Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 19253
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 8 2014 4:26 PM

Odd: I received the Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church in my library on Saturday, but it hasn't shipped yet. In fact, it still shows as Under Development in pre-pub. Anybody else see this show up? I didn't order it, but it's part of various Verbum base packages, and I have Verbum Capstone, so I presume that's why I got it. But I've never seen anything download before it even showed a release date on the website.

Posts 6720
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 8 2014 4:31 PM

I will not be surprised if this continued to happen. Those with base packages may get the resource first, and then the date will eventually be placed on the website.

Many resources on the new sda packages show "still gathering interest", but Logos is working on them, because they have to be released when the base packages are ready.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 298
Hapax Legomena | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 8 2014 4:38 PM

With Verbum Capstone Plus I received a volume of the Steve Ray collection before it had a release date.

Posts 32527
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 8 2014 4:48 PM

Rosie Perera:
Anybody else see this show up?

yes

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1720
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 8 2014 4:49 PM

This could be related to something I heard about holding shipping some pre-pubs that are in the new base packages to make sure base package customers have a chance to get them and cancel pre-pubs of duplicates before they are released. 

No matter what we won't let anyone get stuck double paying, and this may be a side effect of our process for ensuring that.

Posts 19253
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 8 2014 4:56 PM

Thanks for the possible explanation, Bob.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 7:09 AM

Rosie Perera:
I've never seen anything download before it even showed a release date on the website

It's happened lots of times, at least since the time of the original Verbum packages. If you've already paid (through a package or bundle of some kind) you get the resource first, which seems fair. Not sure why they sometimes delay shipping for others for weeks or months, though, when the resource is clearly done. That does not seem quite fair. Especially as those others do pay more, after all.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 489
LogosEmployee
Louis St. Hilaire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 5:22 PM

The Compendium of Social Doctrine is included in Verbum Foundations+ and up, but was delayed because of data type reasons. We just finished it (it took a while because of the data type) and published it. If you already purchased it via one of the packages, the download would have come through as soon as we published it.

fgh:
Not sure why they sometimes delay shipping for others for weeks or months, though, when the resource is clearly done. That does not seem quite fair. Especially as those others do pay more, after all.

I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to here, but at least in this case, we did ship the resource as soon as it was ready.

Posts 54
JZ | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 6:56 PM

Thanks Bob and Louis for the possible explanations.  I too received it in my library a couple of days ago.  I had pre-ordered it some time ago but then bought a Verbum upgrade which included it.

One odd thing.  My library on my desktop Mac has been updated with it, but none of my iOS devices seems to see it.  Is this a feature or a bug?

In God we trust. All others bring data.
Posts 489
LogosEmployee
Louis St. Hilaire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 8:49 PM

JZ:
One odd thing.  My library on my desktop Mac has been updated with it, but none of my iOS devices seems to see it.  Is this a feature or a bug?

The desktop applications will download a resource as soon as it's published, but there's a lag (~24 hrs, I think) between when a resource is published and when it becomes available on mobile platforms. You usually don't notice it because we don't process pre-pub orders until the product is available on all platforms.

Posts 19253
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 10:15 PM

Louis St. Hilaire:
I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to here, but at least in this case, we did ship the resource as soon as it was ready.

Yes, it shipped to me as soon as it was ready, but it still shows on the website as being "under development" in pre-pub. Seems like someone didn't flip a switch on the website:

https://www.logos.com/product/31939/the-compendium-of-the-social-doctrine-of-the-church 

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 10 2014 5:27 AM

Louis St. Hilaire:

The Compendium of Social Doctrine is included in Verbum Foundations+ and up ...

I had pre-ordered this resource as an individual title before I upgraded to Verbum Capstone+ last year.  Will my pre-order be cancelled automatically?

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 10 2014 9:23 AM

Louis St. Hilaire:
fgh:
Not sure why they sometimes delay shipping for others for weeks or months, though, when the resource is clearly done. That does not seem quite fair. Especially as those others do pay more, after all.

The crucial word was 'others'. If you read again you will find that I contrasted those who have prepaid (through a package or bundle), and who do get it directly, with those who have done a normal preorder, who don't. Which is precisely what's happening in this case as well. The resource is ready, but those with a normal prepub order haven't even been given a ship date yet, much less the file itself.

Remember all those Baker books (I think it was Baker?) that were put on prepub individually at some point before I bought Logos in the autumn of 2010, and which then sat there for years, although, theoretically, they had long been 'Under Development'? Every time one looked at the prepub list sorted by Progress and came to the last of those with a ship date, there was the Hebrew Audio Pronunciations and a few others, and then all those Baker titles.

Then you must have negotiated a new contract or something, because suddenly a lot of new Baker bundles were posted, and most of them shipped fairly quickly. Only some of the older titles were also in the new bundles -- but although the files were ready, and shipped to those who had fairly recent preorders for the bundles, those who had several years old preorders for the individual books didn't get them. They had to wait six months or more until the bundles were broken up. Only then were their preorders attended to. It didn't affect me, but I found it a lousy way to treat some of your most loyal customers. And whatever happened to first come, first served?

That example is admittedly extreme, but that people with preorders have to wait, say, two weeks to two months after the file is demonstrably ready and downloaded to other customers' accounts is fairly frequent. It happened when Verbum and Verbum+ were released, and it's happening again now with the new denominational base packages. 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS