Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 37 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2009 6:46 PM

MikeM:

George Somsel:

MikeM:

I use google as my homepage.

I wasn't aware you could do that in Logos.  Is it possible that you mean that you use Google as you home page for IE or T'bird?

Actually it's in Firefox.  I don't use the homepage in Logos because it reminds me of the tabloids parked next to the checkout stands at the grocery store.

I think it's a bit better than the tabloids.  I sometimes get reminded of things I have which I should read, and I enjoy some of the pictures (such as the stereoscopic pics.  In defense of the tabloids I scan the headlines as I go through and get a chuckle out of some and roll my eyes at others.  When it comes to some of the relationships  of the so-called "stars" (I really don't know who most of them are since I refuse to support Hollywood), my reaction is "How many times have we heard this before?"  It seems that it's a continual round of cheating and separation and reconciliation only to be followed by cheating and separation and reconciliation (or a relationship with someone else which then results in cheating, separation and reconciliation).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2009 6:55 PM

Tom Gray:

Paul Golder:

Since I don't imagine that you lend much credence to the chatter by some of the screwballs out there (They'll believe the Mayan calendar, but not the bible?), I assume this is humorous Smile (at least I got a smile out of it), but seriously, that is a possibility.

ON that subject...try this link and let me know what you think...http://www.harvestreno.org/messageVideo.asp?id=134&quality=medium

I can only stomach so much of such tripe.  I was wondering if he was ever going to finish his foray into geopolitics (accompanied by dragging in a few scriptures in a vain attempt to buttress his position) and actually get down to preaching the word.  I didn't get far enough into it to see what connection this supposedly had with 1 Jn 2.28 which was posted as the text. 

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 16
Frank Bristow | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2009 8:05 PM

I have Logos 4 installed on 2 computers. The home page is different on each one. Why? 

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2009 8:08 PM

The page is dynamic and is different each time it is refreshed.

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 11:36 PM

Tom Gray:

ON that subject...try this link and let me know what you think...http://www.harvestreno.org/messageVideo.asp?id=134&quality=medium

He states: "I want to preface this with: I am not setting dates" (emphatically), and then he goes on to set dates for the next hour or so. Hmmm...  If this isn't date setting, I can't imagine what is.

The biggest problem in such an obsession with mapping the future is it takes our focus off Christ. In fact, I'm convinced that the only way one can get so off-track as to be so interested in these kinds of mathematical calendrical curiosities is if one's focus is off Christ as the center of our faith in the first place. Jesus never suggested we should try to figure out when he will return again. In fact, he discouraged people from doing so. We are to live all our lives in relationship with him as if he could come at any moment. Whether he actually will return in our lifetimes or next week or in a thousand years is immaterial, and trying to guess at that is a waste of time and makes one the laughing stock of the world when it turns out not to happen. People have been doing this for centuries, and it is never fruitful. Whenever some predicted date passes and the prophecy guru turns out to be wrong, he adjusts his calculation and says he must have started with the wrong event. When 1948 turned out not be the right date that set in motion the final years for computing the return of Christ, they shifted their focus to 1967. When 2015 comes and goes with nothing but more wars and rumors of wars, they'll say "oh, but we're still so close; we must have been wrong about 1967 being the key date; maybe it's really ..." You see how this sort of stuff can get you nowhere? We should be living life with Christ in the here and now, with hopefulness about the future. Leave the timing of it in his hands, because that's where it is anyway.

The mistake underlying all such "prophecy ministries" is that they understand biblical prophecy as primarily a foretelling of the future. That's not what it was ever meant to be. It has always been primarily forthtelling God's intention for people to repent and avoid whatever possible disasters the prophet might be predicting will happen if the people don't repent. The point is not to figure out the future timeline, it's to return to God (if one is on the receiving side of the negative prophecy) or to be encouraged to persevere in the midst of suffering because God will one day make it right and punish the perpetrators. Biblical prophecy does not hold some secret code about the end times that was not meaningful or relevant at all to the people to whom it was first delivered. Yes, the relevance to us might be somewhat different given our historic context, but the fundamental purpose of it -- to call us back to God and to encourage us to persevere with him -- hasn't changed. The time of Christ's return is near -- I'm not denying that -- but it always has been, since his first coming.

If you were a Christian living in the time of the early church and knew then what we know now, namely that Christ wouldn't return in bodily form yet for at least 1900 years or so, then how would you live out your life as a believer and follower of Christ? People then might have gotten complacent if they knew it. So it's important not to be complacent about it perhaps being a long way off. Nonetheless, the end of our own life could come at any moment -- we could be struck by a car or an aneurysm in the blink of an eye. Thus again, we should live our lives as if Christ could come at any moment because our own unexpected death could preclude us waiting until the very return of Christ even if it will be next year.

Best part of the whole video, and maybe it applies to me too: Wink

Posts 298
Kaye Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 12:17 PM

Mark Barnes:
In all seriousness, I was just about to ask how images and extracts were chosen for the homepage. The ones I had (nothing at all to do with the devil!) have seemed really appropriate for me. I wonder what you've been up to!! Stick out tongue

I've been working on putting my mom into a nursing home after she set fire to her apartment by falling asleep while cooking.  Now you've made me feel even worse, if that is possible...

Kaye

"But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry."  2 Timothy 4:5 (NASB)

Posts 3750
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 12:24 PM

Kaye Anderson:
working on putting my mom into a nursing home after she set fire to her apartment by falling asleep while cooking. 

Kaye,

Please know you're in our prayers. Thanks for letting us know HOW to pray.

Many blessings to you, today.

Bill

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 10845
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 2:12 PM

Kaye Anderson:
've been working on putting my mom into a nursing home after she set fire to her apartment by falling asleep while cooking.

Kaye. I am so very sorry to hear that news. We will continue to pray for your situation. I know how difficult such situations become.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 2:36 PM

Kaye Anderson:
I've been working on putting my mom into a nursing home after she set fire to her apartment by falling asleep while cooking. 

That's tough.  Been there, done that.  I would go to see my mother every evening after work, and we would sit and watch her programs -- Wheel of Fortune and Jeapardy (The attendants said I should go on it).  Finally she would be in bed and already asleep when I arrived so I quit coming weekdays.  Then I got a call that she had died.  I have felt guilty ever since that I didn't visit her as regularly as I might have.  Hang in there. 

george
gfsomsel

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 2:50 PM

Kaye Anderson:

I've been working on putting my mom into a nursing home after she set fire to her apartment by falling asleep while cooking.  Now you've made me feel even worse, if that is possible...

So sorry to hear that, Kaye. I'm anticipating that with my mom one of these days. She has Alzheimer's and was putting things on top of the (gas) stove and lit fire to a magazine once. So my dad had to get a new stove installed that has no pilot lights and has a locking mechanism to prevent her from playing with the knobs and turning it on. Anyway, I'm sure Mark didn't mean any harm. We all like to joke around on this forum and nobody would know there was some pain going on in your life behind the scenes. I pray for comfort for you in this time of difficult transition.

Posts 298
Kaye Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 3:41 PM

Thanks for all the prayers.  They are never unwelcome and I know they are always heard. 

George, I did laugh (which I needed!) at your mention of Jeopardy.  I think you would do quite well there!  Rosie, you described my mom while talking about your own.  We were so busy with the stroke we overlooked the fact that Alzheimer's had overtaken her, too, probably made worse by recent health issues.  Her assisted living facility has given us a vivid picture of what she's like at times we don't see her and it's clear she needs a more controlled place to stay.

No worries!  I knew Mark was joking and was not upset by that but only by things weighing on my mind these days as oldest child.  I appreciate the community here and am glad when I have time to stop in and read a few  posts.

"But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry."  2 Timothy 4:5 (NASB)

Posts 22
Tom Gray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 4:18 PM

Rosie Perera:

Tom Gray:

ON that subject...try this link...

Best part of the whole video, and maybe it applies to me too: Wink

Rosie,

Thanks for your well thought out and sensitive input. I appreciate it. Big Smile

Kaye,

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. My wife has worked for both Senior Care Facilities and Hospice for the past 4 years and I understand how emotionally and physically difficult your days are. The families and patients my wife shares with me break my heart as I hear about people with dementia and Alzheimers. These 'diseases' literally steal away who they once were. Probably the hardest part for most people seems to be either watching their parents mentally deteriorate back to adolesence or their complete and utter denial of the fact that their parents are facing the end of their life sooner than they (the children) are ready.

I pray that God gives you wisdom in how to best care for your mother and puts Spirit filled people in her (& your) path in the days ahead for all of your care and well being.

Posts 298
Kaye Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 4:20 AM

Thanks, Tom!  I really appreciate that.

Posts 336
Icarus38376 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 6:51 AM

sullivanmp@hotmail.com:

It is actually a little humurous now, but on at least 4 different days in the last 2 weeks, the same picture of Satan from the Bible Readers Companion keeps popping on on the first page to greet me when I start up Logos.   With the vaste variety of photos, charts, and diagrams Logos has is there any reason this particular one seems to be popping up all the time?

Just curious if anyone else is noticing things like this.

I added a suggestion to allow or disallow media form the home page...http://community.logos.com/forums/t/8293.aspx

Posts 3750
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 9:00 AM

Kaye Anderson:
Alzheimer's had overtaken her, too,

Hi Kaye,

In my dad's 11 year struggle with alzheimer's (d., 2008), some things I experienced may be a comfort to you, too, as you walk that path.

1. Even when Dad no longer recognized me, even when all the memories were stripped away, he was still recognizably "Dad." That meant I could still choose to be thankful for & enjoy him. I could turn away from mourning who he was (a brilliant man, & a pastor for 42 years).
  2. When everything else had been stripped away, & I saw the inner core of who he was, I couls still see Christ's goodness reflected in Dad. Yes, he was mischievious at times. But seeing Christ in him, even then, gave me confidence that Christ could hold Dad even in alzheimer's. We'd meet again.
  3. God granted moments of clarity. Even after Dad had lost the ability to speak or do do anything for himself, even after doctors had said he had less than 6 months, even at the point that the family had gathered thinking "this is it",  the Dad who'd been missing for years was back for a few blessed moments.  All he could do was blink yes or no in reply to our questions, but he knew who we were. We could tell him we loved him. I gather that this "back for a few minutes" isn't uncommon. Any given visit may trigger such a reward. (Since I was 2400-3000 miles away during the 11 years, whether to visit was an issue.)

Others on the forum have already offered comfort & prayer... My prayers are with you, your mom, too.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 5:02 AM

Yes, I can corroborate the "moments of clarity" with my mother who has lost all ability to communicate or do anything for herself. Usually she just babbles nonsense syllables incessantly and screams when Dad tries to help her in the bathroom. But sometimes she will startle us by coming out with something that makes total sense and might even reflect a bit of wisdom. Sometimes it's just a grammatically sensable utterance but a totally offbeat and humorous non sequitur: out of the blue when I was visiting at Christmas, she suddenly said "There will be herrings!" Smile  But sometimes it can be really profound. And she has never lost the ability to understand what "I love you" means and she enjoys hearing it and saying it back to people, with obvious deep sincerity. Her disease has brought us closer together as a family. Sure, it has brought us sadness and stress, but it has also brought laughter and tears of gratitude and freedom to express our love in more tangible ways. What it has done in my Dad's life (he's her primary caregiver) is truly amazing. He has fallen in love with her all over again and has become the most adoring, patient, gentle soul. It's really beautiful to see him with her.

I recommend David Shenk's lovely book The Forgetting: Alzheimer's: Portrait of an Epidemic, which encouraged me much. It tells with honesty and poignancy the dual nature of the disease -- both its terrible stealing of who a person was, but also the unexpected joys and mercies that come from being able to forget all the pain and baggage that used to weigh us down; to live simply, in the moment.

Posts 298
Kaye Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 5:03 AM

Thank you, Bill!  I'm really sorry about your dad but I agree with you that you will see him again.  What a joyous thing that will be for us all!  Rosie, my mom still has lucid times, too, at this point.  Just turn on a Baltimore Ravens game and she's there...for a little while!

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 5:08 AM

Kaye Anderson:

Thank you, Bill!  I'm really sorry about your dad but I agree with you that you will see him again.  What a joyous thing that will be for us all!  Rosie, my mom still has lucid times, too, at this point.  Just turn on a Baltimore Ravens game and she's there...for a little while!

Kaye, have you ever seen the movies "The Notebook" and "Iris" -- they were both recommended to me early on and I wasn't able to face them at the time, but I've finally recently gotten around to watching both of them, and they each have something to offer in this journey.

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS