For What It is Worth ... LOGOS Updates

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 30
Paul T. McCain | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 5 2014 5:46 AM

I really with LOGOS would stop pushing updates as frequently as they do and resource updates. It would be nice simply to start up the program without always having to have an update to download, or a resource refresh. LOGOS is the only software I own that has this kind of irritating approach to updates. Once a month would be fine, but nearly every day?

Posts 22275
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 5 2014 5:58 AM

Hi Paul

This is a topic which you will see discussed repeatedly on these forums.

Some people object to the frequency of updates, other are pleased to know that their resources are being maintained, corrected, enhanced.

Are you aware that you can set "Automatically Download Updates" (in "Program Settings") to "No" which gives you total control as to when updates are downloaded. With this setting they will queue up until you want to accept them. What you can't do is selectively say whether you want particular updates

Graham 

Posts 1918
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 5 2014 7:08 AM

Graham Criddle:
Are you aware that you can set "Automatically Download Updates" (in "Program Settings") to "No" which gives you total control as to when updates are downloaded.

The phrase "total control" seems a little strong. I've not seen a situation where I can skip a program update if I have new resources (or updates) awaiting download, or vice versa. I'd like a way to be able to skip program updates (explicitly) but still get new resources / updates. Yesterday's program update is a good example - didn't affect me in any way, there's always a risk that an update will go wrong, and I'll get the changes in the next program update I choose to accept.

Donnie

Posts 10547
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 5 2014 7:23 AM

My impression (emphasis 'impression') after four years of use and carefully reading the forum (and not remembering), is that the argument 'you can turn off the updates' doesn't hold any water at all (no offense, Graham).

As I understand it, if you send money to Logos for a book, and then you want to 'read' the book (always a big question with forum members), you WILL do your updates.

So, saying 'turn off updates' I THINK means buy books, just don't actually read them?  (I'm of course assuming the purpose for Logos, but again that's an assumption).

I'll leave out the part about the two gig of updates arriving before the purchased book.  Also the 'free' books.  As much as this sounds like grousing (and it  is), I used to buy Logos books a lot (and at regular prices for goodness sakes). But I think my last purchased book from Logos (outside of CP/PP) was maybe 3-4 months ago.  

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 13379
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 5 2014 8:32 AM

Donnie Hale:
I'd like a way to be able to skip program updates (explicitly) but still get new resources / updates.

You can do this in two ways:

1. Let the update download, but decline to install it.
  2. Set your update channel to something random, so Logos no longer gets update notifications. Then subscribe to the update RSS feed so you know when updates are available: https://clientservices.logos.com/update/v1/feed/logos5/stable.xml 

That said, some resources updates depend on program updates, so you'd be missing out (and possibly not know you were missing out).

Posts 22275
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 5 2014 9:44 AM

Donnie Hale:
The phrase "total control" seems a little strong.

Sorry - I tried to expand on it in the extra detail I provided but I may not have been clear enough.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS