Literaturwünsche

Page 24 of 24 (462 items) « First ... < Previous 20 21 22 23 24
This post has 461 Replies | 34 Followers

Posts 12104
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 12:38 PM

Larry Craig:
I see that that Wuppertaler Studienbibel is available.  Is it really that good?  I tried to find more information about it.

For some time in the last century, it must have been the only wide-spread evangelical commentary in German language. "Everybody" in the evangelical circles used it (seminaries, pastors, small-group leaders in the churches). It came in bound volumes - later in paperbacks in a two foot wide carton box (probably for the NT part). People over fifty still bring individual volumes to small groups when deep bible study is on the agenda.

The series editor, Fritz Rienecker, writes in his preface that the series has a twofold aim: it wants to explain the meaning (difficult words, theological issues, ANE customs) and it wants to "build up" the reader in a spiritual sense. The editor explains that the series presupposes a high view of scripture (even though he talks a lot about its servant persona) and that it generally follows the exegetical work of Friedrich Godet, Adolf Schlatter and Theodor Zahn. I'd compare it to Stott's "The Bible Speaks Today" series.     

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1645
LogosEmployee
Ben Misja (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 2:30 PM

That's a great summary, Mick. As far as I understand, this may be the bestselling German commentary set of the last 50 years. It's considered a real classic, and its longevity is unusual - some volumes are well over 30 years old and still used a lot. The set is the most requested German resource we've ever produced, and I expect it will be the best-funded German pre-pub so far. 

Page 24 of 24 (462 items) « First ... < Previous 20 21 22 23 24 | RSS