Books I wish I could have bought on Logos

Page 1 of 5 (89 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 88 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 6 2014 9:41 AM

Most of the time I want to suggest a book in Logos, it's too late. I need the book now. So I'm going to post in this thread every time I purchase a non-Logos book, in the hope that it will help Logos know what sort of books Logos users buy outside the Logos ecosystem.

Today it was two books by Ed Welch

And a few weeks ago it was:

Posts 4763
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 9:50 AM

I expect this thread could get very long very fast...there's just no way Logos can keep up with all of the requests people have, even cranking out 10,000 books a year (which seems like a bit of wishful overreach to me--but by all means, give it a try). Only those few things with very broad appeal will be able to skate through the CP or PrePub process in short enough order to satisfy many folks' need for immediate gratification.

Many of the things I want may never see CP or PrePub, much less make it into production. Sad

Disappointment and I have become good friends. Left HugBroken HeartRight Hug

Posts 3080
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 10:53 AM

Maybe you could also start a thread that reads: "Logos, you just gained a sale"? It would be for those books that Logos has come out before other publishings.

mm

Mark Barnes:

Most of the time I want to suggest a book in Logos, it's too late. I need the book now. So I'm going to post in this thread every time I purchase a non-Logos book, in the hope that it will help Logos know what sort of books Logos users buy outside the Logos ecosystem.

mm.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 11:45 AM

Good idea. Here are some I could have bought in Logos instead:

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 186
Robert G. Mettler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 11:51 AM

Mark Barnes:

It is naïve to even think that Logos will/can provide all of the resources that one may want/need. To rely solely on Logos for contemporary needs is folly.

I currently have digital resources from public domain, my denomination, Kindle, blogs, my notes, internet, etc. that are close to or exceed in number those I have in Logos.(5889 resources)  Many or most will probably never be available in Logos outside of a PB..

Wise discernment and a personal management of available resources is the best course of action. As good as Logos is, it is not the be all end all for an individual's personal needs.

Robert

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 12:12 PM

Mark Barnes:
So I'm going to post in this thread every time I purchase a non-Logos book,

This reminds me of the MAD magazine cover that says "Buy this magazine or we will shoot this puppy."  I really doubt it results in Logos publishing a single book that they had not already planned on. This thread will become nothing more than a bunch of links to Amazon.

But have at it, if it makes you happy.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 12:18 PM

I'm suspecting someone hacked Mark's account, and wanted to know how many Logos bees he could attract.

I think Mark's idea is good; when I was in retail we used to visit our competitors to see what our customers were buying (and visa versa as well).

Maybe Logos product managers could stand outside the Amazon site and watch for any Logosians.

Posts 4763
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 12:31 PM

fgh:

I will buy all of these if they are offered by Logos...I especially would like to see the third one offered along with James Barr's Semantics of Biblical Language, with which it is adversely related. At some point, yeah, I may end up getting the first one in print if Logos doesn't acquire it first. I'll need it to establish what a bad argument for a correct practice looks like for my book on the Passover.

While you're at it, Logos, get this other book by Pitre also, please.

Posts 26532
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 12:38 PM

I had been thinking that Logos should ask us what was in our library - or add a library function to Logos so that they could gather the information. It provides a way to prioritize their work. So Mark, I'll cooperate - at the moment I'll leave out logic and linguistics.

• Readings for Holy Week (Passion Week Manual) - Moravian Church
  • Judaism - Israel Abrahams
  • John Through the Centuries - Mark Edwards
  • The Quest of Seth for the Oil of Life - Esther Casier Quinn
  • Bernard of Clairaux: Sermons for Advent and the Christmas Season - John Leinenweber
  • Year D: A Quadrennial Supplement to the Revised Common Lectionary - Timothy Matthew Slemmons
  • Making Wise the Simple: The Torah in Christian Faith and Practice - Johanna W. H. van Wijk-Bos
  • Catholic Means Universal: Integrating Spirituality and Religion - David Richo
  • Emerging Word - Donald Schmidt
  • Baal Shem Tov Genesis Exodus (Volume 1) Rabb Eliezer Shore
  • An Apology for Apologetics: A Study in the Logic of Interreligious Dialogue - Paul J. Griffiths

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 568
Caleb S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 1:41 PM

fgh:

I'm interested in these as well.

Logos 8.7.0.0042 + Faithlife Connect | macOS Mojave 10.14.6 | Mid 2015 Macbook Pro 15" | 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1 TB SSD PCIe Express

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 2:27 PM

On a related note, my biggest disappointment with the Knox/Logos DMin program is the number of books I have had to purchase outside my library. The least Logos could do is request a list of all the required textbooks and attempt to get them into production. For example for a course I am taking in July, I will be purchasing both from Amazon. Lost sale Logos!

• Greidanus, Sidney. Preaching Christ from the Old Testament: A Contemporary Hermeneutical Method. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1999. ISBN: 978-0-8028-4449-1
  • Johnson, Dennis E. Him We Proclaim: Preaching Christ from All the Scriptures. Phillipsburg: P&R, 2007. ISBN: 978-1-59638-054-7

Granted the Greidanus volume is in Pre-pub, but who know when it will be done? I have to have this book by July 7th.

I think that Logos should take look at what Apple does with the MacPro. Sure it probably makes up less than 1% of their sales, they may even lose money on it, but the people who purchase it are influential and fuel the sales of all the consumer products that are Apple’s bread and butter.

There is already a thread about the NA28 apparatus, but the same principle applies. If the NA apparatus is delayed too long Logos begins to lose credibility.

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 3:08 PM

I am sure Logos would like to be able to accommodate everyone's desires. They would surely like to have (and sell) what we all want and need. Nevertheless, we all know it is not possible to provide for all. They want to sell resources- so keep making suggestions with patience and gentleness.

BTW, I purchased these Kindle books over the last couple of months.

The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus by Gary R. Habermans and Michael R. Licona.

Reinventing Jesus, How Contemporary Skeptics Miss The Real Jesus and Mislead Popular Culture. by J. Ed Komoszewski, M. James Sawyer, Daniel B. Wallace

Is Jesus the Only Savior? by Ronald H. Nash

On Guard, Defending Your Faith with Reason and Precision. by William Lane Craig

The Story of Christianity Vol. 1 and 2 by Justo Gonzalez

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 4:36 PM

They could make a quick and easy ios/android scanner app... a way to digitally keep track of the books in ones library on the condition that Logos can use the stats in aggregate to determine which books they need to get into the ecosystem.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 2408
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 5:06 PM

Caleb S.:

I'm interested in these as well.

You will find that if fgh recommends it it should be on your list of items to consider. 

Posts 26532
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 6 2014 10:46 PM

I just purchased Faithful Persuasion by David S. Cunningham.

And Amazon gave me Justin S. Holcomb's Know The Creeds and Councils.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1076
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 6 2014 11:40 PM

Keith Larson 

Yes I agree it would be a very good idea for Logos to get a list of required books from Seminaries. 

They could try get them into production and even put them on CP.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 18670
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 6 2014 11:48 PM

Recent Kindle purchases, in the past month or so:

I used to not be willing to buy any theological books in Kindle, as I wanted to wait for them to come out in Logos format. Then I started caving in once in a blue moon. The trickle has become a wide river.

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 7 2014 5:33 AM

I think they are losing hundreds if not thousands of sales by not discounting Zondervan's overpriced Illustrated Series

https://www.logos.com/product/20158/zondervan-illustrated-bible-backgrounds-commentary-new-testament-and-old-testament

but everyone in here knows that already Stick out tongue

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 7 2014 6:42 AM

on another note, I chose not to wait when Logos/publishers unbundle a collection and bought Women in the Church: An Analysis and Application of 1 Timothy 2:9-15 when it was on sale for 3.82

Posts 1979
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 7 2014 7:02 AM

Rosie Perera:
I used to not be willing to buy any theological books in Kindle, as I wanted to wait for them to come out in Logos format. Then I started caving in once in a blue moon. The trickle has become a wide river.

This is the case with me as well.  I recently caved and purchased The Sacred Bridge from Accordance, which also forced me to buy the most basic base package.  This then prompted me to purchase their atlas add-in, which I have really enjoyed using.  If their had been any communication concerning the Carta material, then I would have waited.  Now I like the way Accordance does mapping, so I might continue using it for map/atlas resources.

I also find myself purchasing way more Kindle resources than I wish was necessary.

I would add that I don't have a problem with the fact that Logos doesn't offer all titles;  it's the fact that I have no idea whether or not they are working to get suggested resources, or if they are close to production on some.  For instance, the OTL/NTL sets were something that I had given up on Logos having, when they suddenly popped up on Pre-pub.  I know Bob has addressed this, but I still think communication could be better.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Page 1 of 5 (89 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS