New proclaim - import from pptx converting to images from pptx file on share drive leads to failure to display when not on network

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 20
David Andrew Campbell | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 2 2014 12:30 AM

Hi,

Today I was in the situation in the middle of the service at church where I discovered the pastoral projector slides imported from a powerpoint file from a share drive in my home office wouldn't come up, even though I selected the option to convert to images.

All of the slides shows a red triangle with an exclamation mark on them. 

Gladly we had it on an email and I was able to download it and save it and re-import it from a local file, but it didn't look good during the service.

I've since tested the behaviour, and if I import from a pptx on a share drive, then disconnect from the network where that file is found, and restart Proclaim, I can confirm that the content doesn't show in Proclaim and I get the same behaviour.

Is that a bug or expected behaviour?  Surely with convert for images ticked, it would not be expected behaviour?  Obviously it still needs to reference the pptx file from its original imported location to work!

Posts 3501
LogosEmployee
Scott Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 2 2014 1:03 AM

David Andrew Campbell:
Is that a bug or expected behaviour?  Surely with convert for images ticked, it would not be expected behaviour?  Obviously it still needs to reference the pptx file from its original imported location to work!

This is not expected behavior. If you could reproduce this in a test presentation, then tell me the name I can take a look at the data.

Posts 20
David Andrew Campbell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 2 2014 2:11 AM

Andrew, the problem only seems to be visible on the computer from which the pptx was uploaded.  Other computers who get the pptx by synchronisation don't have any problem.

I am easily able to reproduce this by:

1.  Importing a powerpoint from an existing file on a share drive (not a local drive like C:) when connected to the network

2.  Close Proclaim

3.  Unplug cable or disconnect from wireless network

4.  Open Proclaim

5.  Notice that all the slide content is missing and has red triangles with exclamation marks in it

Posts 370
Josh Edwards | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 2 2014 4:11 AM

You know, something similar happened to us a couple of weeks ago.  We were in the middle of an ice storm and had no internet at church.  Our pastor's wife who does the Children's Sunday School with Proclaim uploaded all her stuff at home and synced it to the cloud like normal thinking that when she brought her computer to church with no internet that all would be fine (as did I because I told her to do that).  Unfortunately, when she brought her computer to church, she also ran into the red triangles and nothing would show (uploaded files).  She ended up having to go back and add all her videos and files as "local to this computer" before they would work.  For some reason, it didn't read the local cache of the files.  Granted, this was before the final release of the newest version and she was running the beta. Just thought I'd add my experiences to this.

Posts 20
David Andrew Campbell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 3 2014 3:23 AM

I suspect that despite what I've said, the issue here is not related to the network shares, rather it is related to network connectivity.  When off the network, the powerpoint won't show.

Posts 1232
Spencer McKimson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 3 2014 1:56 PM

Followed up offline.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS