Logos Produced Hardware: Paperwhite-Like Reading Device

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 104
Bentley Crawford | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 15 2014 5:31 PM

Raise your hand if you agree with me that it would be awesome if Logos could produce it's own Kindle Paperwhite-type reading device! 

:)

Wishful thinking probably...

Reasons why I would purchase it.

- I love having all of my books on Logos.

- I don't love having books on multiple platforms.

- I don't love losing function and syncing by converting a Logos book to Kindle format (.mobi).

- I do love the idea of having a dedicated reading device utilizing Kindle's e-ink technology.

- I would be crazy about a Paperwhite-like tablet that displayed Logos books, synced notes and highlights to my Logos desktop, and had a text-to-speech function.

Anyone with me???!?

Posts 90
Steve Nicholson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 15 2014 5:40 PM

I am definitely with you for all the same reasons, as long as the device is also available overseas where I am (Australia).

Posts 9134
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 15 2014 5:40 PM

It would be way too expensive. Volume would be low, for one, and Logos could not subsidize it as Amazon can and does with the Kindle.

I'd rather see Logos continue to be the best content and software provider. Hardware is probably a loosing business.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 104
Bentley Crawford | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 15 2014 5:42 PM

You are, no doubt, right Mark Smith. Only in a perfect world, right? :)

Posts 893
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 15 2014 5:45 PM

I like the way you think, but it isn't likely to be a viable business venture.  Licensing the paperwhite and eInk tech from Amazon would be pricy and hardware manufacturing isn't in the Logos sweet spot of "core business functionality".  All that being said, I'm considering a paperwhite kindle right now because they are fabulous reading devices and although I sympathize with all of the points you raised, I think I'm willing to put up with the pain of book conversion..... for recreational reading..... not for the type of referencing and tagging that makes Logos the best of research tools.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 10797
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 15 2014 5:57 PM

I don't necessarily agree with Mark's volume calculation concern.  One simply has to improve the dream!

Imagine millions, no zillions of little 'LogosWhites' in the pew holders of thousands, no millions, of churches.  English. Chinese. Mongolian. And yes Sedonian too!

I think 'red' would be great for a color. And OF COURSE, they'd be tightly bound with Proclaim (oh yes!), Logos (plus the easy version ... we are dreaming), and the new Logos Church Management System (LCMS) that's in beta (you DID wonder what happened to all the forum members these last few weeks??).

Mmmm   LogosWhite!

(yes I'm joking as usual ... well it does sound so dreamy)

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 18863
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 15 2014 6:07 PM

Denise:

the new Logos Church Management System (LCMS) that's in beta (you DID wonder what happened to all the forum members these last few weeks??).

Are you joking about the LCMS as well, or just about the LogosWhites? It wouldn't surprise me if Logos has plans for a CMS up its sleeves.

They should also do a LMS (Learning Management System) custom-built for seminaries. In the same category as (but better than) Moodle or Blackboard or Canvas, it will integrate your Logos library, course syllabus, additional readings your professor has posted, assignments, class discussion forums, etc.

Posts 10797
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 15 2014 6:24 PM

Unfortunately, yes ... I was dreaming the whole time.  But your idea is even better (if less profitable maybe) than the LCMS.  It'd plug into Logos Mobile Learning, Seminary, and the critical pastor refresher courses (kind of like CPA's keeping up with new theologies).

Posts 5315
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 15 2014 6:24 PM

Rosie Perera:

Denise:

the new Logos Church Management System (LCMS) that's in beta (you DID wonder what happened to all the forum members these last few weeks??).

Are you joking about the LCMS as well, or just about the LogosWhites? It wouldn't surprise me if Logos has plans for a CMS up its sleeves.

They should also do a LMS (Learning Management System) custom-built for seminaries. In the same category as (but better than) Moodle or Blackboard or Canvas, it will integrate your Logos library, course syllabus, additional readings your professor has posted, assignments, class discussion forums, etc.

It's called Faithlife Pro , us beta testers like to think of the Pro being short for Professor, but Logos is concerned that Zondervan might have concerns with that since a Mounce uses a Professor in his Grammar, m.Ed modules fully integrate for schools wanting to include them as part of their curriculum.  Way better than iTunes U. 

Posts 5315
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 15 2014 6:29 PM

On paper it sounds great, but  as others have suggested it's not all black and white.  iPad Miin with Logos , Kindle, and iBooks works well for me as an e-Reader amongst other uses.  Except for the full desktop Logos app it almost replaces my PC these days.

Bentley Crawford:

Raise your hand if you agree with me that it would be awesome if Logos could produce it's own Kindle Paperwhite-type reading device! 

:)

Wishful thinking probably...

Reasons why I would purchase it.

- I love having all of my books on Logos.

- I don't love having books on multiple platforms.

- I don't love losing function and syncing by converting a Logos book to Kindle format (.mobi).

- I do love the idea of having a dedicated reading device utilizing Kindle's e-ink technology.

- I would be crazy about a Paperwhite-like tablet that displayed Logos books, synced notes and highlights to my Logos desktop, and had a text-to-speech function.

Anyone with me???!?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 15 2014 9:19 PM

Denise:
Imagine millions, no zillions of little 'LogosWhites' in the pew holders of thousands, no millions, of churches.  English. Chinese. Mongolian. And yes Sedonian too!

I don't know about that since I think Sedonian is extinct.  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2962
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 15 2014 9:35 PM

If it was do-able, I'd love it.

My guess is that we will be getting more app-based e-ink technology in the near future from major hardware manufacturers so it will be a moot point and not worth the investment. 

Nevertheless, I've dreamed of this for years. I don't think it'll be long...just don't think that Logos will be (or should be) getting into the hardware biz

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 16 2014 3:11 AM

Bentley Crawford:

NoNoNoNoNo

(They're already spreading themselves far too thin, and this isn't even remotely within their area of expertise. Sounds like a recipe for financial disaster.)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2542
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 16 2014 5:36 AM

Denise:

Imagine millions, no zillions of little 'LogosWhites' in the pew holders of thousands, no millions, of churches.  

And with a strong chain so they do not walk out the back door.  

Posts 10797
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 16 2014 6:41 AM

Oh.  So you're just 'suggesting' church viewers would NOT take books of words of worship to the eternal God (so they could remember them at home of course).  But they WOULD take a cute electronic reading device that you can download romance novels to??

That just seems like a real stretch.  Next thing, you'll want me to be 'realistic'.  There's probably a theology for that.

Posts 1794
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 16 2014 6:45 AM

Mark Smith:
I'd rather see Logos continue to be the best content and software provider.

Yes

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 10715
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 16 2014 11:44 AM

fgh:
(They're already spreading themselves far too thin, and this isn't even remotely within their area of expertise. Sounds like a recipe for financial disaster.)

Agree completely

Posts 2766
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 16 2014 12:33 PM

The Logos stickers are fine for me. Smile

Maybe a few more sizes with transparent backgrounds. That would be far more economical for Logos and us.

Posts 763
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 16 2014 5:09 PM

I purchased a used iPad with lots of memory just so it would be large enough to hold my entire Logos library for Logos and a second time for Vyrso.  I'm happy to read with my tablets and take notes on my tablets.  The split screen capability sometimes comes in handy.  I haven't used it recently since I have been focusing on either ESV reading or Mounce Greek grammar.

I suspect that somebody will provide an Android or IOS tablet with Paperwhite type technology just because of the glare issue.  When that comes, I will take a hard look at it.  Meanwhile, I do wish that Logos would provide text to speech or at least be prepared to link to the capabilities that are provided by the tablet platforms.

Posts 104
Bentley Crawford | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 11:49 AM

Has anyone tried purchasing a Barnes & Noble Nook and rooting it to run the Logos android app? Seems like a potential way to have what we are discussing. See here:

http://lifehacker.com/5889158/turn-a-99-nook-into-a-fully-fledged-android-tablet-in-four-easy-steps

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS