Back up of notes

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 28
Allen Dearing | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 26 2014 12:08 PM

One of the reasons I abandoned Quickvese for Logos was that Quickverse left notes behind and I had thousands of pages of notes.  They have now all been transferred to Logos (one verse at a time of copying and pasting).  I am now concerned about Logos Notes.  I know that they are on the Cloud and can be shared among various devices, but Training Manuals Volume 1 and 2 do not mention anything about how I CAN KEEP A BACK UP COPY.  I thought about exporting them and might do that as a document, but to print it is a little over 45,000 pages (yes that is right).  This is a lifetime of 30 years in the ministry of preaching and literally creating my own commentary, from thousands of sources both print and electronic many of which I no longer have.. 

Now the question.  Is there any way I can back up the file regularly on my computer so that if the Cloud crashes (I understand how unlikely that is but still worry of loosing a lifetime of work due to a flood or terrorist attack that takes down the net) I can have a copy on my computer?  Even if it is just backing up a file that is already on the computer on an off site computer.  I can't find the file if it is on my computer. 

As a side issue is there any way to share note files with other people?  I would hate to just have them wiped at my death.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 26 2014 12:19 PM

If you are running windows, the entire logos program can be found in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Logos5

There is a sub-folder entitled Documents that contains all your notes. 

I would suggest backing up the entire Logos folder if you are concerned about a catastrophic cloud issue. 

Posts 33777
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 26 2014 12:33 PM

Allen Dearing:
As a side issue is there any way to share note files with other people?  I would hate to just have them wiped at my death.

Yes, document sharing privileges/restrictions are set at

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 35
mjones1970 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 1 2014 11:27 AM

Hello,

Anyone know how to do this on a Mac...Where are my notes, etc folder?

Thanks

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 1 2014 12:31 PM

I don't run a Mac so I cannot check the accuracy of this page. However the link to the wiki will take you to a page that shows the path(s) for this directory assuming you are running one of the OS' listed

http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_Multiple_Macs

EDIT: I assume you were talking about the path for the documents folder. If you are talking about the documents tab pictured in the screen shot above, my understanding is that it is in the same place on the Logos screen it is on windows.

Posts 10847
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 2 2014 3:40 AM

Michael Jones:
Anyone know how to do this on a Mac..

If your question concerns backup, you have the Time Machine app installed with the OS by default. Of course, you will need a second hard drive/partition to hold the backed up files.

As to the location of your notes, look to 

/Users/your home folder/Library/Application Support/Logos4/Documents/some random gibberish/Documents/Notes

Items in italics will vary with each installation

In order to see your home Library folder, you may need to use the Finder Go menu. Hold down the Option key, and Library will appear in the menu choices. Then, follow the rest of the path shown above.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 2 2014 4:26 AM

Jack Caviness:
As to the location of your notes, look to 

/Users/your home folder/Library/Application Support/Logos4/Documents/some random gibberish/Documents/Notes

But can that folder be used to restore anything? Don't you need the entire Logos folder (except for the indexes, which can be excluded and rebuilt)?

Either way, all note files are already backed up to Logos servers (if 'Use Internet' is set to Yes), and can easily be restored from there. (Not that I don't have my own backup as well.)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10847
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 2 2014 5:20 AM

fgh:
But can that folder be used to restore anything?

Have not tried it, but I believe you could replace the Notes folder to restore all notes. You can't do anything for a single note—on perhaps even a single notes document.

The only thing I have ever done with Time Machine and Logos was to replace the entire set of files a few years ago.

If the Internet does down to the extent that we cannot connect to the Cloud, we will probably have more serious problems than access to our notes.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 2 2014 6:06 AM

Jack Caviness:
Have not tried it, but I believe you could replace the Notes folder to restore all notes.

Even if that works, you'd better turn off the internet first, or the later versions will presumably sync back and overwrite the ones you just restored.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 2 2014 6:53 AM

The reality is that the chances of your notes being completely lost from your computer and the cloud are pretty slim. Unless of course they are tored on an IRS server.SurpriseWink

Posts 10847
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 2 2014 10:34 AM

Fredc:
Unless of course they are tored on an IRS server.SurpriseWink

Devil

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS