Home page over 30 seconds to load

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 44 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1535
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 16 2014 2:26 AM

Normally the content of the "home" page within Verbum 5 takes well over 30 seconds to load. The Internet connection I am on is relatively fast, with regular download speeds of over 1MB/s. I have at times had to wait over 1 minute for it to populate.

Even if I turn off every single optional element of the home page, it still consistently takes 13-14 seconds to load an almost empty page (displaying only the Book of the Day, which cannot be turned off)!

Of course, the result of this is that I try to go to the home page as little as possible. It would be great if it could be redesigned to load instantaneously (as, for example, the Verbum Android app's homepage does).

Posts 529
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 3:11 AM

Same problem here. Even worse, if my Logos 5 window is not maximised, and I maximise it after the home page downloaded, it restarts the download... adding another 30 odd seconds.

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 4:10 AM

Sarel Slabbert:

Same problem here. Even worse, if my Logos 5 window is not maximised, and I maximise it after the home page downloaded, it restarts the download... adding another 30 odd seconds.

I don't normally use the Home Page, but I did yesterday and experienced the same problems.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 25985
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 4:14 AM

Are you all using Windows or Mac?

i think there was a recent thread about this in the Mac context.

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 4:18 AM

Graham Criddle:
Are you all using Windows or Mac?

Windows

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 6063
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 5:15 AM

Fr Devin Roza:
It would be great if it could be redesigned to load instantaneously (as, for example, the Verbum Android app's homepage does).

Father, how does the Verbum Android app's homepage differ from that of the desktop app, other than in terms of loading time?

"God commands you to pray, but He forbids you to worry." - The Curé d'Ars.

Posts 1535
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 5:23 AM

SineNomine:

Father, how does the Verbum Android app's homepage differ from that of the desktop app, other than in terms of loading time?

As best I can tell, the Android app displays whatever it had last downloaded immediately, without waiting to see if there is anything new. In the background it downloads new information, and inserts it into the homepage or updates the homepage as the new information comes in, but with no dead time (at least that is what my subjective user experience seems to indicate... I don't have any background info on how the app actually works behind the scenes).

Posts 6063
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 5:52 AM

Fr Devin Roza:
As best I can tell, the Android app displays whatever it had last downloaded immediately, without waiting to see if there is anything new. In the background it downloads new information, and inserts it into the homepage or updates the homepage as the new information comes in, but with no dead time (at least that is what my subjective user experience seems to indicate... I don't have any background info on how the app actually works behind the scenes).

That sounds like it would have its own disadvantages - one could find oneself reading some blurb on the home page only to see it disappear, for example.

Posts 1535
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 6:29 AM

I am familiar with many other programs that display news and such from the Internet with no apparent lag to the user. A think a design could be thought up that avoids these problems. I'm not sure how it would end up, but am just hoping that it can be done. 

Posts 6063
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 6:46 AM

Fr Devin Roza:
I am familiar with many other programs that display news and such from the Internet with no apparent lag to the user. A think a design could be thought up that avoids these problems. I'm not sure how it would end up, but am just hoping that it can be done

I would expect that it could be done.

Posts 3771
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 16 2014 7:20 AM

Same here, super slow and I have a pretty fast PC. Using Window as well.

Like others, I don't use the homepage either.

Fr Devin Roza:

Normally the content of the "home" page within Verbum 5 takes well over 30 seconds to load. The Internet connection I am on is relatively fast, with regular download speeds of over 1MB/s. I have at times had to wait over 1 minute for it to populate.

Even if I turn off every single optional element of the home page, it still consistently takes 13-14 seconds to load an almost empty page (displaying only the Book of the Day, which cannot be turned off)!

Of course, the result of this is that I try to go to the home page as little as possible. It would be great if it could be redesigned to load instantaneously (as, for example, the Verbum Android app's homepage does).

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 17 2014 8:14 AM

Fr Devin Roza:
Normally the content of the "home" page within Verbum 5 takes well over 30 seconds to load.

You are lucky. I tried it yesterday with little RAM. It took 1 minute 50 seconds. I tried it today with a newly restarted computer and about 6 GB RAM free. It took 3 minutes 45 seconds. Though it's quite possible I lost track and it was actually 4 minutes 45 seconds.

Normally, I just click and switch over to Safari or Thunderbird.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 12580
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 17 2014 8:31 AM

fgh:

Fr Devin Roza:
Normally the content of the "home" page within Verbum 5 takes well over 30 seconds to load.

You are lucky. I tried it yesterday with little RAM. It took 1 minute 50 seconds. I tried it today with a newly restarted computer and about 6 GB RAM free. It took 3 minutes 45 seconds. Though it's quite possible I lost track and it was actually 4 minutes 45 seconds.

Normally, I just click and switch over to Safari or Thunderbird.

This sounds very comparable to my experience (except that it's Chrome or Outlook for me).

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 639
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 17 2014 8:39 AM

I agree.  Running Logos 5 on a fast windows computer with 8 gigs ram and a very fast internet connection.  Just yesterday, I got so fed up I have disabled everything except release notes and resource updates.  Does Logos realize that the slowness of the home page is so bad that many of us have chosen to no longer use it at all?  Seems like it would be in their best interest to fix this.  As others have said, I can load Google News or many other news laden sights, even facebook in 1/10th the time it takes the Logos home page to load.

Posts 9200
LogosEmployee

If you have a slow home page, please enable logging, restart the app and load the home page, then upload your Logos.log file. The individual components of the home page are timed, so we can see if there's a consistent problem from your logs.

Posts 5637
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 17 2014 9:53 AM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

If you have a slow home page, please enable logging, restart the app and load the home page, then upload your Logos.log file. The individual components of the home page are timed, so we can see if there's a consistent problem from your logs.

3162.Logos.log

Here's mine. Home page is loading from 11:48:56 to 11:49:30 in the log.  34 seconds.  That's one reason I rarely use it.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 639
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 17 2014 10:14 AM

Mine took 25 seconds from login to page loaded.

1104.Logos.log

Posts 2003
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 17 2014 10:20 AM

mine took merely 40 secs. Same reason with Todd, I never use homepage.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 17 2014 10:28 AM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

Here's mine:

4214.Logos.log

Took 39.89s to load the home page.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 439
George | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 17 2014 11:27 AM

About 85 seconds in my case.

6787.Logos.zip

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS