please provide HCSB tagging, reverse interlinear, etc

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 77
Paul | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 11 2014 12:35 AM

I really would like to be able to use the HCSB in the same way that I use the NASB (RI, right-click menu on the text, lemma / morph searches, sympathetic highlighting, etc) .  

Accordance already has the HCSB tagged and keyed to the Greek, so I find myself using their software more and more as I've slowly switched from NASB to HCSB.

Could someone from logos please inform us what the plans are for HCSB?  

TIA, Brian

Warm regards,

Brian

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 11 2014 7:16 AM

Have you considered the ESV?

I migrated from NASB to ESV and am happy to have done so.

My seminary currently uses ESV primarily as well - one of the six SBC Seminaries as it happens.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 300
JPH | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 11 2014 7:35 AM

I've also noticed that the HCSB pastes poorly with lots of superscripted letters and double spaces between words. For example, eph 1:20-23:

He demonstrated this power in the Messiah by raising Him from the dead and seating Him at His right hand  in the heavens — 21 far above every ruler and authority, power and dominion, and every title given,  n not only in this age but also in the one to come.  22 And He put everything under His feet  q and appointed Him as head  over everything for the church, 23 which is His body,  the fullness  of the One who fills all things  in every way.

v.23 alone has three double spaces that are just a pain to go through and edit out Sad

Posts 77
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 11 2014 8:08 AM

Thanks for the suggestion.  I WANT to love the ESV because it's so popular, our church uses it, and I have a beautiful R.L. Allan ESV with verse-by-verse format and wide margins, which I just love to hold because of the highland goatskin!  

I've spent about 9 months comparing the NASB to the ESV and my personal findings reveal to me that the ESV is better than the NASB in many places, though when it fails it seems to fail in a big way. Plus, it almost seems that the translators sometimes go out of their way to be discordant (see katargeo in Romans).

I find the HCSB to be on par with the ESV, though, and for me the choice ultimately is about archaic English and odd word order.  I want to recite the word in a dialect of English that is easily understood for others, saved or unsaved.  Plus, the modern English of the HCSB simply opens up the text to me when I read it.... I don't tend to "zone out" as much.

Warm regards,

Brian

Posts 1072
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 11 2014 8:18 AM

My first print Bible was KJV, but the only print Bibles I took to the field are my Thompson chain-reference and the HCSB Apologetics study Bible which I really love using.

But my main Bibles in Logos are NKJV, LEB which I like very much.

I would also like to have a reverse interlinear for HCSB.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 77
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 8:12 AM

So should I post somewhere else to get input from Logos staff?

This is important.  

Btw, I met a pastor yesterday whom I had never met before.  Logos came up in the conversation and the first thing he said was, "They really cater to the ESV".  I was surprised because I had thought the same, but then he went on to talk about how much he liked the HCSB... 

So, Logos, what say ye? :)

Warm regards,

Brian

Posts 5610
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 8:38 AM

Brian:

So should I post somewhere else to get input from Logos staff?

This is important.  

Btw, I met a pastor yesterday whom I had never met before.  Logos came up in the conversation and the first thing he said was, "They really cater to the ESV".  I was surprised because I had thought the same, but then he went on to talk about how much he liked the HCSB... 

So, Logos, what say ye? :)

I think the ESV folks probably had the most agreeable licensing terms at the start, but Logos now has full reverse interlinears for many Bibles (NRSV, KJV, NASB95, NIV2011, La Biblia de las Américas, etc).  It's not like them to not want to produce a product people want. 

There's been speculation that Lifeway is holding back because they want to reserve those features to help promote their own WordSearch Bible software (which does include an HCSB reverse interlinear).

I personally suspect that is the case (especially considering how WordSearch-related offerings have expanded to the web and mobile devices, in direct competition with Logos).  If it is the reason, we may not hear from Logos on it, because they don't talk about licensing deals to keep from offending their partners and to leave doors open for future arrangements.

FWIW, I would also like an fully tagged HCSB (even though I mainly use the ESV).  I think it's a good translation.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 1072
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 9:53 AM

Here it is in User Voice..  http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-5/suggestions/3633167-create-a-holman-christand-standard-bible-reverse-i

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 77
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 11:53 AM

That makes sense, Todd, but I wonder if it's a matter of "yes / no" or "$$$$".  

Seems weird that Accordance (a smaller company) already has the HCSB tagged, with Reverse Interlinear too.

If Logos needs a negotiator, I'm available. Wink

Warm regards,

Brian

Posts 5610
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 12:10 PM

Brian:
Seems weird that Accordance (a smaller company) already has the HCSB tagged, with Reverse Interlinear too.

I agree, though it's possible Accordance got the license before WordSearch introduced their Mac software.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 4874
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 12:13 PM

Brian:

That makes sense, Todd, but I wonder if it's a matter of "yes / no" or "$$$$".  

If Logos needs a negotiator, I'm available. Wink

being a smaller company and MAC only at the time they did setup license it may mean LifeWay did not see Accordance as a direct threat to their Wordsearch PC based platform.  Of course Accordance is now PC as well as MAC offering. Would like to see RI HSCB in Logos also.

Posts 885
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 12:15 PM

I'm in for 3 votes.  I very much like the HCSB, but most frequently use the ESV because of the lack of interlinear and full Logos tagging in the HCSB.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 12:22 PM

It's a lot of work to do an RI, they have a limited number of people with the skill to do one, and for the moment I believe those people already have more to do than they can handle. I would expect them to get around to it eventually, if there are no licensing issues, but I wouldn't expect it to happen very soon.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 885
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 12:27 PM

fgh:
....but I wouldn't expect it to happen very soon.

It's unlikely that they'll get to is at all unless Logos users voice (by voting for it at the link above) their need for it.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 77
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 12:52 PM

I'm not sure how many users know about user voice!  I wasn't aware of it until today.

For my part, I've voted, and now that I've made my (well-researched) personal decision to move to the HCSB as my main "walkin and talkin" bible, I'll be spending more time studying with Accordance.

I realize everybody's hot-to-trot for the ESV, so no blaming... don't understand it, but no blaming... 

Warm regards,

Brian

Posts 1072
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 13 2014 10:30 PM

We could use more votes on this, it is at 43 now

Posts 6
Steven Simpson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 25 2014 2:02 PM

I totally agree with you Brian.  

Posts 2912
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 25 2014 2:31 PM

I love the HCSB and would absolutely love Reverse Interlinear functionality on it. 

The only reason HCSB isn't toward the top of my frequently-consulted translation list is because it doesn't have a reverse interlinear. 

Thank you for considering this.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 498
Bob Deacon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 21 2014 4:08 AM

The reason why Accordance has it may be due to the fact that it was Accordance software that was used in the translation process of the HCSB (this is noted in the intro of the HCSB). The HCSB was the first translation to be done entirely with the computer and Accordance software if I remember properly.

With that being said, I have petitioned many times in the past for the HCSB reverse interlinear. I have been using the HCSB for quite some time and prefer it for many reasons. I wish Logos would give this some serious consideration and some consumer feedback on its status.

Bob

Bob Deacon

Dell Inspiron, Windows 10 Latest Update

MacBook Air (2017) Mojave

Ipad Air 2 (ios 8.2.1)

Motorola G6 Play (android 8.3.1)

Posts 1072
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 21 2014 4:58 AM

The user voice has 70 votes and could use many more guys, vote if you have not.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS