VMware swap to disk

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 255
Pat Flanakin | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 29 2009 8:32 AM

I read on a blog that someone got better L4 performance by setting their VMware NOT to swap to disk.  I am not sure if this has something to do with the unity setting, but I was curious if anyone here can shed some light on it.  I have VMware 3 trial right now running XP SP3 on MBPro 8GB RAM.

Thanks.

Posts 29
Matthew Bookspan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2009 8:54 AM

Which blog? Do you recall the address?

Posts 255
Pat Flanakin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2009 9:10 AM

Actually, I went ahead and looked up the idea on VMware's website support and found the following which in Logos 4 case, I would use setting one to prevent swapping:

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Using Additional Memory

By default, VMware Workstation limits the number of virtual machines that can run at once based on the amount of memory specified in the application settings. This prevents virtual machines from causing each other to perform poorly.

To allow more or larger virtual machines to run, you can adjust a third setting — the amount of virtual machine memory that the host operating system may swap to disk. To change this setting, go to Edit > Preferences > Memory and change the additional memory setting. Select one of the following radio buttons:

·  Fit all virtual machine memory into reserved host RAM — Strictly apply the reserved memory limit set in the top of the panel. This setting imposes the tightest restrictions on the number and memory size of virtual machines that may run at a given time. Because the virtual machines are running entirely in RAM, they have the best possible performance.

·  Allow some virtual machine memory to be swapped — Allow the host operating system to swap a moderate amount of virtual machine memory to disk if necessary. This setting allows you to increase the number or memory size of virtual machines that can run on the host computer at a given time. It may also result in reduced performance if virtual machine memory must be shifted between RAM and disk.

·  Allow most virtual machine memory to be swapped — Allow the host operating system to swap as much virtual machine memory to disk as it wants. This setting allows you to run even more virtual machines with even more memory than the intermediate setting does. In this case, too, performance may be lower if virtual machine memory must be shifted between RAM and disk.

Posts 29
Matthew Bookspan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2009 9:14 AM

Interesting. I am unaware that these were available options on Fusion. I'll go check this out. Thank you very much.

Matthew

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS