Clause Search Frustrations

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 73
Chuck Lindsey | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 30 2014 11:53 AM

Is anyone able to actually use Clause Search? Maybe I am doing something wrong but I can't ever seem to get any results from it. For example... I just tried, "subject:know person:Jesus" nothing.

I don't get it... I can't ever seem to get a clause search to give me anything.

Posts 11936
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 30 2014 12:05 PM

Chuck Lindsey:

Is anyone able to actually use Clause Search? Maybe I am doing something wrong but I can't ever seem to get any results from it. For example... I just tried, "subject:know person:Jesus" nothing.

I don't get it... I can't ever seem to get a clause search to give me anything.

"know" isn't a subject, "to know" is a verb which may be looked for e.g. as a Greek lemma. 

EDIT:

maybe you got confused with the double meaning of subject in English. It may mean "topic" in some circumstances, but here it is used as a grammatical term regarding the function in a sentence or clause. The search I proposed looks like this: person:Jesus verb-lemma:οἶδα 

The green box is the simple thing which you might find with a usual bible search: Jesus is spelled by name, the lemma has been translated as "knew" i.e. past tense of "to know". 

The yellow box shows a hit were Jesus is addressed with "you", in the blue box, Jesus is "the man". Those hits can only be found with the referent database underlying the clause search. Of course you could try to refine things e.g. if your search interest is "knowing Jesus", then Jesus is an object, whereas if you want to research what Jesus knew, he'd be the subject of the clause.  

Hope this helps.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 43
depdad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 1 2014 3:46 PM

I have the same problem. I do a phrase search, looking for all the instances of that phrase in either the Bible translations or in my Library. I end up with one set of Scriptures and no instances of the phrase. Yet, I do the same thing in the WordSearch Bible program, and I find many instances.

Is there another way to do a phrase search beside trying to type it in the "Go" bar?

Posts 26809
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 1 2014 8:47 PM

Richard John Shannon:
I have the same problem.

Phrase search and Clause Search are not the same!

Richard John Shannon:
Is there another way to do a phrase search beside trying to type it in the "Go" bar?

A phrase has to be enclosed with quotation marks  e.g. "Jesus wept". Click the Search icon (magnifying glass) and you can use Basic Search or Bible Search to look for a phrase. You may have more complicated phrases, so provide examples if you still get no results.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS