Dam burst?

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 27 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 5 2014 9:20 PM

Peace Robert!             AND Rosie!                               I can't believe that I didn't know what a minced oath is!               Thanks for expanding this old guy's horizons!                                      I DO remember my Pastor when I was a teenager warning about doing that very thing!     (to me and to our youth in our country church!)           I just never connected it to the definition:  minced oath!                       I'm glad you've blessed me with knowledge and information!            Thank you!     *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 19217
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 5 2014 9:46 PM

Milford Charles Murray:
I can't believe that I didn't know what a minced oath is!  

I didn't know it either, but I found it right away when I googled it. I was puzzled that your search came up with nothing.

I saw the word "minced" and thought of minced onions. Minced means chopped into tiny pieces. So imagine an oath or swear chopped into tiny bits. It makes sense that it would be less forceful that way. Thus are euphemisms. I personally don't find most of them offensive, but I try to avoid them when I'm around others who might be sensitive.

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 6 2014 10:08 PM

Rosie Perera:

Milford Charles Murray:
I can't believe that I didn't know what a minced oath is!  

I didn't know it either, but I found it right away when I googled it. I was puzzled that your search came up with nothing.

I saw the word "minced" and thought of minced onions. Minced means chopped into tiny pieces. So imagine an oath or swear chopped into tiny bits. It makes sense that it would be less forceful that way. Thus are euphemisms. I personally don't find most of them offensive, but I try to avoid them when I'm around others who might be sensitive.

I find almost all foul language inoffensive but crude (and not something i would encourage)... The minced ones don;t bother me much. I will say I once new a Pastor in the United Church of Canada, a nice enough fellow, second generation clergy. I went to his youth group, and I must say I always cringed internally at least with his frequent usage of Jesus, as an expletive. I never did bring it up with him, but I felt it was a poor example. Personally I would have been far more comfortable with almost anything else. Although I can see how one may slip there... I know more than once in my falls I have cried out God help me. Thankfully 50 years of falling I have never had anteing more than bruises.... When I think of the probably near 100 times i have gone down a flight of stairs tumbling... I feel lucky...

-Dan  

Posts 4134
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 6 2014 10:13 PM

I was unable to keep so many titles coming to production and though it pained me to do so, I had to cancel around 10 orders, keeping the 4 I am going to struggle to purchase.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 6 2014 11:13 PM

To Dan!      *smile*               Peace and Love to you!                 Along with you, Dan, I'm sure ...  I believe in Blessing ...   not luck!                Cannot sleep tonight so am up and in the next little while will be talking to our Gracious Father -- in the Name of His Precious Son Jesus -- about you, Dan!                       And will be doing so again in the future!               *smile*           Thanks for sharing, my friend!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 5703
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 7 2014 1:43 AM

Crying

Feeling the pain also there is way too much coming through in April and it is not material from the new base packages.  I had already removed all of those from my prepub list previously.  I didn't' count the number of orders I cancelled or have remaining.  Simply fact what was being released didn't line up with my budget so it had to be culled.  Some good titles including community pricing had to be culled.  I' think most of what I have kept is community pricing except maybe for one item.  Books or Bundles that were 20% off for example, will just have to wait till they go on sale at some point in the future or maybe show up in a future base package or some sort of Mega Bundle when it comes to the community pricing titles I had to cull.  Still I already have a fabulous library in Logos even without what I have had to cull.  That puts the pain into perspective, making it momentary.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 7 2014 3:21 AM

If I were you I wouldn't cancel any CP's or anything with an extra discount for early buyers until the last day. Logos' shipping slips too often for that. Imagine a $200 resource you got on CP for $20 slips 4 months, to when you could very well afford it -- except you already cancelled.Crying

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 74
David Betts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 8 2014 7:41 AM

I decided to subscribe to 'book cache' to build up a 'reserve' for all my upcoming orders.

https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=book+cache

Blessings!  and Shalom !

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS