Word Filters

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 29
Bruce Prince | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 28 2014 2:14 PM

I wish to do a visual filter on the word 'father' as used in the NT. In Jn 17.1, Jesus uses the word as a form of address to God, and this is the usage I'm particularly interested to pull out. Here, the noun is vocative, singular, and masculine.

In Jn 14.8, the noun 'father' is accusative, singular, and masculine.

The Lemma πατήρ appears 413 times in the NT, but which instances are vocative, accusative, and is there any other variation?

Blessings

Bruce

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 28 2014 2:27 PM

Bruce Prince:

I wish to do a visual filter on the word 'father' as used in the NT. In Jn 17.1, Jesus uses the word as a form of address to God, and this is the usage I'm particularly interested to pull out. Here, the noun is vocative, singular, and masculine.

In Jn 14.8, the noun 'father' is accusative, singular, and masculine.

The Lemma πατήρ appears 413 times in the NT, but which instances are vocative, accusative, and is there any other variation?

Blessings

Bruce

Not sure if you want a visual filter, or you want to tease out the instances of πατήρ used in the vocative and then in the accusative.

To do a search on πατήρ from a reverse interlinear, right click, select "Morph" from the right side of the drop down menu, then on the left side select "Morph search πατήρ@XXXX (where XXXX are morphological characters.) For example, searching from John 17:1 gives 24 results in 24 verses for the vocative form. Searching for the accusative gives 93 results in 84 verses.

If you want, you can create visual filters by copying the search string from the search box directly into a new visual filter. Choose different colors/styles to distinguish, if you wish.

Is that what you're looking for?

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 29
Bruce Prince | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 28 2014 2:45 PM

Thank you, Richard. I never cease to be amazed at the efficiency and effectiveness of this forum. People like yourself and others who are so helpful, are a mere 'click' away - for which I'm extremely grateful.

Your response fits my requirements exactly.

Posts 28007
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 29 2014 4:12 PM

Bruce Prince:
I wish to do a visual filter on the word 'father' as used in the NT. In Jn 17.1, Jesus uses the word as a form of address to God, and this is the usage I'm particularly interested to pull out.

Louw-Nida provides a shortcut as the Greek transliteration of an Aramaic word for "father" (God) is encoded LN 12.12. So you can search for <LN 12.12> to find all instances.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 29
Bruce Prince | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 2 2014 1:39 PM

Thanks for this, Dave. Using the Louw-Nida method pulls up all 261 instances where 'Father' appears in the NT; my aim is to find only those cases where πατήρ appears in the accusative case. Using Richard's Morphology search yield the 24 results I was seeking.

Blessings

Posts 29
Bruce Prince | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 2 2014 1:41 PM

I meant Vocative case; not Accusative. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS