Writing Sermons Survey

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 30 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 456
Roger Feenstra | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 1 2010 7:12 AM

I am curious as to how some of you write your sermons using L4.  Do you use MS Word and just keep that  window open, toggling back and forth between Word and L4?  Do you type your sermon directly into Notes?  Or, is there another creative way that works for you?

Happy New Year!

Elder/Pastor, Hope Now Bible Church, Fresno CA

Posts 1718
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 7:23 AM

I use MS Word to prepare sermons/lectures.

I run Logos 4 on the 17" laptop screen, with a 22" monitor rotated to portrait so it displays about 1½ pages of notes in Word. Works a treat.

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 7:41 AM

I got a refurbished HP desktop last year that can support two monitors; and I got a second 20inch monitor on clearance for $149, so I too work with two monitors, Logos 4 on the main one and a Word Processor on the other.  Saves an enormous amount of time versus toggling between windows on the one monitor.

Posts 3854
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 7:58 AM

Yes and no.  I have a sermon template that I use with Open Office - though something similar could easily be done with MS Word.  Since I do not use LOGOS Notes, I copy text into either MS OneNote or David Michael's TheJournal in order to collect useful information.  OneNote is particularly useful when I use my Tablet PC - I can take hand written notes.  Both allow me to tack notes and text to the sermon, rather than to a passage or part of a book.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 8:02 AM

I use MS Word. This has been my practice for a long time. Like Allen I use a lap top with a 22' monitor. I have one doc for working on my sermon and another doc (these are place side by side) that has all my notes that I have been keeping on a particular package. The laptop is usually opened to my text once I am done taking notes.

Posts 1551
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 8:20 AM

I toggle back and forth to msword. However I put my bible and text comparison in one floating window My reference and other target bible in another floating window. I leave my commentary  full screen in the passage Guide and have another floating window with my exegetical guide. So basically I have four full screen floating windows on my task bar for logos 4. It makes it easier to read on my laptop.

Posts 14
Chris Eller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 9:15 AM

I use MS Word with a dual monitor setup. This allows me to have my reference material on the left and Word open on the right. Cutting and pasting between the two is seamless. I also tend to collect my reference material in OneNote. This makes for easy searching and after working with OneNote for so many years, I've grown accustomed to how I can move material around, link to paragraphs, and outline.

One of my concerns about keeping my notes and reference material in Logos is what we are now experiencing. In the transition between L3 and L4, we've lost access to our notes and pbb files. I know this will be restored in the future, but what if it wasn't? Do you really want your life's work stored in a proprietary format? Hopefully, Logos will incorporate into their system a simple method to export all user content into a universally accepted format (e.g. XML).

Posts 456
Roger Feenstra | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 10:18 AM

Chris Eller:
Do you really want your life's work stored in a proprietary format?

That is certainly a fear that I have. 

Posts 33762
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 10:22 AM

Chris Eller:
Do you really want your life's work stored in a proprietary format? Hopefully, Logos will incorporate into their system a simple method to export all user content into a universally accepted format (e.g. XML).

I may be incorrect but if I've heard correctly, Logos is using XML within a database. There are native XML databases around.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3750
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 11:00 AM

Chris Eller:
concerns about keeping my notes and reference material in Logos

I've been a long-time Logos user (since 1.6). And 1.6 was the last proprietary format I trusted. Bob's development goals haven't changed. Each new system has been a total rewrite, & only after users were vocal in demanding it did some of the data get ported over.

Don't get me wrong: I love Logos. And I WANT the high tech. But I learned when 1.6's verse lists (e.g.) failed to make it that it was MY mistake if I left important data in Logos. ALWAYS get it to a system where backward compatibility IS a design goal (your pick of word processors, e.g.). If my memory is working (may need more coffee), Notes haven't made it in the 1st release (2.0, 3.0, 4.0), yet.

So, I'm using MS-Word on a laptop to hold both research notes & sermon manuscript. A separate file for each one, organized by the Scripture reference. I have 66 folders for storage, so it's an easy matter to find either reference material or sermon material on any passage.

When I'm doing research, I don't try to digest it all in Logos. I only try to determine if I want to use the material as part of the research. Research includes 1st the Scripture text, & then material from MPG--commentaries, journals, & sermons from logos & sermons.com.

The sermon document begins with the Scripture preloaded, which then serves as my outline--and a "check" so I don't go too far afield from what it's trying to say.

Many blessings!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 89
JF | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 1:00 PM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I use MS Word for my sermon/lessons.  I tried to use the Logos Sermon files in Logos 3 but it become to must of a burden for me and Logos 3.  I could not find an easy way to use all of the tags to catalog all of my files.  I need a good quick way to use some tag, Bible references, dates and folders to keep everything organized.  I have to much going now without trying to be a librarian. 

I like how MS Word is easy to use or at least some word processor of some sort.   I also like how I am able to search my resource and my_content with Logos 4.  What would be great if I could use Logos 4 to just search a Windows folder ( and it sub folders ) as I do a collection.  I think I could manage that without all of the overhead burden.  Maybe I am the only one who works this way but we all have to use what works.

Wish all of the best in your preparation and may the Lord be lifted up.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 1:09 PM

Roger Feenstra:

I am curious as to how some of you write your sermons using L4.  Do you use MS Word and just keep that  window open, toggling back and forth between Word and L4?  Do you type your sermon directly into Notes?  Or, is there another creative way that works for you?

Happy New Year!

I use L4 and WordPerfect (X4) on a two monitor system. Before I had two monitors I used Alt-Tab a lot. I do my research in L4, and may make a few short textual notes. I keep my major work in WP format, including in-depth word/topic studies and all my sermons. I wouldn't dream of trying to write a sermon in L4 (or L3 for that matter). Logos has stated that they do not want to write a word processor. I don't blame them. Nor would I want to try to write a sermon with what's available in L3 or L4 note files.

I do have the sermon file add-in, but I haven't used it since I started with the L4 pre-release beta. I'm hoping the sermon file add-in for L4 will be a bit easier to use, and offer some more formatting options (outlining please!), so I'm not importing my sermons for now either. But I do like the sermon file add-in and don't regret buying it or the time I've put in to importing sermons. (Of course I'd never use the sermon file addin from L3 to write a sermon, unless I was writing one on "Frustration.")

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 456
Roger Feenstra | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 3:08 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
(Of course I'd never use the sermon file addin from L3 to write a sermon, unless I was writing one on "Frustration.")

Now that would be a Spirit filled message Angry

I was wondering about the Sermon File add-in.  The concept is pretty cool, but does it work?  It appears; not very well.

For about a year, I have been writing my sermons in Google Docs.  After I write them,  I copy and paste to MS Word, where I can manipulate the formatting a little better. But my primary storage is in Google Docs.  I also send many of them to our church website where they are accessible and also serves as a form of another backup or storage.

In the olden days, so to speak, we just used a yellow legal pad and a number 2 pencil, then stuck them in a folder.  (Ahhh, life was so much easier then).

Roger

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 12:41 PM

Allen Browne:

I run Logos 4 on the 17" laptop screen, with a 22" monitor rotated to portrait so it displays about 1½ pages of notes in Word. Works a treat.

I have a laptop and an extra monitor...Can you tell me how you set up both your monitors to work?  I am assuming you just have the one laptop cpu and so forth for both monitors and working.  its not a second computer is it?

Wiliam

Posts 3750
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 1:27 PM

William Bingham:
how you set up both your monitors to work?

Once you've connected the other monitor, your laptop probably brings it up as a "clone" of the laptop screen

Get into the controls for your display adapter.  (For my Vista setup, it's right click on the desktop, then select nVidia control panel; Personalize | Display settings will also get you there.)

Monitor 1 is most likey your laptop. Click Monitor 2 & check the box "Extend the desktop onto this monitor."

What happens then is that your icons will all be on your laptop, but your wall paper will extend onto the 2nd monitor. Regardless of where you have it placed, Windows thinks it's to the right of your #1 monitor.

So, slide the cursor to the right--off your laptop screen & onto your monitor.

You can drag parts of your desktop over there.

Enjoy!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 1:30 PM

I tried to use the notes function to add exegetical notes but the severe lack of functionality has made this approach impossible. I never used L3 (I was using the Mac Engine) but my only disappointment with L4 has been 'notes'. Spell check is a minimum for me so until Logos add it I cant see myself using the notes. It is a real shame because it would be good to use them.

With sermon file addin; doesn't it convert your word files?

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 1:38 PM

I use Word and Alt-Tab back and forth between Word and Logos. I haven't tried the dual monitor thing, though I suppose I could. I have a second computer which I hardly ever use anymore (it's running XP just for when I need to help someone with an XP problem and can't remember how XP used to do something), so I could cannibalize the monitor from that.

I haven't written enough sermons yet that searching through them all would be something I'd need to do. I can pretty much remember them all and just scanning through the titles I can find what I'm looking for. But if I did have lots more, I might want to be able to include them in Logos searches.

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 2:27 PM

Rosie Perera:
But if I did have lots more, I might want to be able to include them in Logos searches.

Like Richard I have the sermon file add-in (in L3--am waiting for it to be added to L4); I used it to import all of my sermons into logos and included them in the passage guide so that they could be searched (very helpful). I did not use the add-in to create my sermons, but I liked the way I could track where and when I had preached them.

Posts 1718
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 7:18 PM

William Bingham:

Allen Browne:

I have a laptop and an extra monitor...Can you tell me how you set up both your monitors to work?  I am assuming you just have the one laptop cpu and so forth for both monitors and working.  its not a second computer is it?

It's just one computer. The specfics will depend on your laptop, graphics card, and operating system.

My Dell Vostro has a VGA monitor plug on the back, and an nVidia graphics card. When you plug in an external monitor, the built-in screen goes blank. If you right-click on the Windows desktop, you can get it to run both monitors.

The nVidia control panel supports rotating the monitor. You also need a monitor that can rotate to portrait. I bought one for home, and my College bought me one for work (since I bought my own laptop.)

I've been programming with a rotated monitor for years -- even before I owned a laptop. Looks like this: http://temp.allenbrowne.com/monitor.jpg

As a side benefit, I find that Windows 7 does a brilliant job of handling mult-monitor setups. It remembers which monitors I want rotated and in dual view, which ones not, which ones cloned (e.g. for projection), and handles hot-swapping monitors much better than previous versions of Windows.

Recent Apple Macs also handle multiple monitors. (Older ones needed an additional utility.)

Posts 22
Tom Gray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 8:18 PM

Roger,

I am only a lay person, however I have been struggling with the same issue. How do I best utilize Logos to prevent being redundant in my work and still get everything I want into message. I love the idea of a 2nd monitor and I can definitely grasp how much time could be saved doing it that way. I have an old flat panel and I might just swing by Radio Shack to see if I can get an adapter from the pin to a USB port and try it out.

I have looked at the videos that Mark Barnes produced  for how he writes a sermon using Logos and found it a great starting place for me. Others have noted that they use MS Word - which the Copy Text & Paste function automatically pastes to (time saved there.) Still others have mentioned MS OneNote as a tool. I did not get this program until last week and I immediately saw how powerful and versatile it is.

I believe that I will use MS OneNote (Microsoft Home & Office Edition of MSOffice 2007) as my basic note and prep tool for my home fellowship lessons. I like how it is so easy to cut and paste anything from any location (software, spreadsheet, web site, etc) and put it on a page for easy location and inclusion.

I will use MS Word for my lesson outline - I had been using OpenOffice prior to last week. MS Word works well with Logos and is easy to use and configure.

I will also use a Note within Logos as Mark showed in his video to keep my Contextual study in order - easy to refer back to for later Exegesis. I think it just makes sense to have the context outline and notes handy in Logos until I am ready to transfer over to my Word document. Also it makes it easy to look back at your past work if you are preaching through a book.

I will also keep a separate Clippings folder in alphabetical order (unless someone else has a better idea.) Mark's ideas about a Clippings document I thought was a good one. I can't imagine having 100's of different 'Clipping Studies' to try and keep in order so I thought that alpha order would be fine in it's own folder that I could keep tabs of in 'Favorites.'

Any other ideas out there? Corrections maybe? lol

Tom

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS