Indexer.log file is massive

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5
Neil Castle | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 11 2014 5:46 PM

My mac began telling me that my 250Gb hard drive was full, and after doing a quick search of my hard drive I found that ~170Gb was my all my Logos 4 files. It seemed kind of large to me, but figured my library had just gotten kinda big.

So I purchased an external hard drive to store my library on. As I was trying to figure out how to store move my library, I found that there was actually only one file that was taking up all the room.

The indexer.log file is over 150Gb!

Located at Library/Application Support/Logos4/Logging

Seems excessively large for me... what can I do? Delete it? Reduce it?

I'd like to be able to return my hard drive asap so I can get a refund!

Posts 12348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 11 2014 7:51 PM

Neil,

You can safely delete this file. It's a diagnostic log that is used to check for errors that may occur. If Logos needs the file in the future, it will recreate the file.

However, it should never have got this big. The fact it has got this big suggests that there is something wrong with your computer or your Logos installation, or both.

Working with a 150Gb file is next to impossible, so personally I would delete the file but pay very close attention to the log. If it ever gets any bigger than a few Mb, then upload it here and we might be able to see what the problem is.

You could also disable logging, but that may prevent you from seeing what might be causing the problem (i.e. the huge log file is probably a symptom, not a cause of a problem).

Posts 5
Neil Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 11 2014 11:21 PM

Great, thanks Mark.

I've noticed that Logos tends to spend a lot of time and CPU energy indexing. Is it worth me reinstalling Logos?

Posts 19839
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 11 2014 11:34 PM

Hi Neil

Neil Castle:

I've noticed that Logos tends to spend a lot of time and CPU energy indexing. Is it worth me reinstalling Logos?

Before thinking about reinstalling I would delete the large file and then ensure logging is enabled and post logs as per Mark's suggestion. That might help us determine what is going on.

One thing - you posted in the Logos 4 forum. Are you still running Logos 4? If so, are you aware you can upgrade to the core Logos 5 engine for free (https://www.logos.com/install)?

This provides new functionality as well as fixing a lot of problems.

Graham

Posts 12348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 12 2014 12:48 AM

Neil Castle:

If indexing as never finished (which seems likely given then size of the log file), we need to find out why that is. It's possible reinstalling might fix the, but in this instance, it's more likely that it won't. Probably the log will show up some kind of semi-serious disk error (serious enough to create a log entry and disrupt indexing, but not serious enough to completely crash the indexer).

By the way, Graham's right about Logos 5. Unless you're running OS X 10.5 or earlier, you'd be better off with L5. But personally, because I think it likely the problem is hardware/OS related, before you (re-)install I'd make sure that either (a) the problem has gone away [i.e. no an ordinary log file with no errors], or (b) the problem isn't hardware/OS related [i.e. we've looked at a new log file and understand the error].

Posts 5
Neil Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 12 2014 1:23 AM

Thanks Graham and Mark. I am running Logos 4 and didn't think I could upgrade without spending $$$'s as I don't have a Logos 5 base package like it says on the install page. But will do if that's possible.

I'm running OS X 10.9.3

When would it be best to check the log file and send it through to you guys? In a few days or just after launching Logos again?

Posts 19839
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 12 2014 1:55 AM

Hi Neil

Neil Castle:
I am running Logos 4 and didn't think I could upgrade without spending $$$'s as I don't have a Logos 5 base package like it says on the install page. But will do if that's possible.

You can upgrade to the core Logos 5 engine for free - Logos 5 base packages are chargeable.

If you click on the Mac Download button on the page I linked to above that will kick-start the update process and then follow the instructions on that page.

But as per Mark's advice it would be good to get a better understanding of what is going on first.

Neil Castle:
I'm running OS X 10.9.3

That's fine - OS X 10.6 or higher is required (this might change to 10.9 shortly but you are still ok)

Neil Castle:
When would it be best to check the log file and send it through to you guys? In a few days or just after launching Logos again?

I would launch Logos 5 and let it run for an hour or so, stop Logos and post the logs into this thread using the paperclip icon

Graham

Posts 12348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 12 2014 3:56 PM

Neil Castle:

Long enough for the problem to reoccur (if it's going to), but not so long as to make the log file grow to an unmanageable size. Anything over a couple of megabytes in size probably indicates something is going wrong. So keep an eye on the file size. If the file size is still normal in a few days time, you could upload the log file anyway if you want reassurance that it's OK.

Posts 5
Neil Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 13 2014 1:09 AM

Hey guys,

I've installed the logos 5 engine and it seemed to index relatively quickly and didn't get stuck. I've restarted a couple of times and it hasn't seemed to have tried to index, which is what I think it used to do. I had a look for the same indexer log file but couldn't find it. Is that because a) you guys are awesome and the problem is fixed so the file hasn't been created, or b) you guys are still awesome but I just need to look harder?

Thanks for your help!

Posts 12348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 13 2014 1:22 AM

If everything works, then just carry on Smile. But do come back if there's a problem in the future.

Posts 5
Neil Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 15 2014 5:54 PM

Awesome, thanks gents! Big Smile

Posts 1
Maria Menjivar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 7 2018 10:58 PM
Mark, How do we delete this? My computer is showing indexer.log is 610GB and also not allowing my iMAC to even update. Can you send instructions here please? Thanks!
Posts 12348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 8 2018 1:09 AM

Maria Menjivar:
Mark, How do we delete this? My computer is showing indexer.log is 610GB and also not allowing my iMAC to even update. Can you send instructions here please? Thanks!

Hi Maria,

I'm not a Mac user, so it would probably be better for someone else to give you step-by-step instructions for deleting indexer.log. I'm sure someone will do that soon.

Posts 17240
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 8 2018 6:20 AM

Maria Menjivar:
How do we delete this? My computer is showing indexer.log is 610GB and also not allowing my iMAC to even update. Can you send instructions here please? Thanks!

Welcome Big Smile

Logos wiki has => Mac section in https://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging that includes diagnostic log folders in 

Logos wiki => OS X Troubleshooting includes User Library is Hidden

In Finder, suggest using Go to Folder...

~/Library

followed by navigating to appropriate Logging folder.

Right click on Indexer.log followed by choosing Move to Trash

Right click on Track can in Dock followed by Empty Trash (to delete everything in Trash)

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS