Logos 4 Windows on Parallels problem

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 24 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 299
Robert Mullen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 10:51 AM

BrianWilliams:

I have a new computer on the way.  I was using Parallels on my old Mac Book and was having difficulties with response time, etc.  I have heard that if I install Windows on Boot Camp instead of using Parallels the responsiveness of Logos 4 will be greatly improved.  I was also using Windows XP on the old Mac and am considering switching to Windows 7.  Is this a problem?  Should I load Parallels using Boot Camp or just use Boot Camp on its own.  Previously I had Parallels loaded without going through the Boot Camp assistant.

The new Mac Book Pro will have 3.02 GHZ processing, 8 MB ram, with the latest video card and plenty of HD storage.  Please give me any advice you have for making this machine run Logos 4 most effectively.

Thanks,

Brian Williams

That should be plenty to run a virtual machine if you optimize it correctly. I don't use boot camp unless I am spending the majority of my time in Windows. I don't do it at all at home and only use it for one machine at work. The benefits to using a VM far outweigh the penalties IMO but optimization is crucial. As far as the boot camp issues go I think most people recommend a non-boot camp image for your virtual machine. I believe this area has been improved but I have still heard a lot of complaints about using the boot camp VM combo. Which windows version is pretty subjective. I have been slow to take the Vista plunge after struggling mightily with a Vista development machine at work. I virtualized it which was better but not by much. Windows 7 is really just Vista r2 but so far my experience with it in a VM has been a lot better. It still has the annoying security prompt quirks and some other real head scratching UI "features" but it works pretty good. XP is looking so dated now and Windows 7 is more aesthetically pleasing. It still isn't OS X but it is trying (to be.)

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 6:25 AM

Bryan, I'm running L4 under Parallels 5/ Windows 7 in the same partition; it's a Mac 2.8G Intel i7/ 8GB/ OSX 10.6.2.  The response time is actually quite awesome, and as a result I haven't bothered to install another windows via Bootcamp yet.  Smile  I'm now enjoying the best of both worlds, and it's actually really snappy and feels like having two computers in front of me.  I suspect you'll experience the same, that the performance of Parallels in your new computer by far outshines dedicated Bootcamp windows in your old Macbook.  

Also I would go for Windows 7, so far I found the backwards compatibility of Windows 7 to be great (you can tell it to emulate which versions of Windows with each app!) and all your legacy hardware/ software will to be supported nicely.

Posts 5
Todd Frazier Michaels | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 3:20 PM

I can't even get paralells to connect now. Strange needing an internet connection just to run windows 7 now. In hindsight, I don't get the whole 'mac' phenom anyway. So far the biggest waste of time and money ever. Better the devil you know(microsoft), though I'd rather not know any. I thought PC's were a pain. Least they work. Lotta money for a program I can't even use except as a really expensive reader (mac) I've gone all through these posts, at least the people seem cool. 

Maybe God wants me to stick to paper. Not much progress there though. <><

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 8:43 PM

wow, troubles with the Microsoft and Apple platforms. That is frustrating. Your posts remind me of my Mother In Law. Boy, if there is problem to find, she finds it. I am always dong tech support for her Windows, Office Software, AOL, her Palm, and her boradband service. Somehow she brings out the worst in technology, but she has me to help :-)

I have a suggestion for you. Do you live near an Apple Store? It sounds like you could benefit greatfly by setting up an appointment for some hands on support and training. You can do this very easily on-line at apple.com. Pick a day, time and location and then show up. It is very easy the times I have used it :-) The Apple Techs are most helpful and can get your Parallels working for you and also provide some valuable instructions.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 3
Brian J. Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 6:27 PM

Thanks to all for the suggestions.  Sorry it has taken me so long to reply...I have been away from the computer for a week.  I will let you know how the suggestions work.  I am in the process of downloading resources and indexing on the new computer.  Hope it goes well.

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS