A Request for Feedback on some of Mounce's Greek Resources

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 778
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 8 2014 5:13 PM

David A. Peterson:

o o o  I used Mounce's Greek for the Rest of Us in Seminary (we had an English track), and am excited to increase my Koine knowledge and be able improve my Biblical knowledge and ministry to others.

RAusdahl had also asked about Greek the the Rest of Us.  I purchased a soft cover of this from the biblicaltraining.org book store last year.  It purports to help the student be able to use lexicons and dictionaries, which is the usage case mentioned by RAusdahl in the first place.  I realize that he has already joined us in the Faithlife group, he might still be interested in purchasing it.  Could you let us know if this resource will complement the Mounce grammar or should I just let mine sit on the shelf?

Thanks

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 12:13 AM

David A Egolf:
Could you let us know if this resource will complement the Mounce grammar or should I just let mine sit on the shelf?

Great question!  If I remember correctly, it was more of an overview and did not go into the weeds to deeply.  I have written this sentence 4 different times, because it keeps coming across as condesceding, but I think that the difference between to two texts is how deep (and by how deep I am talking sentence structure and contextual shading, not the profoundness of the Scripture knowledge) one wants to get into the Scripture.  It reminds me of the video from Logos on using Logos for Greek studies, and as Logos is my main tool, more appropriate, as both Greek for the Rest of Us and the Logos videos provide the information needed to use resources and tools that are available for study.  Logos is my preferred tool.

Not sure if that answers the question, or helps in anyway,  but that is my perspective.

Posts 1562
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 9:04 AM

David A Egolf:

RAusdahl had also asked about Greek the the Rest of Us....  Could you let us know if this resource will complement the Mounce grammar or should I just let mine sit on the shelf?

David,

For what it's worth, I did look closely at Greek for the Rest of Us (GRU) a while back, and if I hadn't been able to join the FaithLife group using Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek (BBG), I would most likely be starting with GRU.  But it's my impression that BBG will take a person farther than GRU, and do so without being any more difficult for first-time Greek students than GRU as far as it goes.

Having said that, I doubt that any review/study of GRU could do any harm.  At the very least, as far as GRU takes you, I expect it would reinforce what's covered by BBG, and it might also present the material from a slightly different perspective than BBG, which might be helpful as well.

But I think I'll limit myself to BBG and some of the free video resources shared on the FaithLife group's web pages (I expect that will keep me busy), and consider GRU only if I get stuck. 

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS