Page 1 of 4 (68 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 67 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 18 2014 5:41 PM

After looking at it briefly it seems to be something I would likely keep turned off. I understand why the sales and marketing folks like the feature, but I would speculate most users will not find much use for it. I might be wrong. I hope not too much time and resources have been invested in this feature when there are so many other things that need to be worked on. 

Posts 5621
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 18 2014 5:58 PM

It must only be useful for users with small libraries.

I get "No Results" in the Bookstore section in the Passage Guide and Exegetical Guide.  And I get a bunch of Spanish resources recommended in the Topic guide.  Hmmm.  No thanks.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 18 2014 6:00 PM

Fredc:
After looking at it briefly it seems to be something I would likely keep turned off. I understand why the sales and marketing folks like the feature, but I would speculate most users will not find much use for it.

Hi Fredc,  You have piqued my interest. I am not a beta tester. Can you summarize, in a nutshell, what the "bookstore" feature is?  Thanks.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9136
LogosEmployee

Todd Phillips:
I get "No Results" in the Bookstore section in the Passage Guide and Exegetical Guide.  And I get a bunch of Spanish resources recommended in the Topic guide.  Hmmm.  No thanks.

Both of these known issues were covered in the release notes (http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_5.2b_Beta_3#Known_Issues) which were called out in the announcement post (http://community.logos.com/forums/t/86004.aspx).

Posts 9136
LogosEmployee

Fredc:
After looking at it briefly it seems to be something I would likely keep turned off.

Can you explain why?

Fredc:
I would speculate most users will not find much use for it.

Many users want to compile lists of logosres links so they can see the previews, etc. (see http://community.logos.com/forums/t/85104.aspx and several other forum threads); the "Preview" feature in Bookstore makes this available with fewer clicks.

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 18 2014 7:07 PM

Can you give some examples of searches? I've mostly been looking at the TG: jesus christ, love, trinity, prayer, mary, virgin. I get mostly dictionaries, usually with no More. In SG I get mostly Illustrations. Are these tied to only certain Types?

I realize it requires a different sort of index search on your end, but will this appear in Search? Seems a place where it could potentially be the most useful.

Very interested in this idea. My comments may be premature as I just started playing with it, but a little nudge in the right direction would help.

Posts 5506
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 18 2014 7:33 PM

I hope that when the bookstore eventually goes live for all there will be some videos and whatnot posted on how to make the most of it.

Posts 5621
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 18 2014 7:39 PM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

Todd Phillips:

Both of these known issues were covered in the release notes (http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_5.2b_Beta_3#Known_Issues) which were called out in the announcement post (http://community.logos.com/forums/t/86004.aspx).

Sorry, I didn't read the known issues as I thought it was a just lack of possible recommendations.  I assumed that it was testable, but as it sits now, I'm not sure what to test in this feature.  Will you be advising us when the backend search has improved? Or will that require a newer release?

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 5621
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 18 2014 7:42 PM

Super.Tramp:
Can you summarize, in a nutshell, what the "bookstore" feature is?  Thanks.

It's a new Guide section that recommends books related to your search that you can buy:

Posts 32949
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 12:52 AM

While it isn't the next priority in my personal list, I can see this section having the potential to be useful - or a nuisance depending on how well targeted the results are. My first tries got no hits, I finally got hits but primarily books of illustrations, my final attempt got me nothing but Bible dictionaries. I would expect more bible study and commentary hits .... and suspect others would expect more theology.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 6722
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 3:04 AM

Using Jesus:death got no tab for bookstore from Sermon Starter Guide.

Using salvation got no tab for bookstore from Sermon Starter Guide.

Same problem with the word Daniel.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 6722
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 3:10 AM

The bookstore tab is not working for me in Topic Guide either.

Posts 10826
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 3:15 AM

Fredc:
After looking at it briefly

I decided I would withhold comment until I could see more than one English resource. Tried several topics, and every suggested title except one was Spanish, which I cannot read. 

Posts 571
Martin Grainger Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 3:24 AM
This will support the books WITHIN collections too? I doubt...
Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 3:46 AM

This is potentially a useful feature, but probably needs a little more development. As far as I can tell, in the topic guide it is effectively listing dictionaries that you don't own, but that have an entry for that topic. That is useful information to know, and if I started seeing the same dictionary appear in several topic searches, I obviously might consider purchasing it.

However:

1. The big thing that is lacking is a preview of that particular topic. Without that, I'm far less likely to make a purchase. I know that I can preview the resource as a whole (which is helpful), but a preview of the topic would be much more powerful in persuading me to buy.
  2. However, just seeing the first paragraph on the article still won't be entirely helpful, because it doesn't give me a sense of how detailed the article might be. That's an important buying factor. Just look at the number of threads here of people asking to post comparisons between various Bible dictionaries.

Therefore what I would like to see is the preview button displaying the entire article (Biblia-style) in an embedded browser, obviously with a limit on the number of articles you can look at from any resource (perhaps 5?). A counter could display so that it said "Preview this article (4 left)" or whatever. Or you could limit it to 1 preview every two months, or something.

Of course, this method would need a bit of tweaking for the Passage Guide (or at least a maximum limit). You wouldn't want someone doing a passage guide for the whole Bible and 'previewing' the commentary.

Whatever you do, I think there should be a little help icon which explains exactly why the resources have been chosen, so that people aren't left to guess why Logos is suggesting them.

Posts 6722
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 3:57 AM

I forgot that I had to work offline since the servers were down.

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 4:16 AM

Add to Wishlist would be nice.

EDIT: Even if only to the default list.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 5:01 AM

Fredc:
After looking at it briefly it seems to be something I would likely keep turned off.

Can you explain why?

I see this feature as being the equivalent of the "you might also like" or "customers also bought" banner adds on a shopping site. Aside from the fact that when I sit down to read and study I am not interested in shopping at the same time, when I do shop I know what I am looking for and buy that particular item; I don't browse to see what I "might also like". 

Fredc:
I would speculate most users will not find much use for it.

Many users want to compile lists of logosres links so they can see the previews, etc. (see http://community.logos.com/forums/t/85104.aspx and several other forum threads); the "Preview" feature in Bookstore makes this available with fewer clicks.

Based on some of the comments in this thread it is apparent that some users may find value in the feature. If I am in the minority that's fine, but it does not change my opinion regarding its usefulness for me.

Posts 609
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 6:41 AM

I like Mark's idea. If it comes across as a hard sale approach or I can't even study my bible without Logos trying to sell me something, forget it!

Posts 2814
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 7:27 AM

Mark Barnes:

Therefore what I would like to see is the preview button displaying the entire article (Biblia-style) in an embedded browser

Yes  [Along with the rest of that statement.]

And yes, a way to turn it off and on.  Are we researching this weeks talk? [get out of my way - thank you] or just looking [and if we can not see the entire article why buy as I have 50 resources on that topic now ?]

If you are researching Jesus you might get as many as all of the other 40,000 resources as possible others you might like / want. 

Page 1 of 4 (68 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS