A techie question...so if I buy a Microsoft Surface Pro 2...

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 566
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 27 2014 3:49 AM

... can I have Logos run off a 64-gig MicroSD card instead of having it take up valuable space on the tablet itself? Assuming of course my installation can fit on such a card, which it can.

Thanks! Happy Snowy Monday, all! (at least here in Kingston, Ontario, Canada!) Big Smile

C.

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 27 2014 4:25 AM

You computer treats your SD card just like another hard drive, however, you will want to be careful about the quality (speed) of the SD card. Cheaper SD cards are slow and remember no SD card will be as fast as a SSD.

Posts 566
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 27 2014 4:33 AM

Got it, Keith. Thanks for that! I wasn't aware of the speed thing varying by quality, but it makes perfect sense.

Posts 904
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 27 2014 6:29 AM

C,  You may want to read through this thread regarding Logos on SD cards in tablets.  --Bro. Mark

"I read dead people..."

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 27 2014 6:32 AM

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell:

I wasn't aware of the speed thing varying by quality ...

Look for the Class rating on the card.  Class 4 is faster than Class 2; Class 10 is faster that Class 4, UHS Class 3 is faster that UHS Class 1, etc.  Price goes up when the capability goes up.  As with most storage devices its a two way street.  The host interface on your computer may dictate some limitations if you have an older computer.

It would be good to take a look at the Wikipedia article on Secure Digital.

Posts 2896
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 27 2014 10:21 PM

Keith Larson:

You computer treats your SD card just like another hard drive, however, you will want to be careful about the quality (speed) of the SD card. Cheaper SD cards are slow and remember no SD card will be as fast as a SSD.

That is exactly right.  Personally, I put all my music and pictures and video on the 64 GB SSD card so it would not take up room on my Surface Pro 2 hard drive.  But that is just me.

In addition they gave me 200 GB free space in the cloud for 2 years.  Wouldn't put Logos files there, of course, but it does pretty much guarantee no space problems on the hard drive.

By the way, a good 64 Gig micro SD card can be bought for around $50, or less, if you are careful and shop the net.  That is a lot of space that you can free up on the faster hard drive.  The result was it gave me over a 300 Gig hard drive on the Surface Pro instead of the 256 Gig.  Lots of room for Logos.  And you can pick up that SD card later if you need to, rather than when you are stretching to buy the Surface Pro.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 566
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 28 2014 4:12 AM

Thanks Michael... I think I see what you mean: by putting Logos directly on the SP2, I benefit from the (probably faster) SSD, as opposed to the (probably slower) SD card where I can just put music and stuff?

Well then, let's open it up a bit, since I have the ear of all you Practical Folks out there... what other content would you tend to leave off the SSD and put on an SD drive instead?

Thanks all, this has been really helpful! Yes

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 28 2014 4:30 AM

Just a thought. Have you purchased the Surface yet. If not my advice is to put the money you will spend on a SD card towards upgrading the Surface Pro. In a year or two it is likely you will be kicking yourself for not spending that extra $200.

As for the SD card I would point my entire "My Documents", "My Music", "My Pictures", "My Video" folders to the SD. None of these things need speed.

Posts 80
Daniel R Bartholomew | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 28 2014 8:29 AM

I, too, have Logos on the SSD on my Surface Pro, and have my music on my SD Card.  Documents and pictures, however, I generally keep in the Sky Drive--useful to access everywhere, and backed up online.  (I also back up these on my 2 Tb external drive at home...belt-and-suspenders, you know...)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS