Purchase Anchor Bible Commentary vs. ICC

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2286
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 27 2014 6:19 PM

I was tempted by the current ICC offer, but then I started debating whether or not I would rather have the AYBC for just a few hundred more.  I got AYBC because the volumes are newer, and they have some extra-canonical books covered.  I also feel like they are more often cited.  

Which one would you have gotten and why?

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 6:27 PM

I'm extremely curious about this also as I can pick up the Anglican Diamond w/ ICC for cheaper that the ICC sale, if I'm looking at that correctly. And pick up a number of other works I'm interested in. I'm just having a hard time convincing myself to go above my current payment plan after just getting it reduced by taking advantage of the new 24/mos plans.

When does the Anglican Packages 15% sale end?

Posts 56
Paul Knopf | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 7:48 PM

I have Anchor and I find Imuse it less and less.  In seminary, many anchor volumes were required reading, but nowadays, I rarely visit them.  With that in mind, at the moment I would prefer ICC but am saving my money for NIB and OTL/NTL.

think Anchor is generally more accessible than ICC because ICC is very technical and if you don't know original languages, you would get lost.  My $0.02.

Posts 5419
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 9:29 PM

I have neither, but I will say that I seem to find more references to AYBC than to ICC in Logos. I would love to have them both, but I'm not sure I ever will (not very soon, for sure). I had ICC for a short period, but I returned it so I could afford L4 Portfolio. I didn't spend tons of time scouring them (I rarely use my commentaries) but I have to say, I didn't find anything that blew me away. ICC is available for free online, but you can't search those or include them in searches, so they aren't super useful. Still, that makes me think I will get Anchor first if I get either one in the future.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 8352
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 10:21 PM

If you don't have it, get WBC instead.  It's cheaper and in my opinion better than the 2 you are considering.  ICC is too technical and a little outdated.  AYBC I've read a few volumes and too liberal for me.  I'd rather save my money and get NICOT/NT in the future or if your dynamic pricing is great then get Anglican Diamond which includes ICC and other resources.  The ball is in your court now Wink 

Posts 2286
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 7:50 AM

DAL:

If you don't have it, get WBC instead.  It's cheaper and in my opinion better than the 2 you are considering.  ICC is too technical and a little outdated.  AYBC I've read a few volumes and too liberal for me.  I'd rather save my money and get NICOT/NT in the future or if your dynamic pricing is great then get Anglican Diamond which includes ICC and other resources.  The ball is in your court now Wink 

I guess it does make it hard to answer my question when you don't know what I already have.  I already have the following:

NICOT/NT

WBC

Pillar

Baker Exegetical

Baker Commentary on the Old Testament

NIGTC

Socio-Rhetorical

Ancient Christian Commentary

Hermeneia

NAC

JPS 

Tyndale

Black's New Testament Commentary

Continental

UBS Handbooks

I don't mind a more "liberal" perspective, as my selection is already heavily weighted toward conservative sets.  I am hoping for a little balance in the force.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 8352
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 7:54 AM

You greedy you! Why do you want more.  You're all set for life now...LOL...If you have money burning in your pocket, then get NICOT/NT for me and give to us poor ministers the opportunity to own top level scholarship like you Wink

Joseph Turner:

DAL:

I guess it does make it hard to answer my question when you don't know what I already have.  I already have the following:

NICOT/NT

WBC

Pillar

Baker Exegetical

Baker Commentary on the Old Testament

NIGTC

Socio-Rhetorical

Ancient Christian Commentary

Hermeneia

NAC

JPS 

Tyndale

Black's New Testament Commentary

Continental

UBS Handbooks

I don't mind a more "liberal" perspective, as my selection is already heavily weighted toward conservative sets.  I am hoping for a little balance in the force.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 8:02 AM

I can't imagine buying the ICC set. And I do like the early 1900s discussions. I just wouldn't pay that much for 1900s discussions.  Scholars tend to talk to each other in their commentaries. So a set in the early 1900s is a discussion in that period. Similarly in the 1960s (Lenski) or 1980s (AYB).  

So, really it's which 'conversation' you want to listen in on.  I have the AYB (plus Herm/JPS/WBC/etc).  And I fill in with the newer ICC's (Matthew especially, since Logos doesn't have AYB-Mat).

I just got the ICC-Pastorals (Marshall).  I'll be overly critical and say 'what a loser' ... the reason was he started off the set with 'it's the same author' (one sentence) and then moved on.  After that, he essentially mumbled around twenty ways on the Pastoral writer mumbling around twenty ways.  Now I do  agree with him that the Pastorals had an author (that also drank too much lead-embedded water). But I thought Marshall would have some reasonably sophisticated info/rationale/something.  Not just an opinion.

But it illustrates that sets are specific authors, many of which can do great work (Marshall for instance). But a book at a time is a better solution buying-wise, especially if there's a credit sale or similar (like over at A-Company).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2286
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 8:03 AM

DAL:
You greedy you! Why do you want more.  You're all set for life now...LOL...If you have money burning in your pocket, then get NICOT/NT for me and give to us poor ministers the opportunity to own top level scholarship like you Wink

LOL, now I feel bad.  I have OCD, and I don't like links that don't work!  I like to go back and read something that is cited in its context if possible, and again, it does help add balance to my library.

Posts 2286
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 8:08 AM

Denise:
So, really it's which 'conversation' you want to listen in on.  I have the AYB (plus Herm/JPS/WBC/etc).  And I fill in with the newer ICC's (Matthew especially, since Logos doesn't have AYB-Mat).

This is a really good point.  I think I was thinking in terms of it would be better to have a set that falls mostly within the last 50 years, as opposed to a set that falls mostly within the last 100 years.

Denise:
But it illustrates that sets are specific authors, many of which do great work (Marshall for instance). But a book at a time is a better solution buying-wise, especially if there's a credit sale or similar (like over at A-Company).

I would of course buy them individually, but you can't really do that with Anchor or ICC (newer volumes), plus Logos makes them prohibitively expensive to justify individually.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 8:10 AM

Both AYB and ICC-newer are broken up (AYB this week?).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2286
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 8:19 AM

The newest three volumes of Icc that just came out are only available in the set.

Posts 9521
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 8:39 AM

Since most of the ICC and all of AYBC seem to be available individually, it might be worth seeing if cherry-picking the volumes you'd really like from each might be less expensive than buying either set. That's where I'd start.

I have no interest in AYBC but have purchased some of the individual ICC volumes I was interested in. I saved money over buying the set by doing that.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 8:41 AM

That's an easy problem to solve—simply buy both.  Big Smile.  You don't need food, clothes, housing, etc, do you?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3195
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 8:42 AM

Mark Smith:

Since most of the ICC and all of AYBC seem to be available individually, it might be worth seeing if cherry-picking the volumes you'd really like from each might be less expensive than buying either set. That's where I'd start.

I have no interest in AYBC but have purchased some of the individual ICC volumes I was interested in. I saved money over buying the set by doing that.

That is a good idea Mark.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 10:22 AM

Denise:
(Matthew especially, since Logos doesn't have AYB-Mat).

I know we are told it was lost because of contract issues but it is very odd that Accordance has it in their AYB release and Olivetree has announced it as part of their upcoming AYB release. Now I have this volume in my Logos AYB since it was part of the initial offering.And despite the disparaging remarks made about the quality of it's scholarship I must admit I find it a most useful and valuable volume.

-Dan

Posts 2896
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 30 2014 8:07 AM

Of the two, my pick would be the ICC.  The newer volumes are outstanding, especially the three Matthew volumes, the two Romans volumes, the Acts volumes,  and the Pastoral epistles.  And some of the older volumes are classics that are still referred to in any good commentary.

Personally, I don't think it is even close.  The ICC is on my most wanted list.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2286
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 30 2014 5:33 PM

Mark Smith:

I think I will keep the AYBC, and then purchase newer ICC volumes as they become available.

Posts 2286
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 17 2014 4:20 AM

Just to provide closure to this thread.  I ended up getting Anglican Diamond on top of the AYBC so that I could get ICC (I also wanted some of the other offerings).  I think that AD is a great deal for anyone considering ICC!

Posts 3195
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 17 2014 4:23 AM

Joseph Turner:
so that I could get ICC

HI Joseph, how is it possible to get  get ICC by getting  Anglican Diamond?

Blessings in Christ.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS