Why Buy the Dictionary of Targum/Talmud for $20??

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 1 2014 11:45 AM

This CP will clear this Friday 5/2/14.  I'm not particularly interested in a lower price, etc.

But I do think that, if you haven't 'bid' (ordered), you should consider before Friday noon. 

https://www.logos.com/product/16534/dictionary-of-the-targumim-the-talmud-babli-and-yerushalmi-and-the-midrashic-literature 

as discussed in

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/73496.aspx 

As the name suggests, it concentrates on the Targums and Talmud, for the most part aramaic.  

If you're not a T&T person, why would you want it?

Mainly because quite of bit of the Talmud, and some of the targums are thought to surround the same period and earlier, relative to Jesus, and thense the Apostle Paul.  And indeed when you read the targums and the talmud, you hear many echoes of Jesus and Paul both (and thus the cultural meaning that may be involved).

Since the Logos resource page doesn't have any JPG's (that I could find), I made a copy from Jastrow that echoes a well known quote from the Apostle Paul:

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 9581
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 12:00 PM

Thanks for the photo. I've not seen a copy before.

Denise:
This CP will clear this Friday 5/2/14.  I'm not particularly interested in a lower price, etc.

FYI - it is close to dropping to $18 which is good too.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8141
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 12:15 PM

Placed my order, since it'll be around $89 bucks after that.

DAL

Posts 620
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 2:08 PM

Thanks Denise. I just placed by bid.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 9581
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 4:22 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Denise:

FYI - it is close to dropping to $18 which is good too.

Not sure what happened. It was very close to $18 but now it is not.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8141
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 5:27 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Not sure what happened. It was very close to $18 but now it is not.

And it's still within the 20's but seems like is barely there now.  Hopefully the price won't change.  May have to keep and eye on it to make sure the price doesn't go up instead of staying at $20 or going down.

DAL

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 7:30 PM

Anyone who wishes to look at Jastrow can do so here.  I have it downloaded to my computer in two large PDF files.  I'll be happy when we get the Logos edition.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 1 2014 9:12 PM

Over 1700 pages in this Dictionary and the nature of the work involved in compiling it is something we are never likley to see repeated.

So this is likely the only opportunity to get anything like this for $20.

It dipped below 100% for a while today so obviously some bidders are changing their bids, perhaps in the hope it might go lower.

At this stage it is very unlikely to move lower: It has been slow to get this far, it is a very complex work so it will cost a lot of effort to assemble it correctly, meaning it will take a LOT of new bidders to change the price, and relative to other CPs a work of this nature does not attract a very high volume of bidders.  

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 1:03 PM

Whew. I guess everyone that bid got their precious email.  Now all we have to do is wait for Jesus' return (and the dictionary of course).

I really wonder (a) what sent it over the top, given the immense cost-to-produce and (b) the strange shift in the $18/20 ratio.

My best guess a pack of wild elephants must have signed up last week.  The world's access to Logos is becoming a real trend-setter.

Posts 298
Hapax Legomena | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 1:22 PM

I don't mind paying $20 for this.  But it has been apparent for some time that Logos manipulates the CP pricing process.  I'm glad they do:  this is the only way we got Lewis & Short.

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 12:02 PM

Shipping at the end of the month!

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 12:36 PM

Thanks Evan!  This is great news!

Plus Muraoka's LXX Lexicon is shipping too.  Two in the same month!! (well ok, maybe I exagerated a little).

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS