my Surface Pro 2.  I have the USB port clear for the printer.

I use a combination of the blue tooth mouse and the touch screen because my fingers are sometimes too fat, and the mouse helps. I find that the tablet with the combination of the touch screen and the mouse makes my Logos work go smoother and quicker than even on a desktop, and it so portable.  And it so nice for reading on the tablet using the touch screen to scroll, just like holding it like a book in my hand.  Then just snapping on the keyboard if needed.  Not to mention always having Personal Books.  But you know all that.

I do use a stylus for taking Logos notes by hand in OneNote.  Last week I attended a Conference and heard a wonderful lecture by Dr. Maxie Dunnam.  On my tablet, I had Logos open following along for the Scripture.  I also had OneNote open taking notes by hand and recording the audio of the lecture at the same time.  Now if I click on any note I took, OneNote will play the audio of what Dr. Dunnam was saying when I wrote that note.  If I want, it will convert my handwritten notes into text.  This dumb ole man is slap amazed at this.  It makes using Logos so much more better as we say down here.  Wish I had had all this when I was in seminary.

Obviously, I am excited about using Logos on a Windows tablet, and I hope as Logos moves forward they will strive to make the program even more tablet friendly.  However, as stated, I already prefer using Logos 5 on my tablet to my desktop or laptop.   I have stopped using my desktop and given my laptop to my daughter. 

And I am interested in any tips that others have learned, and how you are doing it. 

Posts 3665
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2014 8:47 AM

When I use my hybrid as a laptop, I use a wireless mouse (HP).

i have used a Wacom stylus for many years; I wish my hybrid had one, rather than the very poor resolution capacitive stylus.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 10230
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2014 9:33 AM

I got a bluetooth stylus for my iPad for tighter control.  Mainly I wanted a feel of the Japanese brush for writing. 

I wonder if there's such for Windows tablets that don't embed a Wacom-ish interface?

I will say (and hope I don't get slammed), that the MS tablet is a lot more stable for software. I think a good half of my iPad apps (all highly starred and pricey) have bugs that demand stopping to find a workaround. I'm guessing it's due to process demanded at Apple (which I appreciate).   But it's a relief to work over on the MS tablet for longer time-periods.

Posts 1857
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2014 12:46 PM

Michael Childs:

Denise:

I am beginning to show my age.  Of course, I meant a blue-tooth mouse, which I use so it doesn't tie up my USB port on my Surface Pro 2.  I have the USB port clear for the printer.

I use a combination of the blue tooth mouse and the touch screen because my fingers are sometimes too fat, and the mouse helps. I find that the tablet with the combination of the touch screen and the mouse makes my Logos work go smoother and quicker than even on a desktop, and it so portable.  And it so nice for reading on the tablet using the touch screen to scroll, just like holding it like a book in my hand.  Then just snapping on the keyboard if needed.  Not to mention always having Personal Books.  But you know all that.

I do use a stylus for taking Logos notes by hand in OneNote.  Last week I attended a Conference and heard a wonderful lecture by Dr. Maxie Dunnam.  On my tablet, I had Logos open following along for the Scripture.  I also had OneNote open taking notes by hand and recording the audio of the lecture at the same time.  Now if I click on any note I took, OneNote will play the audio of what Dr. Dunnam was saying when I wrote that note.  If I want, it will convert my handwritten notes into text.  This dumb ole man is slap amazed at this.  It makes using Logos so much more better as we say down here.  Wish I had had all this when I was in seminary.

Obviously, I am excited about using Logos on a Windows tablet, and I hope as Logos moves forward they will strive to make the program even more tablet friendly.  However, as stated, I already prefer using Logos 5 on my tablet to my desktop or laptop.   I have stopped using my desktop and given my laptop to my daughter. 

And I am interested in any tips that others have learned, and how you are doing it. 

Michael, I believe we are kindred souls. I echo many of your statements about the mouse, the stylus, and the portability/full-functionality of the Microsoft Surface. When at home I am using a Microsoft wi-fi mouse. I use a USB hub which allows me to connect my external hard drive and my mouse both to the one USB port on the Surface. I also use the Mini-DVI connector (via a dongle) to add an external monitor for more screen real estate.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 5095
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2014 1:06 PM

David Thomas:

Michael Childs:

Denise:

Michael, I believe we are kindred souls. I echo many of your statements about the mouse, the stylus, and the portability/full-functionality of the Microsoft Surface. When at home I am using a Microsoft wi-fi mouse. I use a USB hub which allows me to connect my external hard drive and my mouse both to the one USB port on the Surface. I also use the Mini-DVI connector (via a dongle) to add an external monitor for more screen real estate.

David so are you saying you are using just the one external monitor or two?

Posts 1857
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 26 2014 3:53 PM

Disciple of Christ (doc):

David so are you saying you are using just the one external monitor or two?

One external monitor. Connected as per photo

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 5095
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 26 2014 8:27 PM

Ok thanks, I though you meant one, but was hoping you were using two.  I'm thinking about a Surface Pro when they do the next model release.  

Do any of you Surface Pro owners use the docking station that is available for it?

Posts 1202
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 26 2014 9:15 PM

I used Logos 5 from a convertible for a long time; after Win7 came unglued on it, I changed over to a Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus (what a name!)--it has a touch screen, which comes in handy.  The trackpad drives me nuts with Logos; best I can figure, I must keep brushing it with a finger when I am using the keyboard, causing undesired behavior.

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 27 2014 4:53 PM

HI Mr. Childs

I still long to ditch my Toshibia Pentium Laptop and use Logos 5.0 in all its glory at Bible Study on Tuesday Nights and even while in a pew on Sunday Mornings while my pastor is preaching, perhaps even with my digitizer pen in my hand, a Bible open, and one commentary as I follow along next to it?

Am I just dreaming?

(for anyone paying attention to these things I think I once promised I wouldnt dwell on such things...but God help me, I still am.)

Posts 80
Daniel R Bartholomew | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 27 2014 6:53 PM

I use Logos 5.2 on a Surface Pro running Windows 8.1.  It's my primary computer.  Love it, and love Logos.

FWIW, for years I used an Acer Travelmate C110 with Logos 3.0.  If you remember the Travelmate C110, it was a little WIndows XP Tablet that came out in 2003 or so.  Other than pitiful battery life, it was a workhorse that I used for years.  I still have it, and it still works (other than a bad CMOS battery so the time has to be reset every time it's turned back on).  Even back then I would occasionally take my Tablet to Church.

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 27 2014 10:10 PM

I think we are a part of the Logos family that will grow rapidly. Definitely a minority, but a growing minority.  I have hit my sweet spot with the Surface Pro 2, but there are more and more choices for a Windows tablet or convertible out there.  And prices are falling.  Since I needed to replace my laptop, my Surface Pro 2 really didn't cost much more than I would have spent on a quality laptop, and it really is all I need for Logos.  It converts huge documents into personal books in a matter of minutes, and handles all I need.  The battery life is about 5 hours, but that has been adequate for me.  At work in my office, I plug it in, and that means on the go or at night 5 hours is more than enough.  It is certainly a fair trade off for the computing power, and my laptop didn't get any more.  And reading on it is a pleasure for me.

Logos is surprisingly natural to use in Windows 8 with touch screen and wireless mouse or stylus.  And there are tools that make taking notes, etc., really nice when used with Logos. 

Thanks to everyone who has or will share their experience.

Posts 428
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 28 2014 4:17 AM

As discussed elsewhere on the fora, I am looking forward to buying a Windows Surface Pro 2 at some point, and will be thrilled to have Logos with me, and eminently readable, everywhere (I currently have a laptop and an iPod... I don't like reading at a laptop for any length of time... mine's too large, and needless to say, the iPod is the other extreme... :-)

Can't wait! :)

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS