Jehovah's Witnesses Works

Page 1 of 3 (58 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 57 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2135
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 29 2014 12:03 PM

IMO, one of the best things about Logos is its broad library of resources. This breadth serves a wide array of theological perspectives and enables the study of opinions that differ from your own. There's great value in being able to cite a primary source, rather than always relying on a secondary one.

This quest to have a broad and comprehensive library for students of the Bible is seen in our launch of Noet, where we're focusing on classics, history, philosophy, literature, etc.

In our attempt to provide broad religious coverage, we've offered works on Islam and Mormonism (both for and against).

1. The Qu'ran (English) and The Qur'an (Arabic)
  2. Islamic Studies Collection (34 vols.)
  3. The Works of Samuel M. Zwemer (18 vols.) (cf. these)
  4. Mormon Studies Collection (45 vols.) (cf. these)

It seems like Jehovah's Witnesses works make a next obvious step in rounding out our coverage of important world religions. But before we start posting this content on Community Pricing, I wanted to get your feedback.

1. Do you appreciate our offering broad religious content in Logos?
  2. Would you be interested in having JW content in Logos?
  3. Is there a different group we should focus on first?
  4. Which would you rather have first: content from a JW perspective or content that provides a critical assessment of that perspective?
  5. Any specific recommendations on content we should prioritize? (e.g., the works of Charles Taze Russell?)

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 12:15 PM

I wouldn't purchase it, but I'm not necessarily against it if it helps other to reach out them.

I would definitely prefer to see more Jewish works & studies first, personally.

Posts 163
Sakarias Ingolfsson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 12:32 PM

I would also suggest that foreign language bibles might be a higher priority. 

Posts 1034
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 12:38 PM

The more resources the better, just as long as:

Logos does not feel the need to hide stuff that the poor delicate little flowers may find offensive.

Logos does not seek to put their theology on a similar footing to Christian theology in the various Logos tools, I know this is a value judgement but so be it.

And finally Mr Gons, for the love of all that is holy please put new stuff on your blog, its a really great Blog that has been fallow for too long.

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 12:41 PM

I am always for having more primary source materials in Logos... I much prefer to read what was originally said, AND then read modern interpretations. So I think it would be of benefit to have more primary materials from other religions (and secondary subsequently).

Would like to see an increase in the Jewish materials because that can be directly relevant to interpreting scripture. But yes, I would be interested in JW (Scientology, the eastern religions like Taoism, Shinto, Ba'hai, and so forth... basically any cult or religion that a pastor, or missionary might encounter that has published materials); both  primary and secondary materials, especially secondary materials from an apologetic perspective.

You may want to partner with Carm.org to publish their copious self published (and freely available) library of apologetic and evangelistic materials.

May even be a good hook to draw more people into Logos by way of their ministry.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 98
Xegesis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 12:48 PM

Can Logos please get the Kingdom Interlinear Translation that the Jehovah's Witnesses use?  That would help to show them from the greek how the Watchtower has corrupted God's word.

Posts 1558
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 12:52 PM

"I would definitely prefer to see more Jewish works & studies first, personally."

What Randy said. And from a Mormon perspective, Logos' "for" offerings (old public domain sermons) hardly stack up vs. the "against" (much more recent but seriously flawed works of the Evangelical anti-cult category). As is apparent from the comments, many only read the works of other traditions in order to better "stick it to them", doctrinally speaking. 

If Logos wishes to shed its past reputation as being by and for Protestants of a certain brand (as many of its customers apparently wish it to remain), it should continue expanding as it has with its Catholic books. 

Edit: Of course, there is constraint from publishers and market forces. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 12:55 PM

By all means though I would be more eager to see The Sacred Books of the East before some other modern cults.  I don't suppose there is a possibility of splitting this into more affordable sections which is a shame since it might facilitate more bids.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 32970
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 1:06 PM

I am always pleased to see Logos broaden its base. I also have the same concerns as Ben regarding the danger of con overwhelming the pro. I'd like to see it as a broadening of your base not as canon fodder. I've watched the apparent partnership with the Seventh-day Adventists produce major blocks of their works and would like to see that with other groups that have an publishing house to work with.

For smaller groups, Jehovah's Witnesses is a fine next step although personally I'd prefer Christian Scientist or Unity Church.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 1:08 PM

Phil Gons:
Do you appreciate our offering broad religious content in Logos?
YES, YES, AND YES!!!!!!!  The broader the content the better.

Phil Gons:
Would you be interested in having JW content in Logos?
depends on the cost and how much $$$ I have at that time.

Phil Gons:
Is there a different group we should focus on first?
I would say pick the low lying fruit first.  If JW is easier to do than another group's documents, then do JW.  If another group's documents would be easier to put into Logos, then do the other group.

Phil Gons:
Which would you rather have first: content from a JW perspective
JW perspective.  

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 1:10 PM

MJ. Smith:
I also have the same concerns as Ben regarding the danger of con overwhelming the pro.
Yes

Posts 1034
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 1:16 PM

The advantage of public domain is that you do not see royalties flowing into the Watchtower which is not something that I think many (both inside and outside of Logos) would find acceptable.  

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 1:27 PM

Mike Pettit:

The advantage of public domain is that you do not see royalties flowing into the Watchtower which is not something that I think many (both inside and outside of Logos) would find acceptable.  

Yes

I wouldn't want my money going to any cult, false religion, or any religious group that twists scripture to the point where they stray into the territory of worshiping some other (little g on purpose) god.

Obviously, thats hard to follow with something like a base package...

Ben:

"I would definitely prefer to see more Jewish works & studies first, personally."

What Randy said. And from a Mormon perspective, Logos' "for" offerings (old public domain sermons) hardly stack up vs. the "against" (much more recent but seriously flawed works of the Evangelical anti-cult category). As is apparent from the comments, many only read the works of other traditions in order to better "stick it to them", doctrinally speaking. 

If Logos wishes to shed its past reputation as being by and for Protestants of a certain brand (as many of its customers apparently wish it to remain), it should continue expanding as it has with its Catholic books. 

Edit: Of course, there is constraint from publishers and market forces. 

I think you are addressing me - so I'll reply. I have no desire to "stick it" to anyone. My purpose and how I desire to come across should mirror 2 peter 3:9. As a protestant talking with a mormon, we have some fundamental disagreements. Disagreements I would be happy to talk to you about in a more private setting if you would like. Feel free to email me (and this is the email I sign up for mailing lists with... so if it gets spammed I'll not be surprised or inconvenienced) at jsschrstrcks at gmail dot com.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 32970
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 1:35 PM

Mike Pettit:

I'm already supporting lots of resources that I consider trash theology ... as I often do when purchasing in dead tree format. If you do not purchase the resource then you will send no royalties to Watchtower. I think most of us can handle that. I don't want to be limited to material that is often out of date and difficult to read.

Note: Catholics produce their fair share of trash theology don't assume I'm singling out a group - its particular authors.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 2:00 PM

Phil Gons:

1. Do you appreciate our offering broad religious content in Logos?
  2. Would you be interested in having JW content in Logos?
  3. Is there a different group we should focus on first?
  4. Which would you rather have first: content from a JW perspective or content that provides a critical assessment of that perspective?
  5. Any specific recommendations on content we should prioritize? (e.g., the works of Charles Taze Russell?)

Answers:

1. Yes, I like broad religious content in Logos.
  2. Yes, I'd like JW content in Logos.
  3. Church of Christ (Stone-Campbell) Big Smile
  4. I like source material.
  5. No recommendations. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 5395
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 2:10 PM

By all means, Logos should create a CP for the PD works of JW, PDQ and ASAP, IMO.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 1034
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 2:12 PM

MJ. Smith:

Mike Pettit:

I'm already supporting lots of resources that I consider trash theology ... as I often do when purchasing in dead tree format. If you do not purchase the resource then you will send no royalties to Watchtower. I think most of us can handle that. I don't want to be limited to material that is often out of date and difficult to read.

Note: Catholics produce their fair share of trash theology don't assume I'm singling out a group - its particular authors.

I own the Verbum package and am a Westminster confession guy so I do not necessarily disagree, but I do differentiate when it comes to groups like these and like it or not Logos would suffer a backlash if it started helping fund the watchtower. Logos would forgo any meaningful claim it had to having any Christian roots.

I know that many here would disagree but Logos would be antagonising some of its strongest supporters if it went this far.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 2:37 PM

David Paul:

By all means, Logos should create a CP for the PD works of JW, PDQ and ASAP, IMO.

I'm not sure about PDQ unless it's PDQ Bach.  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 5395
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 3:04 PM

Mike Pettit:

I know that many here would disagree but Logos would be antagonising some of its strongest supporters if it went this far.

Not to be...whatever...but--so? I would suggest that anyone and everyone should take a deep, calming breath...and then double-check their own fortresses for breaches in the walls before attempting to assail the compounds of those who are other-minded. Otherwise, while you are off having fun storming someone else's castle, you might find your own fortress wasn't nearly as unassailable as you suspected.

Why are you so convinced JWs are wrong? Unless you have direct, personal experience, making such a claim is worthless...unless you can document the claims. The best way to do that is through JW's own materials. Since everyone is under obligation to prove all things and hold fast that which is true, attempting to circumvent someone's ability to do that through censorship is extremely counterproductive. In all cases, evidence of some sort is needed to make a proper decision for or against. That is what some folks are asking Logos to supply where JWs are concerned.

And besides, believe it or not, what you believe may not hold up very well under scrutiny, either. Since that is the case, should we dismiss your position sight unseen?

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 387
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 3:49 PM

Some of Ankerberg's books would be good.

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Page 1 of 3 (58 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS