When Yearly Bible Reading Plan Function For Mac?

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 65
seaview | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 30 2009 1:50 PM

I'd like to get my wife to load Logos 4 on her Mac using the Bible Reading Plan as an inducement.

Anyone know when this practical, attractive feature will be available to the "masses" of Mac Logos users?

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 2:21 PM

no idea... except to say the more alpha testers we have the faster we can find bugs and move the project along.  So all we can do is test, report and pray :-)

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 65
seaview | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 2:24 PM

Joe,

Is this what you are meaning? If I convince my wife to become an alpha tester, we might see the Daily Reading Through the Bible in a Year sooner? Pray for that success. Smile

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 3:01 PM

Hi, I did not mean directly your wife (although that would be cool and then maybe my wife would use it too).. I meant it more in the general sense that the more eyes looking the faster we will move forward.   But if that convinces her to help... cool Yes

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 65
seaview | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 3:57 PM

Joe,

I am stuck in PC land until some time next year when I give myself a Mac present like I gave my wife two years ago. After 19 years of her working with a PC, she is in "dream" land now. Can't wait to join her.

BillStick out tongue

Posts 88
Rus Howard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 4:14 PM

I cast my vote for the Reading Plan to come soon.

Rus Howard

Posts 456
Roger Feenstra | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 5:11 PM

Rus Howard:
I cast my vote for the Reading Plan to come soon.

Me too. I would hate having to do my daily reading with that device where you have to turn those paper things.

Elder/Pastor, Hope Now Bible Church, Fresno CA

Posts 88
Rus Howard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 5:50 PM

Roger,

That's why I purchased a Kindle - to be green and to avoid getting ink print on my hands.  I am reading 4 different books on my L4 A8 and would enjoy having the Reading Plan to pace myself.  

Wouldn't it be great if we could read our L4 library on our Kindles or e-readers.

Rus Howard

Posts 456
Roger Feenstra | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 10:08 PM

Rus Howard:
Wouldn't it be great if we could read our L4 library on our Kindles or e-readers.

Rus,

I downloaded L4 on my Ipod Touch.  I have been able to read portions of books, but Logos hasn't perfected the bookmarking yet, so it is difficult to use.  I'm sure it will improve with time.  I love the Kindle...one of these days I need to get one.  Do you have one of the earlier ones, or a newer version?

We'll keep hoping for the Reading Plan!

Roger

Elder/Pastor, Hope Now Bible Church, Fresno CA

Posts 92
Felipe Chamy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2009 5:51 AM

running Logos 4 under parallels, setting up reading plans, and installing Logos in my iPhone did the job (no kindle needed)

But I do wish and pray for my Mac to rule over Logos 4, not that silly thing called Windows... so I´m testing... I don´t think my wife will join any time soon though, sorry.

Posts 88
Rus Howard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2009 7:19 AM

Roger,

I have the original Kindle, my son just purchased the latest.  To my surprise, the original is smaller in length, but a tad thicker.  I am trying to avoid new technology envy.  I put L4 on my iPhone, but have not tried reading on it.

Rus

Posts 116
Joel J. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 10:52 AM

There is a way of reading Logos books on Kindle, though it takes a few minutes...

1) Copy your selection, chapter, or book.

2) Paste into Microsoft Word.

3) Download the free PrimoPDF software.

4) After installing PrimoPDF, you can print from Word to a PDF document.

5) Load the PDF onto your Kindle.

I haven't been able to try this, since I don't own a Kindle, but it should work.  Let me know how it works for you, and if it is worth it.  Money is tight now that I'm in seminary, but maybe when prices drop, I'll be able to try it out.

Posts 492
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 12:20 PM

Why would PrimoPDF even be necessary when the Mac OS has native PDF creation built into the print dialogue of every program?

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 2765
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 12:39 PM

Please Read an Respect Logos4's EULA, and the individual publisher copright restriction on title page of book. before doing any copying.

I am sorry but I get annoyed at posts like this - no  wonder we strugggle getting/keeping some publishers onboard..

I too would love to see reading plan in mac soon.

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 492
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 12:55 PM

DominicM:

Please Read an Respect Logos4's EULA, and the individual publisher copright restriction on title page of book. before doing any copying.

I am sorry but I get annoyed at posts like this - no  wonder we strugggle getting/keeping some publishers onboard..

I too would love to see reading plan in mac soon.

You know what I get annoyed at? Copyright laws that haven't kept up with technology.

I regularly print out physical copies or PDFs of electronic texts for my own use. Sometimes I might just want to have an article or two with me while waiting at the doctor's office or DMV where it's not practical for me to take a laptop. I'm seriously considering a Kindle so that I can convert some of my electronic books to PDF and read them on a screen that's easier on the eyes.

Copyright laws were originally set in place to make certain that the people who produced those texts received proper reimbursement for their work. If I've paid for the use of a work--in some cases I own both print and electronic--I don't feel that I'm breaking the spirit of the law to make copies for my own use. I do it regularly and will continue to do so. Copyright laws have been slow to catch up with technology, but as long as I know I'm not stealing from anyone and that no one is failing to receive due compensation, I will sleep soundly at night with a clear conscience.

I can promise you that making a PDF or print copy for your own use of a text you've already paid for won't earn you even one minute in Purgatory :-)

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 698
LogosEmployee

Some basic support for reading plans has been added to the Mac Alpha.

Adding the full Reading Plan feature is fairly involved, but until that is completed, we've added the home page tool which allows you to a) consume reading plans created on Windows and b) create a "read the bible in a year" plan for your preferred Bible.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Posts 2765
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 2:20 PM

R. Mansfield:
You know what I get annoyed at? Copyright laws that haven't kept up with technology.

Much as I agree, until the law changes, we have to respect it, "Respect those in Authority", "Render unto Ceasar..",etc.

Can I suggest you write to your congressman/government official, and everyone else who can effect change.

With great freedom, comes great responibility, it isn't a licence to do what we want.. however much we disagree (excepting if obeying would cause us to sin) we have a duty to obey the law.    I would also argue we shouldn't encourage others publicly (especially on a Christian forum) to break the law of the land either, as it may cause some of our weaker brothers/sisters to stumble and fall into sin.

But I have said enough... its up to your conscience I guess.. I have shared my understanding/counsel,  I wont jugdge you, instead my prayer would be that "you may walk in the path sof righteousness"..

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 492
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 2:32 PM

Honestly, DominicM, I don't know you, but you come across a bit self-righteous. Do I dare suppose that in 55 MPH zones you actually drive 55 and never 58? Never 60? My hunch is that we both have logs in our own eyes at times.

I've already stated my conscience is clear in this matter. I don't need the copyright police chiding me either at my door or on online. I don't need lectures on the need to obey the law.

I won't say anything else so as not to get into any further debate and violate forum guidelines.

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 60
Father Kevin Maney | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 5:11 PM

Cameron (or anyone who can answer this),

I typed in "create a reading plan" in the search field and got the "We haven't yet finished..." message. Next I created the string, "read the bible in a year" and got nothing. How exactly do we create a plan for our preferred bible (and should the check box be jumping around in the tool on the hompage when I click on it?) Thanks in advance.

JKM+

Posts 698
LogosEmployee

Kevin Maney:

How exactly do we create a plan for our preferred bible (and should the check box be jumping around in the tool on the hompage?) Thanks in advance.

If you have zero reading plans currently, it the homepage tool will offer to create one for you. If you already have one or more reading plans, it won't, unfortunately.

As for the checkbox jumping, that's actually a result of the list of next readings changing. Because we only show a checkbox for your next reading (this is true on Windows as well), it may not sit in the same position in the list all the time.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS