New New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology and Exegesis

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 286
Mathew Voth | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 10 2014 5:36 PM

Check it out, a complete update and revision of the classic!

Also, help pick the cover!

Which one do you like?

http://www.koinoniablog.net/2014/02/give-cover-feedback-for-new-international-dictionary-new-testament-theology-exegesis.html

Posts 9483
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 10 2014 5:46 PM

Well that needs to be in Logos ASAP (as soon as it's published).

1A, 4A

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 286
Mathew Voth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 10 2014 5:50 PM

I said 2b and 4b. Yes, this need to get added asap! 

Wish we could have an upgrade price...

Posts 2883
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 10 2014 8:43 PM

I take it this is an update of Colin Brown's excellent resource.  I wonder if there will be a special upgrade price for those who have Colin a Brown?

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 670
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2014 7:47 AM

Some good recommendations for it on the site from Carson and others.

I wonder will the Old Testament one be revised as well?

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2014 10:26 AM

Stephen Steele:

Some good recommendations for it on the site from Carson and others.

I wonder will the Old Testament one be revised as well?

NO idea but the OT set is a good 20 years younger.

-Dan

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2014 11:38 AM

I just hope Zondervan is not doing the same thing they did with The Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible that was supposedly also "thoroughly revised", "provides up-to-date entries based on the latest scholarship", "includes new articles in addition to thorough updates and improvements of existing topics", and "articles alphabetically arranged for easy reference" but in reality ended up being more of the same with little added value and certainly not worth what they were asking for, especially for those who already had the previous edition. This set is doing so well that less than five years after its publication it is selling on Amazon as a bargain bin item for a fraction of its original cost thus showing its true value.

What worries me about Zondervan's marketing is the project has the same revision editor (Moisés Silva), they seems to be making a bigger deal about the choice of cover than the actual contents of and changes in the NIDNTTE. Even when it comes to changes it is more about format ("streamlined for easier use through a new alphabetical structure according to Greek words, semantic domain index,"), corrections, and updated bibliography.

For those using the old edition in an electronic format, these changes are less important since Logos  allows for easier navigation between entries based on Greek words.

When it comes to content, Zondervan remains vague (800 entries covering 3,000 Greek words does not mean much in light of the change of structure from English to Greek). It is not easy to determine the amount of new content. Nothing I see so far proves that it is really a major revision and not another instance of what happened with the Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible which they claimed was also "thoroughly revised".

Until I know exactly the depth and extent of the revision process, I am not buying it (figuratively and literally).

Posts 35
Triskal | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 3:11 AM

Zondervan released a primer recently. I compared the primer and the older version of the resource and discovered that some articles are updated much more than others (which should be expected).  Also, sometimes updates are simply a word or two difference in certain sentence (if that can be called an update).  My main concern is that the new version does not have the articles signed by the previous authors (at least in the primer).  Surely Zondervan is going to give credit to the authorian team regarding their work in the full version!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS