Print/export with page numbers?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 45
Darren Loechel | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 1 2014 9:25 PM

I have searched this forum and read the Wiki on Print/export and watched Mark Barnes' video (thanks Mark) but haven't seen any way of preserving the page numbers from an article when exporting to Word. For instance, if I select 'Law' from the Dictionary of Paul and his Letters, the words and reasonable formatting are sent across to a new Word document. There is a footnote with a citation, but the page numbering starts from 1. This means that if I want to cite the document, I have to go back to Logos to find out what page number my quotation is from.

Does anyone know any way of inserting the original page numbers with the selected text?

Posts 26005
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 12:10 AM

Darren Loechel:
Does anyone know any way of inserting the original page numbers with the selected text?

It's a matter of choosing a citation style that includes the resource page number.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 506
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 5:52 AM

That's cool... is there a particular citation style that does this? (I don;t know much about these things...)

Posts 26005
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 3:08 PM

There is at least one but you'll have to try various styles to find it!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 45
Darren Loechel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 5:38 PM

Thanks Dave, What I was hoping for was the insertion of the original page numbers into the Word document that is Exported. The citation might tell us what pages originally, but if I want to quote a particular line from one of the 100 pages exported, I don't know where it is from at present.

Posts 26005
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 6:18 PM

Darren Loechel:
What I was hoping for was the insertion of the original page numbers into the Word document that is Exported.

It can't be done. You'll have to go back to the resource for the page number.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19040
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 6:30 PM

Dave Hooton:

Darren Loechel:
What I was hoping for was the insertion of the original page numbers into the Word document that is Exported.

It can't be done. You'll have to go back to the resource for the page number.

You can copy/paste the text from the exported document and search for it in the original resource to find out where it was and the page number it was on.

I would encourage you to do your research inside Logos rather than exporting large chunks of books to a Word document to do your work. Read the resource (or the large section of it that you are considering) in Logos, and when you come across a quote you think you might use, copy just that quote and paste it into a Word document where you're collecting potential quotes; the footnote will include the page number(s) where that quote came from if you use a citation style that includes page numbers (of the common ones, most of them do: APA, Chicago Manual of Style, SBL, Turabian; only MLA doesn't).

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS