All Windows 8 users...

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 35 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1723
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 25 2014 9:15 PM

Just a reminder... if you're running Windows 8, you can have the Logos Verse of the Day automatically set as your lock screen each day.

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/verse-of-the-day/cb3a23bd-c12a-4e15-b7fa-322b2e5b1236

You can also use the "Share" charm (on the right-side of the screen when you mouse over there, or swipe in from the side on a Windows tablet) to share the art from within the app. And in the app you can browse back to previous days' art.

-- Bob

P.S. If you use this app and like it, we'd appreciate your rating it in the app store!

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 7:35 AM

Great! I didn't know about this app (or at least I didn't know about all it's features).

By the way, if anyone else has the issue of the AppStore not working in Windows 8.1, this fixed it for me.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 232
Todd Frusti | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 2:33 PM

Bob Pritchett:
You can also use the "Share" charm (on the right-side of the screen when you mouse over there, or swipe in from the side on a Windows tablet) to share the art from within the app. And in the app you can browse back to previous days' art.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've been using the Verse of the Day for my lock screen for some time.  Never made the connection with the share charm though. 

Posts 4180
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 8:11 AM

Is it supposed to require me to change the lock screen to the new picture every day? or is there a setting to automate this that I've missed somewhere?

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 11:09 AM

Bob Pritchett:

Just a reminder... if you're running Windows 8, you can have the Logos Verse of the Day automatically set as your lock screen each day.

Downloaded & installed the app. Found where & added it to the list of apps running in the background at lock screen.

But still no display... not sure what to do next.

Blessings!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
iPad 9th Gen iOS 15.6, 256GB

Posts 4180
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 11:38 AM

BillS - that goes to the heart of my question.

My process currently is to bring up the image of the day app (under lifestyle in "start" menu.
Then once I see the image of the day, right click, and then click "set" the image as the lock screen.

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 12:27 PM

abondservant:

Is it supposed to require me to change the lock screen to the new picture every day? or is there a setting to automate this that I've missed somewhere?

Verse of Day automatically changes every time you access the lock screen to whatever the verse of that day is. Logos assigns images to each day of the year. It will be the same for every user/computer.

Posts 4180
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 12:38 PM

Windows 8.1 here, but my lock screen only changes manually.

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 2:14 PM

Windows 8.1 here, & I haven't found anything yet that'll change the lock screen automatically.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb

Posts 9205
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 29 2014 10:54 AM

BillS:

Windows 8.1 here, & I haven't found anything yet that'll change the lock screen automatically.

Run Verse of the Day. Swipe in from the right, choose Settings. Tap Permissions. Make sure that "Lock screen" is set to on. (The app prompts you to enable this the first time you run, if you don't allow it, it won't prompt you again.)

You may also need to open "PC Settings" (from the Start Screen), tap "PC and devices", and ensure that the icon for Verse of the Day is shown under "Lock screen apps". (If not, tap a + sign and add it.)

Posts 4180
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 29 2014 11:00 AM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

BillS:

Run Verse of the Day. Swipe in from the right, choose Settings. Tap Permissions. Make sure that "Lock screen" is set to on. (The app prompts you to enable this the first time you run, if you don't allow it, it won't prompt you again.)

You may also need to open "PC Settings" (from the Start Screen), tap "PC and devices", and ensure that the icon for Verse of the Day is shown under "Lock screen apps". (If not, tap a + sign and add it.)

How would one do this with a mouse?

Permissions are set properly, and its set as an app to display on the lock screen, yet I still have to manually change the image every day. Any fix for this?

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 29 2014 12:18 PM

Hi Bradley,

I'm on a Win 8.1 laptop WITHOUT touch (other than the touchpad), so either I don't know how to do a swipe on the touchpad, or it doesn't work without a touchscreen, or it's useless without a touchscreen since the pad is so small (I spend as much as 1/64 of my time in Win 8 recovering from unintended gestures).

The lock screen is enabled & comes up every time I put the laptop to sleep. Unlike abondservant, I wasn't able to figure out how to change the default lock screen to display verse of the day even once... never mind change automatically.

It seemed to run in some other process whenever I'd start it, but when I'd put the laptop to sleep & wake it---same old W8.1 default.

Thanks for the response... at this point, the laptop was acting funny with vod installed, so I've since uninstalled it. (That too was a learning experience, since it never showed up in the Control Panel's list of installed programs; finally found it in the Start Screen's extended list of programs, where I COULD uninstall it via right-click.)

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb

Posts 4180
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 29 2014 12:40 PM

It took a couple minutes of trying, but I was able to click, and drag the mouse and was able to simulate the "drag in" functionality of a touchpad.

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 29 2014 12:44 PM

Move the cursor to the top-right or bottom-right corner of the screen and it will pop up. All the corners are hot spots.

Posts 9205
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 29 2014 12:47 PM

abondservant:
yet I still have to manually change the image every day

Do you leave your computer running/sleeping (with an active Internet connection) overnight, or do you turn it off? If it's not running, it won't be able to automatically download the new image after midnight. Windows will also restrict the amount of bandwidth the app can use for background updates if you're running on battery power, so you may need to leave your computer plugged in for the images to download successfully.

Posts 4180
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 29 2014 1:04 PM

Its a desktop, I leave it running all the time, unless something needs to restart the computer to finish installing - and then I log back in. No batteries (though I probably should invest in an UPS). They are downloading, just not being applied to the lock screen automatically. Hang on, i'll take some screen shots of the permissions.

Posts 9205
LogosEmployee

Looks good; the only difference to my computer is that I have "Play a slide show on the lock screen" turned off. I wonder if that overrides VotD's lock screen image if it's on?

Posts 538
Fasil | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 30 2014 7:11 AM

YesYesGreat!

Posts 4180
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 30 2014 7:13 AM

I had turned it on to see if there was a difference today - its been off... give me a second and I'll let you know.

Posts 4180
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 30 2014 7:20 AM

nope,  my lock screen is still the lion from yesterday. changing the slide show setting didn't fix it.

Bradley, do you use a local account or a live account? I wonder if that is the difference, because I am using the latter.

Also things scale in an uhm interesting fashion sometimes with my display resolution of 5040 x 1050. Any plans to include larger resolution images?

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS