How do I subtract one search from another?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 205
Stephen Paynter | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 2 2014 6:10 AM

I am interested in all the other Hebrew words that the LXX authors used diatheke to translate, apart from berith. I think I want to search for berith in the MT, then subtract the verses of that search, from a search of diatheke in the LXX, and then look each up in the wonderful LXX/MT parallel resource, double clicking on the Hebrew word to bring up its definition in HALOT. Does anyone know how I can do this in Logos?

Thank you in anticipation of your help.

Posts 25125
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 7:21 AM

Does the search below help?

Posts 205
Stephen Paynter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 8:16 AM

Thank you for this - I didn't know about NOTEQUALS, and wouldn't have been sure that it would have worked like this for a resource structured like this one is. This goes a long way to solving this particular problem - but it would be nice to be able to take one list of search results, and take the intersection with another list of search results - effectively filtering the search results.

There are a couple of quirks with the results of these searches.

A search for berith in the MT gives rise to 135 occurrences.

A search for diatheke in the LXX OT gives rise to 216 occurrences.

One would expect the search I am interested in would give 216 - 135 or 81 occurrences.

However, my search, like yours gives 96 occurrences. Looking at some of the instances, it seems that it fails to recognises phrases in that resource that contain berith as containing the word berith.

Posts 25125
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 8:51 AM

You can get intersections - but only with Passage Lists, not with searches

So you could run the searches as you originally suggested and create a Passage List from each

You can then merge then and find the difference between them.

That would give you the verses, but you wouldn't have the actual words highlighted as you so in the search results.

Posts 205
Stephen Paynter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 3 2014 1:12 AM

Graham Criddle:

You can get intersections - but only with Passage Lists, not with searches

So you could run the searches as you originally suggested and create a Passage List from each

You can then merge then and find the difference between them.

That would give you the verses, but you wouldn't have the actual words highlighted as you so in the search results.

I'm sorry, I don't follow what you are saying here. What is a passage list, and how does one create one from a search? How do you merge or take the difference between them?

Posts 25125
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 3 2014 2:57 AM

Hi Stephen

Stephen Edward Paynter:
I'm sorry, I don't follow what you are saying here. What is a passage list, and how does one create one from a search? How do you merge or take the difference between them?

Sorry - I should have pointed you at http://wiki.logos.com/Passage_List for more information. The wiki page was created for Logos 4 but the same principles apply except they are now found in the Documents menu

So for your particular case:

1) Run a search for diatheke in LXX

2) Save the results as a Passage List

which gives

3) Search for  berith in a Hebrew Bible

4) Again, save this as a Passage List which gives

5) Merge the Passage Lists choosing the "difference":

which gives

There may be some discrepancies - if words appear twice in a verse for example - but hopefully this helps

Graham

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 3 2014 3:30 AM

Stephen Edward Paynter:
I am interested in all the other Hebrew words that the LXX authors used diatheke to translate, apart from berith

You might also like to try a Greek "Bible Word Study":

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Posts 26953
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 4 2014 1:10 AM

Stephen Edward Paynter:

There are a couple of quirks with the results of these searches.

A search for berith in the MT gives rise to 135 occurrences.

A search for diatheke in the LXX OT gives rise to 216 occurrences.

One would expect the search I am interested in would give 216 - 135 or 81 occurrences.

The MT and LXX have different canons, so be aware of comparing results.

I use the Logos LXX and the search <lemma = lbs/el/διαθήκη>  NOTEQUALS  <lemma = lbs/he/בְּרִית> which gives 83 results in 80 verses; quite different to a manuscript search.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS