Organize

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 22
Tom Gray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2009 3:57 PM

Phelix,

I'd like to someday get to Seminary, but I'm not 40 yet. (lol, just kidding =-)) But on the subject of balancing a life and trying to do it all...don't.

I would recommend a Franklin Planner to help keep your life on task...I finally (after 7 years) went to a week on 2 pages because I found if I tried to put too much stuff in my life, other areas of my life were negatively affected. Don't try to do it all, only God can do that. Part of what the Franklin-Covey planner systems helps you discover for yourself is what your true priorities are and then you decide on how to act on them.

Always schedule those events you HAVE to attend - and plan for more time than you think necessary. (Things always happen to take up more time than you originally expected) Next plan those things in your life that just take a lot of time (Important not urgent - unless you blew it and made it both important and urgent) and give a little cushion where possible between other events to give yourself time to pray and breathe. Keep lists of things that you SHOULD get done and WANT to do. Sprinkle in some of these events whenever possible to give yourself a break.

I echo the sentiments of others here on using the resources in Platinum. I could only afford the Leadership version, but have used e-Sword in the past and quickly got off track and overwhelmed by downloading and 'reading' all that stuff. Look at a few of the resources, decide which ones are of the greatest benefit and save them as favorites and use them throughout the year. When time avails itself look at some of the other resources and see if they should be added or ignored. Ask some of the more experienced people here to suggest some of the better resources here and WHY they use them. For example I was raised on the NKJV and have heard the NASB is an excellent bible...so why do people in Logos seem to be so enamoured with the ESV?

Keep your life open to God's little re-directions, pauses and stops. May God richly bless you in your efforts to know and love Him more.

Tom

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2009 4:26 PM

Bill Stonebraker:

Hi Rosie,

So how has God led you into giving back the transformation He's given you?

Short answer: Countless ways, but what I love most is the one-on-one mentoring relationships with people. I love to see God at work in transforming other people and what a privilege it is to come alongside and act as a kind of doula for that transformation. Nothing formal, just spiritual friendship.

The long answer (describing more of what I "do" in my life of giving back) is more than I care to share on this forum. I'd love to tell you more if you want to hear it, but offline, if you give me your email address or drop me a note at mine (which you can find on my website on the contact page; that website represents only a tiny fraction of what I "do").

Posts 3751
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2009 6:51 PM

Rosie Perera:
drop me a note at mine

Done.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 10851
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2009 7:09 PM

Rosie Perera:
what I love most is the one-on-one mentoring relationships with people. I love to see God at work in transforming other people and what a privilege it is to come alongside and act as a kind of doula for that transformation. Nothing formal, just spiritual friendship.

Rosie, that is beautiful! Yes That should be the goal of every Christian.

I did have to look up one word in the dictionary.

Posts 456
Roger Feenstra | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 7:47 AM

PhelixLockhart:
Simply I need to get organize so I can be balance to do it all.

Here are a few thoughts (These things may or may not apply, but here goes)

1.  Remember that you are just a man, and that you may not be able to "do it all."

2.  When driving in your car--turn off the radio and use the time as your quiet time.  There is so much noise throughout the day (especially if you have kids), you need that driving time, no matter how short, to decompress, pray, think, etc.

3.  Don't surf the Internet.  When you use the Internet, go to it with a specific subject or task to investigate--don't go down rabbit trails (they are huge time wasters).

4.  Stop reading and watching the news.  I guarantee that you will know everything that is going on in the world because people you work with, go to school with, and interact with will tell you.  

5.  Stop watching television.  Most of it is a waste of time and it doesn't help you "Set your mind on the things above."

6.  Logos 4 will not help you if you don't first make adjustments in your own thought life and schedule.  Logos 4 will certainly aid you, but it could actually allow you to be more disorganized--the danger is you will find yourself  "surfing" L4 and not digging in to the subject at hand that you are studying.

There are so many other things that can be helpful, like:  Cleaning out your car, organizing your paperwork (like bills, checkbook etc.), spending time in prayer...when things like these are out of whack it can cause you to feel overwhelmed and unorganized.  

Anyway, those are some random thoughts off the top of my head.  I struggled with the same thing for many years when I was younger, but have been able to get a handle on my organization by implementing some of the things above...AND when my kids grew up, it got a lot easier Yes   Hang in there!

Roger

Elder/Pastor, Hope Now Bible Church, Fresno CA

Posts 456
Roger Feenstra | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 7:51 AM

Rosie Perera:
Spirituality and Academics for Dummies

This is good!

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 6:47 PM

Roger Feenstra:

Here are a few thoughts ...

There are so many other things that can be helpful, like:  Cleaning out your car, organizing your paperwork (like bills, checkbook etc.), spending time in prayer...when things like these are out of whack it can cause you to feel overwhelmed and unorganized.  

Those are all great ideas, but this one in particular I'd like to echo emphatically. A friend who was working on her PhD first told me about this. When your physical space is disorderly it really can affect your mental organization and efficiency. My friend used to have stop what she was doing to clear off her desk before she could proceed with working on her dissertation. I learned that from her and it really helps! Even though it may take a bit of extra time up front, it will pay you back in spades: Clear your clutter!

Posts 456
Roger Feenstra | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 7:09 PM

Rosie Perera:
Clear your clutter!

Now that's putting it succinctly.  I like it.

Roger

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 8:10 PM

Roger Feenstra:

Rosie Perera:
Clear your clutter!

Now that's putting it succinctly.  I like it.

I read a book once called Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui. I wouldn't recommend the philosophy behind it (a bunch of poppycock in my opinion) but the advice on how to clear it and the warnings about some of the negative effects of not clearing it was worth skipping over the nonsense. All that stuff really does weigh on you emotionally and affect your ability to think clearly and get on with your life -- especially if you know it contains decisions that need to be made, unfinished business with others that affect your relationships with them, bad memories, guilt, etc. It really is freeing to get rid of stuff! If only the book could have been written from a Christian perspective (I have yet to see a clear-your-clutter type book for Christians). But I don't necessarily dismiss out of hand all books just because they start from an Eastern or other perspective. The Eastern philosophers do have some wisdom for us to listen to occasionally ;-). This one caught my eye for some reason. Lots of sample pages of it available on Amazon.com so you can get the gist of it without buying it.

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS