Logos March Madness - How can we improve it from last year?

Page 3 of 4 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 63 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1501
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 3 2014 9:16 PM

David Paul:

Seriously???? WHY...WHY...WHY...is D.A. Carson (who has won or nearly won for the last few years) beating out Craig Blomberg??? Please, those who haven't voted yet, check out this list of resources by Blomberg and then

VOTE AGAINST CARSON!!!

YesYes The real question is: Why did Logos decide to add Carson again this year? There should be a rule where the yearly winner is ineligible to be in next years contest.

I've said this before and I will say it again - this needs to be resource vs resource AND NOT author vs author. At this point, we are voting blind. We have no idea which resources from these select authors will be chosen by Logos to be on sale.

Posts 4780
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 3 2014 11:09 PM

I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed...actually, a lot disappointed...that Douglas Moo is so far ahead of Walter Brueggemann. Yes, Moo is popular, but Brueggemann is probably one of the top 3 OT scholars alive right now. Not only that, but he actually has quite a few resources in Logos that could be picked up for a song (75% off!) if he actually won...specifically, all 24 volumes of the Walter Brueggemann Collection. That's way more resources than Moo has available in Logos, plus there are many other titles besides. At present, Moo is only ahead by 20 votes. If enough support is thrown behind Brueggemann, he could pull it out. I said elsewhere I wouldn't mind seeing Craig Blomberg win the whole thing, but I would much prefer to see Brueggemann win. Not only is he a top-notch, high quality choice, but there are dozens of his resources that we can choose from. Please consider voting for Brueggemann over Moo.

Posts 27643
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 4 2014 3:06 AM

I've got an option for Logos - put all the worst sellers in the sale ... then more of us won't already have them in our libraries and we'll all have a more equal opportunity for savings.Geeked

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 4 2014 3:19 AM

David Paul:

I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed...actually, a lot disappointed...that Douglas Moo is so far ahead of Walter Brueggemann. Yes, Moo is popular, but Brueggemann is probably one of the top 3 OT scholars alive right now. Not only that, but he actually has quite a few resources in Logos that could be picked up for a song (75% off!) if he actually won...specifically, all 24 volumes of the Walter Brueggemann Collection. That's way more resources than Moo has available in Logos, plus there are many other titles besides. At present, Moo is only ahead by 20 votes. If enough support is thrown behind Brueggemann, he could pull it out. I said elsewhere I wouldn't mind seeing Craig Blomberg win the whole thing, but I would much prefer to see Brueggemann win. Not only is he a top-notch, high quality choice, but there are dozens of his resources that we can choose from. Please consider voting for Brueggemann over Moo.

I agree. I like Moo, but I'd love to read more Brueggemann. I've already voted for him, so can't help to narrow the gap! I do feel sorry for the non-evangelicals in the customer base, as there is usually a strong bias in the outcome of these events towards conservative evangelical scholars, which is great for us, but I am not sure it's going to work longer-term as Logos "expands the tent". In fact, there is a strong conservative-evangelical bias in those in the first round, so there's little doubt that it will be conservative evangelical scholars with the biggest discounts at the end!  

Having said that, I do normally pick up something in the March Madness sale that I've been wanting to get so I'm not complaining. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 4780
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 4 2014 6:00 PM

I am officially BORED TO TEARS with March Madness. I thought that this year there was sure to be a change in the guard. There won't be.

The Official Winners List by Division:

DIVISION 1 -- Carson defeats MacArthur

DIVISION 2 -- Lloyd-Jones defeats Calvin

DIVISION 3 -- Wright defeats Piper

DIVISION 4 -- Spurgeon defeats Tozer

SEMI-FINALS -- Carson defeats Lloyd-Jones & Wright defeats Spurgeon

FINALS -- DOES IT REALLY STINKIN' MATTER???????

Please, don't even bother to wake me when it's over. I might be dreaming of a contest that has at least a modicum of interest to it. This definitely isn't it.

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 4 2014 6:15 PM

David Paul:

Quoted for truth. Please for the love of all broke Seminarians, Vote for Walter Brueggemann!!!

Posts 1844
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 5 2014 4:39 AM

Mitchell:

Please for the love of all broke Seminarians, Vote for Walter Brueggemann!!!

Yes

Posts 1844
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 7:53 PM

Previous winner should have been excluded from the following year competition (at least 1 year) ..

Carson won last year.. therefore, he shouldn't compete. case closed.

Therefore customers gets more variety discounts.

Posts 1501
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 8:01 PM

mike:

Previous winner should have been excluded from the following year competition (at least 1 year) ..

Yes. I've been saying this for a while now. Or at least place last years finalists in the same division - so only one can make it back into the Final Four.

Posts 9081
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 4:29 AM

Josh:

mike:

Yes. I've been saying this for a while now. Or at least place last years finalists in the same division - so only one can make it back into the Final Four.

What we need to keep in mind is that there are new people who participate each year - perhaps many more than we think. In that case Carson might be their choice. Or, perhaps someone didn't have funds last year to purchase his works but want him to win this year because they have a few more dollars to spend. I would prefer that Carson didn't win too but we need to remind ourselves that it is ultimately not about any of us individually.

Josh, perhaps your idea of placing winners in the same division is a good compromise. It makes sense to me.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1844
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 5:42 AM

Bruce, if you're rooting for "new" people who just joined in this year & didn't get the Carson's deals...

Think about ME & others, who missed the Logos 4 completely..and had to buy every single books that were in Logos 4 at almost full price.

I wish Logos would offer Logos 4 bundle again for those who didn't "join in" early enough..but the fact remain the same..

(same thing goes with previous-es Christmas & BlackFriday deals that I missed.. all of them were BETTER)

Posts 1442
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 7:37 AM

David Paul:

I am officially BORED TO TEARS with March Madness. I thought that this year there was sure to be a change in the guard. There won't be.

The Official Winners List by Division:

DIVISION 1 -- Carson defeats MacArthur

DIVISION 2 -- Lloyd-Jones defeats Calvin

DIVISION 3 -- Wright defeats Piper

DIVISION 4 -- Spurgeon defeats Tozer

SEMI-FINALS -- Carson defeats Lloyd-Jones & Wright defeats Spurgeon

FINALS -- DOES IT REALLY STINKIN' MATTER???????

Please, don't even bother to wake me when it's over. I might be dreaming of a contest that has at least a modicum of interest to it. This definitely isn't it.

yes, sadly I can see that it would happen this way. I just don't understand why Logos places same people every single year?

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 1442
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 7:41 AM

Crying

Welcome to March Sadness 

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 1138
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 8:04 AM

Yeah, some of these pairings are... unfortunate. Some really good but less favoured authors for whom deep discounts would be great simply aren't going to make it.

I like the idea someone posted in another thread--make all the previous winners face off one another in a separate division.

Posts 1844
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 7:32 PM

Would Moo's Mobile Ed get discounted too when he win/lose?

Can Logos reply?

Posts 1844
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 11 2014 1:08 AM

Mike Pettit:

I cannot afford anything because I have just found that the 50% off bundle discounts for Jewish and Baptist study bundles in the current monthly sale stack with the 50% off portfolio discount so I now have Midrash's and free will Baptist heterodoxy coming out of my ears and no cash.

I'm curious how did you find out that those 2 bundles are on sale this month?

was it newsletter/email?

Posts 701
ChelseaFC | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 11 2014 3:20 AM

mike:

Mike Pettit:

I cannot afford anything because I have just found that the 50% off bundle discounts for Jewish and Baptist study bundles in the current monthly sale stack with the 50% off portfolio discount so I now have Midrash's and free will Baptist heterodoxy coming out of my ears and no cash.

I'm curious how did you find out that those 2 bundles are on sale this month?

was it newsletter/email?

Off Topic:

Hey Mike,

It's in the normal monthly sales. You can access it from the homepage under 'On sale now'. https://www.logos.com/products/search?Specials=On+Sale&Status=Live&unlocked=no&start=120&sort=bestselling&pageSize=60  Maybe Mike can give you further details as to what he did. I hope that helps.

Cheers,
 ChelseaFC

Chelsea FC- Today is a good day!

Posts 2358
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 13 2014 1:26 PM

Here's an idea! Teams are ordinarily composed of members. What I would like to see is publishing houses go head to head. Zondervan v Baker, T&T v Sheffield, IVP v Lexham, etc.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Page 3 of 4 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS