Help drive this CP down! (Galatians upgrade CC series)

Page 1 of 7 (124 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 123 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1933
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 1:18 PM

Wow.  Steep price.

Posts 8858
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 1:46 PM

I don't understand this one at all. I have successfully bid on every one of the Classic Commentary Series but this one is not at all in line with the pricing of the others. The only thing I can think is that there are enough people who are really interested in Galatians and willing to pay the extra cost to get it in publication quickly.

I agree with you. Let's get the price down!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 245
BriM | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 2:36 PM

Bruce Dunning:
I don't understand this one at all. I have successfully bid on every one of the Classic Commentary Series but this one is not at all in line with the pricing of the others. The only thing I can think is that there are enough people who are really interested in Galatians and willing to pay the extra cost to get it in publication quickly.

The first bidders will have picked this price for reasons best known to them and then almost everyone else bids that price because it is seen as the going rate. The website unhelpfully says "Your bid will not be successful" if you bid below it. I don't think the higher price gets it into production any faster because it attracts fewer bidders. Several of the other sets came on CP after Galatians but have gone into production faster because their price is better.

Most of the series have gone for 80-80% off the eventual price. This one is so far off the mark that I'm not sure it's worth it.

Posts 3166
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 2:54 PM

This group is not worth $80 if it closes at that I'll cancel

Posts 8858
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 3:00 PM

Whyndell Grizzard:

This group is not worth $80 if it closes at that I'll cancel

Your comment confuses me. Why would you need to cancel if you didn't bid $80? And if you did bid $80 what were your reasons?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1933
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 5:01 PM

Completely agree.  If you see the chart, many have made bids much lower.  But some are driving the price up by bidding high.  For me, it is not worth $80.  I wish people who reconsider and bid $45 in order to drive the price down.  Clearly from the chart, you can see that many have made bids that are smaller.  So the possibility of getting this set at a lower price is real if bids were lowered.

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 6:00 PM

Ah, the perennial curse of CP. It's a very logically and efficiently designed system, but I'd imagine less than half its users understand its bidding mechanics.

Posts 912
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 6:14 PM

Doesn't look like my bid of $10 I placed a couple of months ago is likely to succeed then Big Smile I really don't understand why people are bidding $80 for this, it is way out of keeping with all the other classic commentaries sets.

Posts 5610
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 6:16 PM

Mark:
I wish people who reconsider and bid $45 in order to drive the price down.  Clearly from the chart, you can see that many have made bids that are smaller.  So the possibility of getting this set at a lower price is real if bids were lowered.

Remember, a bid at one amount is also a bid at every amount below it.  Lowering a bid from $80 to $45 will not raise the line at $45.  Only new bidders (or those who raise their bid to $45 from a lower amount) would make the $45 mark go up.  However, if enough people lower their $80 bid, it would prevent it from crossing the line, and delay the end of the bidding process, which means more bidders might come along in the future.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 4753
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 6:37 PM

Mark:

Wow.  Steep price.

For a second I thought you said, "Sheep price." Unbelievable. Herd mentality at its stupidest. I have no respect for anyone who bid that high. What are you folks thinking????????????

What's worse is that people who have an $80 bid won't reduce it no matter what...denser than dolomite.

Posts 9914
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2014 1:17 AM

But this is CP - if there are enough people to want it that badly that they pay $80 - so be it. I bid only a quarter of that - and thus I may miss this CP. But there's no reason to delay it if enough people want it enough to pay the price (e.g. I'd like Lewis & Short to go over soonest, and I bid the maximum price on the [small] scale, but it seems many aren't willing to pay even the going rate. I wouldn't like people tell me and others to lower our bid just to make it cheaper for those who want every resource for $5).   

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 4753
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2014 2:08 PM

NB.Mick:

But this is CP - if there are enough people to want it that badly that they pay $80 - so be it. I bid only a quarter of that - and thus I may miss this CP. But there's no reason to delay it if enough people want it enough to pay the price (e.g. I'd like Lewis & Short to go over soonest, and I bid the maximum price on the [small] scale, but it seems many aren't willing to pay even the going rate. I wouldn't like people tell me and others to lower our bid just to make it cheaper for those who want every resource for $5).   

As was pointed out above, other CPs, which started out with a lower initial bid price, already have gone into production. The higher price actually DELAYS  the activation because far, far fewer people are willing to pay nose-bleed prices for these old retreads. If this were peaking at $30 or even $40, it would have gone into production already. I will just wait until this one is part of the next Classic Combo.

Posts 300
JPH | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2014 2:46 PM

Come on you $80 bidders, you're killin the rest of us. That's almost two and half cents a page! Let's shoot for $40 (a solid peak), which is closer to the penny per page standard.

Posts 575
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2014 3:09 PM

Doesn't make sense that this one's going for $80 when the Pastorals just closed at $13!

My bid is $30. Guess I'll miss out on this one.

Posts 8858
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2014 3:33 PM

Of course each person has the choice to bid whatever they want but I would love to hear from someone who bid $80 their rationale for placing their bid that high.

Posts 4753
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2014 3:52 PM

Pam Larson:

Doesn't make sense that this one's going for $80 when the Pastorals just closed at $13!

My bid is $30. Guess I'll miss out on this one.

Not to mention that two of these are in German.  Roll Eyes

Posts 8858
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 1 2014 4:04 PM

Well, it just crossed at $80. I just don't understand it.

Posts 2314
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 1 2014 4:19 PM

A similar thing happened with Philippians a couple years ago and we were able to drive the price down to $40.  If I remember correctly, some people raised their bids which lowered the price and encouraged more bidders.  It would be great if we could do this again with Galatians.  Here is the forum link from when Philippians crossed the line at $90.

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/44534.aspx?PageIndex=1

Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” (Philippians 2:9–11, Esv)

Posts 2314
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 1 2014 4:25 PM

I accidentally copied and pasted a verse in my above post - at least it's a good one.Smile

Page 1 of 7 (124 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS