PBB Links from Resource to Other Reference Resources

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5
A. K. M. Adam | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 26 2014 12:46 AM

Greetings all —

I'm trying to refine my PBB version of The Golden Legend, and (as you might expect) it superabounds with points of reference that would helpfully be clarified with links out to various dictionaries, encyclopedias, and so on. I've figured out how to incorporate links to the biblical text (ones that don't show up in the body of the resource), so that's good; and I believe I can build in links to specific resources that I have (Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church is a good example), but not how to trigger a general look-up for "Augustine of Hippo" or "Gregory the Great".

So if that's not functionally possible, it's a shame but I can cope. But I'd think that it oughtn't to be that hard; am I missing something?

Posts 18888
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 26 2014 3:15 AM

A. K. M. Adam:
how to trigger a general look-up for "Augustine of Hippo" or "Gregory the Great"

I'm not sure if it's possible to do that. A user could select "Augustine of Hippo" and right-click on it, then choose "Lookup." As a PB author, you could indicate "this might be a good phrase to look up" by putting that phrase in bold or something. But it would be even better if you could make it into a link so all the user has to do is click on it to trigger a lookup. Maybe there's some way, but I'm not aware of it.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 26 2014 4:13 AM

A. K. M. Adam:
how to trigger a general look-up for "Augustine of Hippo" or "Gregory the Great".

I am not sure you can do a general lookup, but you can do a specific lookup. You could do a Basic search for any interesting terms in your library, searching only Heading Text, and then copy the URL and use the hyperlink in your personal book. Clicking on it would only go to that particular book, not to any book with that head word. For example, Lexham Bible Dictionary has "Augustine of Hippo" as a head word, so you could imbed

logosres:lbd;ref=biblio.at$3DInterpretation,$2520History$2520of$7Cau$3DTalbert,$2520Andrew$2520R.;off=18460

anywhere in your text that you wanted to, and clicking on it in your personal book will go right there.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 26 2014 4:56 AM

A. K. M. Adam:
... , but not how to trigger a general look-up for "Augustine of Hippo" or "Gregory the Great".

Thankful can copy search location to URL:

=> logos4:Search;kind=Basic;q=$22Augustine_of_Hippo$22;match=stem

=> logos4:Search;kind=Basic;q=$22Gregory_the_Great$22;match=stem

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5
A. K. M. Adam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 26 2014 12:24 PM

I'm sorry to be thick, but I'm not quite sure what to make of this. Just how would I go about inserting this sort of link into the resource text?

If this were the text in question, I'd put double brackets, then continue with the text such as Augustine of Hippo, then two angle brackets/greater than signs, then {logos4:Search;kind=Basic;q=$22Augustine_of_Hippo$22;match=stem} then close the double brackets?

Posts 29383
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 26 2014 12:46 PM

It's the same syntax as a resource.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5
A. K. M. Adam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 27 2014 2:02 AM

Excellent! I gave it a try, and this does just what I had hoped. It's a bit cumbersome, but the results are right; thank you very much.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS