Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 25 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 352
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 19 2016 11:00 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Day 20 shows BDAG usage, which is a newish answer for an older thread.

Free 30 Day Training focuses on doing a Bible Study using many Logos/Verbum capabilities  => https://www.logos.com/30-day-training.

Some 30 Day Training capabilities need version 6 with appropriate datasets while other Bible Study techniques also work in older versions.

Many years elapsed between my initial purchase and installation before using Logos and Verbum enough to become somewhat proficient.

Thankful for many friendly forum discussions; have learned a lot (e.g. add BDAG: prefix to long title) while having a lot to learn.

Keep Smiling Smile

Yep; I've got that bookmarked, but, I've been so busy I only have gotten through Day 2. 
I know Logos is a great program, but some days just to read the Bible is so overwhelming. When I was older, I could find passages faster than most software programs. But, these days, my memory just doesnt work that well. In the earlier days of Bible software, I could easily find passages I didnt know the locations to. With Logos, some days I just give up, instead, to find a passage more quickly, I type the keywords of a verse and google it. To make matters worse, Ive noticed a major drop-off in my Bible reading since purchasing Logos. I'm guessing that for me, Logos is much more than I need. I'm not in Bible School right now Im not teaching right now, so, what should have been awesome 6 years ago, is basically a very expensive software program that I get the absolute minimum out of. And yet I keep adding in hopes. 

Posts 2811
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 21 2016 8:23 AM

Batman:
yet I keep adding in hopes

Well, stop it. Angry

I did. Wink

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 21 2016 12:09 PM

Batman:
With Logos, some days I just give up, instead, to find a passage more quickly, I type the keywords of a verse and google it.

Currently Bible Search only looks for word(s) in one numbered verse. Dreaming of Bible Search option to specify verse range for searching: e.g. 1, 2, 3, ... verses.

Bible Search for Lord AND (anxious OR worry) in one verse:

Lord (anxious,worry)

does not find Philippians 4:5-6

Basic Search boundary in Bibles is chapter so Philippians 4:5-6 is found:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2
Edward Kim | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2017 10:03 PM

Hi, I know I'm reviving this thread yet again, but I can't seem to find an answer to a simple problem. 

When I double click on a greek word in the interlinear view of an English Bible, if it is in the lemma form, I get BDAG. However, when it is any other form it open up the Lexham Septuagint dictionary entry. This happens even thought I'm in the NT. How do I get the link to always associate with the BDAG entry even in inflected forms? 

I can't find a way to change this. I would greatly appreciate any help. 

Thanks!

Posts 21869
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2017 11:16 PM

Edward Kim:
How do I get the link to always associate with the BDAG entry even in inflected forms? 

Try double-clicking on the lemma entry in the interlinear as opposed to the manuscript one

Posts 9966
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 22 2017 4:24 AM

Edward Kim:
When I double click on a greek word in the interlinear view of an English Bible, if it is in the lemma form, I get BDAG. However, when it is any other form it open up the Lexham Septuagint dictionary entry. This happens even thought I'm in the NT. How do I get the link to always associate with the BDAG entry even in inflected forms? 

To add a little bit to what Graham wrote: 

BDAG and most other Greek lexicons are indexed according to Greek lemmas. BDAG simply does not have an entry for inflected forms. This doesn't matter if you go through the lemma (either by clicking on the lemma in the interlinear ribbon or the in-line interlinear, or if you go through the lemma tab when using the right-click-menu). It's just not possible to go directly to those 'usual' lexicons from an inflected form by double-click.

However, there are some lexicons, called Analytical lexicons, that carry all inflected forms. The Lexham Analytical Lexicon to the Septuagint is one of them (there is a Lexham Analytical Lexicon to the Greek NT as well, plus Friberg's ANLEX), and if it happens to contain the inflected form you are looking for, and if it is the highest prioritized/only available of the analytical lexicons in your library, it will open. This is actually a good thing, as it will open to the inflections table and show you the lemma. When in the analytical lexicon's lemma entry, you can lookup he BDAG entry by double click or via the right click menu.   

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS