I know this a question on Theology But.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1076
Lee | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 13 2014 9:09 AM

I was asked today If Jesus became sin for the unbeliever did he have to be forgiven to enter Heaven?

What is the best way to search Logos to answer this?

How would you go about finding an answer to this?

The person asking this was from the Islamic faith.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 13 2014 9:26 AM

Lee Garrison:
I would start with a library search like the following:

I noticed several systematic theologies came up in the search listings. That might be a good place to start. 

Posts 8941
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 13 2014 9:36 AM

Lee Garrison:

This thread has the potential to become a theological discussion but is fine if it is kept to how to research an answer.

Certainly a full study of 2 Corinthians 5:21 is in order. In addition another way to approach the topic is with this search below -

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 13 2014 9:39 AM

Lee Garrison:
I was asked today If Jesus became sin for the unbeliever did he have to be forgiven to enter Heaven?

A question of this depth requires some study and induction.

That being said, this type of methodical hermeneutics takes a bit of education that isn't readily available in a searchable manner.

A good primer, inclusive of this particular section of the Bible is presented here:

How Was Jesus “Made” Sin?

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 8
John Shelton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 13 2014 9:51 AM

Great question Mr. Garrison.

If I had had Logos the first time I needed to answer that one, I believe I would have given a much more cogent response.

As the others have mentioned, Bible study itself is the must to knowing the answer. Be certain to read through Paul's doctrine of Justification found in the first 3 chapters of the book of Romans and various other places.

More directly, you can do a search in your library to see if you have any bible dictionaries. Search for terms such as 'Atonement' 'Propitiation' 'Justification' 'Ransom' 'Substitution'.

If you have any commentaries in your library on the book of 2 Corinthians, go to the section that covers chapter 5:21.

If you have access to the works of John MacArthur in your library, his expositional commentary is phrased in a very helpful way to help you deal with the mystery of this passage. Also, Logos offers Matthew Henry's commentary on the whole bible, which will serve you well for concise answers to such questions at each respective passage.

If you wish to discuss the answer to your friend's question, feel free to pose it in the theology section. I'd love to engage with you there.

Posts 1076
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 13 2014 9:51 AM

Hello

I thank everyone for the fast response. Paul your link to How Was Jesus "made sin? is mostly what I was looking for.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 1076
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 13 2014 10:00 AM

Thanks John

Now I just have a little review to do. 

Posts 1076
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 13 2014 10:06 AM

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 13 2014 2:57 PM

I think this is the most kindhearted worthy post I have ever read in here (or at least among them).

Well done good and faithful servant...way to build up another....and I am being very serious (for a change).

I also appreciate how everyone is showing how it can be done in Logos....this is among my favorite posts ever now.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS