Huge encyclopaedia: The Dictionary of Christianity and the Bible

Page 8 of 8 (149 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8
This post has 148 Replies | 18 Followers

Posts 146
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2021 7:26 AM

I've tried 4 times now to build the book and each time I've waited overnight, but nothing happens.  The PB just says "Converting", and the horizontal bar never moves.  It always starts out at about 1/5 complete, but then the bar never changes.  

Any ideas?

Bob

Posts 103
John W | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2021 8:35 AM

Same with me. 

Posts 2842
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2021 1:00 PM

Bob:

I've tried 4 times now to build the book and each time I've waited overnight, but nothing happens.  The PB just says "Converting", and the horizontal bar never moves.  It always starts out at about 1/5 complete, but then the bar never changes.  

Any ideas?

And to John W

If on a PC check Power Settings.  When pugged in PC goes to sleep?  select NEVER.  Not sure that is the fix but worth a try to check.

Mine took 5 and a half hours.   

Posts 103
John W | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2021 5:43 AM

That worked! Thanks.

Posts 10836
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2021 12:18 PM

David Ames:
If on a PC check Power Settings.  When pugged in PC goes to sleep?  select NEVER.

Mac OS equivalent is found in System Preferences under Energy Saver (the light bulb). I have used the settings in this screenshot for more than a dozen years and have not worn out a Mac yet. Since Hard Drives do wear out, I allow them to take a nap, The "Wake for network access" is likely unnecessary since the computer has insomnia.

Posts 19399
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2021 2:08 PM

Jack Caviness:
Since Hard Drives do wear out, I allow them to take a nap

Spinning Hard Drives have mechanical parts (and some very strong magnets inside the drive case). Caveat: start/stop of spinning hard drive also has wear factor.

Solid State Disks (SSD) are completely electronic (so personally have "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" unchecked).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 146
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2021 2:42 PM

David Ames:

Bob:

Any ideas?

And to John W

If on a PC check Power Settings.  When pugged in PC goes to sleep?  select NEVER.  Not sure that is the fix but worth a try to check.

Well I have made the setting switch.  I am now at over 7 hours for compiling.  I do have an SSD, so didn't expect this much time.  The horizontal bar shows over 50% done now.  So we will see what happens.  The original email said something like 30 -90 minutes.  I am way longer than that, even with SSD and a fast Windows laptop.

Bob

Posts 1053
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2021 3:06 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Caveat: start/stop of spinning hard drive also has wear factor.

This is not entirely wrong but is misleading. Only with some HDDs in some condition will something similar to this statement be true. (e.g. WD green head parking. Also, start/stop means a completely different thing, and there's 2 different states too. In that case yes, start/stop is wearing, but it won't be triggered when you are actively compiling things for hours.

HDDs write/read has "no wear" (physically everything has wear, just that the wear tolerance here is negligible), and all SSDs writes has wears and can only be done a finite amount of times.

Compiling this for hours or even for days for low power machine is normal. It is a very big PBB, practically the biggest available. And Logos' compiler is very inefficient.

Posts 146
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2021 4:08 PM

Bob:

David Ames:

Bob:

Any ideas?

And to John W

Well I have made the setting switch.  I am now at over 7 hours for compiling.  I do have an SSD, so didn't expect this much time.  The horizontal bar shows over 50% done now.  So we will see what happens.  The original email said something like 30 -90 minutes.  I am way longer than that, even with SSD and a fast Windows laptop.

Bob

Well it finally completed in around 9-10 hours, with an SSD.  And there are 63 errors and 10,258 warnings.

Here are a few of the warnings:

[Warning] Document contains Hebrew characters (“א”) that have not been tagged with a language code; they may not display in the proper order.
[Warning] Document contains Hebrew characters (“סב”) that have not been tagged with a language code; they may not display in the proper order.
[Warning] Document contains Hebrew characters (“למה”) that have not been tagged with a language code; they may not display in the proper order.
[Warning] Document contains Hebrew characters (“שש”) that have not been tagged with a language code; they may not display in the proper order.
[Warning] Document contains Hebrew characters (“אחוזי”) that have not been tagged with a language code; they may not display in the proper order.
[Warning] Document contains Hebrew characters (“שירי משכיל”) that have not been tagged with a language code; they may not display in the proper order.

And some of the errors:

[Error] Document contains an unsupported VML image which will not appear in the final document. To use this embedded image, open the document in Word, select “Save As...”, and deselect the “Maintain compatibility with previous versions of Word” option. Then rebuild the book.
[Error] Document contains an unsupported VML image which will not appear in the final document. To use this embedded image, open the document in Word, select “Save As...”, and deselect the “Maintain compatibility with previous versions of Word” option. Then rebuild the book.

[Error] Font 'Courier New' is not a valid font for use in resources.
[Error] Font 'Serto Urhoy' is not a valid font for use in resources.
[Error] Font 'Symbol' is not a valid font for use in resources.
[Error] Font 'Nyala' is not a valid font for use in resources.
[Error] Font 'Myanmar Text' is not a valid font for use in resources.
[Error] Font 'Wingdings' is not a valid font for use in resources.
[Error] Font 'Consolas' is not a valid font for use in resources.
[Error] Font 'Tahoma' is not a valid font for use in resources.
[Error] Font 'Mangal' is specified but not installed or embedded. Is this a valid font name?

Bob

Page 8 of 8 (149 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 | RSS