What is your favorite Commentary?

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2014 4:36 PM

Expositors is a fine choice I do like it but fine it a bit more basic than I would like. is Word Biblical Commentary (WBC) (59 vols.) is a much better choice in my mind but it is not complete. My favourite commentary is New Interpreter's Bible (12 vols.) (samples are given for every book of the Bible here to help you decided if it might be right for you New Interpreter's Bible). The NIB is not yet under production but by summer it will likely be available.

-Dan

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2014 6:40 PM

I agree with Dan – The New Interpreter's Bible is my favorite commentary set by far. I appreciate and utilize specific volumes from a wide variety of series, but if I had to recommend one, single set, the NIB wins for me, hands down.

Posts 9542
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2014 6:48 PM

DeWayne Whitaker:
What if your favorite Commentary?

I guess I don't have a single favorite, but I'm fortunate enough to have a lot to use.

Since you are looking, perhaps you can tell us what your main use will be for a commentary, what you want to find in it, and what your budget is and I and others might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 238
Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2014 10:55 PM

My favorite is the MacArthur New Testament Commentary set currently at 30 volumes but not yet complete. Unfortunately it's no longer available from Logos due to the problem with Moody Publishers.  I have the 30 volumes in print matter and would love to have them digitally.  I also like the Expositors Commentary set mentioned above.

In Christ,

Charles

2017 27" iMac 5K, Mojave, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iOS 12.0, Catalina beta, iPadOS Beta  

Posts 36
DeWayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2014 11:11 PM

Mark Smith:
perhaps you can tell us what your main use will be for a commentary, what you want to find in it, and what your budget is and I and others might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Thanks Dan & Adam, WBC & NIB appear to be awesome. :-)
Not as familiar with the European Scholars. Well for that matter, I'm just learning the scholars...

Mark, great questions.  I'm a new Portfolio user and realizing I have a lot of Commentaries already, but some appear to not be complete sets or slightly different than what I wanted. (i.e. - It appears from what I just read online, I might have a partial set of the WBC. And I have The Expositor's Greek Testament but not the EBC.)

I'm a student @ The King's University, love Theology.  Even though the short term goal is Evangelism, I'm wanting to go deeper than the average bear.

Budget, I'm pretty fortunate here, but do want to be smart and prioritize my library growing.
I've been reviewing the short and long list of suggested books from LearnLogos.com
So its pretty tough to figure out what to buy next. LOL (Yes, I am the kid in the candy store and probably Logos biggest target.)

Translations I'm a big fan of NKJV & The Message...
NIV doesn't rank as high on my list, although it's still awesome.

Also love the classical books from 1800s, more so than a lot of the modern stuff today.

So I asked the question kind of general, to get input on what others look for and why.  You caught me. LOL

Posts 27452
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 1:55 AM

DeWayne Whitaker:

Not being trained in Theology and wanting complete sets my top two are The Bible Knowledge Commentary (1 volume) and the EBC (12 volumes). BKC is very satisfying and I go to EBC if I want more. Then I've got the New American Commentary (41 volumes) as third favourite.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 9542
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 4:59 AM

DeWayne,

Your reply helps. 

I'd add the New International OT and NT commentaries, the New International Greek Testament Commentaries, selected ICC commentaries (Romans,  Pastoral Epistles, Acts, and maybe Matthew), The NIV Application Commentary on the OT, WBC, and the Pillar Commentaries.

These are for the most part exegetical commentaries. If you want expositional commentaries that is another list. While you don't need to know Greek or Hebrew to use these commentaries, it will help.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 36
DeWayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 1:49 PM

Thanks Mark this helped me... Now to make a decision....

Posts 5743
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2014 6:36 AM

My favourite is The Great Commentary of Cornelius à Lapide.

“Whoever looks upon the Crucified One sees what love is.” — Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2014 6:42 AM

DeWayne Whitaker:

The EBC is fantastic for the price! And it covers the entire Bible! You should also check out the New American Commentary series. 

Posts 166
Anthony | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2014 8:12 AM

Not necessarily the 'favorite', but definitely used a lot!! The Bible Speak Today NT

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2014 8:38 AM

The IVP Background series are good for quick review, especially during a sermon or class.  A quick glance doesn't intrude too much.

I agree with Dan on either the WBC or Interpreters as being good stable commentaries that don't wander off too much.

If you get much into the apocrypha (OT or NT), Hermeneia or Cambridge are almost the only game in town; wouldn't buy the whole set though.

And lastly, the UBS Handbook pair are good for translational challenges, especially in the OT.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2014 9:37 AM

Josh:
The EBC is fantastic for the price! And it covers the entire Bible! You should also check out the New American Commentary series. 

Is not the New American Commentary part of the Portfolio collection he already owns???

-Dan

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2014 11:29 AM

Dan Francis:

Josh:

Is not the New American Commentary part of the Portfolio collection he already owns???

-Dan

Yes, I believe Silver and up have the NAC. He should already own this. I wanted him to check it out. I think he'd like it.

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2014 1:28 PM

Josh:
Yes, I believe Silver and up have the NAC. He should already own this. I wanted him to check it out. I think he'd like it.

Sorry... It was just in case something was not working on Logos servers I didn't want him to possibly buy it again. I own more than one product that has popped up as a purchasable item in the system (even one recently that was grey indicating ownership, but still truing to selling to me again at full price rather than 0.00).. And I do see you said check out which was probably to imply he had it already. 

-Dan

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2014 1:46 PM

And, of course, many of the recommendations here will be either more or less helpful to you depending on what point of view you're looking for in a commentary.

Posts 116
Andrew Perez | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2014 2:45 PM

God Bless everybody: 

I have several commentaries that I use on a regular bases;

The Preacher's Commentary

Matthew Henry

Warren Wiersbe "Be" Series 

Bob Utley Commentaries

Tom Constable's Expository Study Notes

and Jon Courson Essential Bible Study Library

There is also a whole set of spanish commentaries I enjoy reading from my Logos Library.

Posts 8633
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2014 5:25 PM

I'll only mention the ones you don't seem to have (based on you being a Portfolio owner).

WBC is a set that I'm really starting to appreciate a lot.  I didn't own it before and when I first did (a week ago) I was turned off by the format, but after taking the time to learn to use it, it's proved very helpful.  A bit technical, but it helps me have more OT commentaries which I'm still lacking.  If you can afford it, get it as part of the Nelson's Reference Bundle and you'll get more for your money.

NIB is a great set, but it's been lingering in pre-pub for quite some time now.

NICOT/NT is a set I'll try to buy later as finances allow.  I have four in Spanish that are part of my Spanish library and I love them but would love to have the original in English (Acts and Hebrews by F.F. Bruce, General Epistles by I. Howard Marshall and 1 Corinthians by Gordon Fee).

For New Testament I love BECNT and PNTC they are both excellent mid-technical sets, but then again...incomplete.  You may have it, it's technical, but again - incomplete NIGTC; it's awesome, though.

If you can afford it go for NICOT/NT and WBC both are highly review in bestcommentaries.com

And finally, do not over look the smaller sets that you own; e.g. Holman's NT Commentary, Bob Utley, Opening Up Bible Commentaries -- I've found some very useful nuggets of practical Biblical insight in those.  I wish we had the Holman's OT Commentary, but I guess Logos has not been able to work anything out with the publisher.

Anyway, congratulations on your new purchase, you've made a great investment.  Now go use it all to the glory of God!

DAL

Posts 704
ChelseaFC | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2014 5:36 PM

If you like short, simple, too the point, and a set that gives you great value for your money, please look no further than the Tyndale Commentaries. https://www.logos.com/product/8593/tyndale-commentaries (sorry you'll have to cut and paste-it's not linking for some reason).

Cheers,

ChelseaFC

Chelsea FC- Today is a good day!

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS