What happened to all the Afrikaans Resources?

Page 3 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 49 Replies | 14 Followers

Posts 1
Jannie Erasmus | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2021 9:30 AM

Hallo Human

Ek gebruik Logos 9 en het toegang tot al die Afrikaanse bronne wat ek jare gelede geloop het (as ek reg onthou was dit die Afrikaanse Biblioteek in Libronix).  Miskien moet jy net kyk dat jou lisensies reg oorgedra is.

(I am using Logos 9 and still have access to all die Afrikaans recourses I bought years ago in the (as I recall)  Afrikaanse Biblioteek in Libronix.  Maybe your licenses were not carried over correctly.)  

Groetnis

Posts 35581
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2021 9:59 AM

Change of email address is a common reason for licenses to "disappear". Could that apply here?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5
Human Bosman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2021 10:33 AM

jannie,

Dankie (Thank you). Ek gebruik Logos sedert 2003. My “order history” op logos.com bevestig dit. Ek het nog die 2.1c opgradering gekoop wat so reflekteer. Hier by Walk Thru the Bible in JHB opgetel. Ek het pas my papier werke geskenk aan ‘n bilioteek. My broer is Proff by die AP

k Akademie en in ons gesprekke se ek ewe braaf die is in Logos en tot my verbasing is dit weg. Nou die slaggat is dat ek Logos vertrou het om dit voort te dra soos hulke beloof het. In due trek na ons nuwe huis het ek die heel oudstes verloor.

My vraag is dat al daardie bronne wetlik deel van die Logos Bibioteek was en nog moet wees, maar dit wil voorkom volgens hierdie blog inskrywing het Logos op die een of ander stadium “tags” verander in die leer formaat en toe nie al die Afrikaanse bronne opdateer nie.

Ek is seker die nuwe generasies sal bereid wees om vir die lisensies te betaal sou dit beskikbaar wees. 

Logos en Faithlife se “claim to fame” is dat hulle globaal is en kleiner gemeenskappe onderseun. Nou ons was goed ingeberger of veroordeel die waardes soos gepubliseer

We repent of pride and prejudices, remember and affirm that a Christian’s first citizenship is within the kingdom of God, and strive to follow Jesus’ example of serving and honoring others as we take the seat 

We pray for reconciliation, respect, and common ground within our communities and across all borders.”

Ek viel soos ‘n tipiese Apartheids verooldeelde en dink ons moet wegbreek sois die Nedrlanders en ons eie egte Afrikaanse elektroniese biblioteek met ondersteunende sagteware skep.

Vandag is daar genoeg “open source” platvorms waarmee ons kan wegspring. Dit is tog hoekom die taal deur die GRA in 1881 op die been gebring is en nou moet ons dit nie in die niet laat verdwyn nie.

Jammer vir die relaas maar dit is hartseer.

Griete

Posts 527
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2021 10:56 AM

Hi Human,
Ek het begin met Logos in 1996 (nog voor Libronix). Ek het nog al my Afrikaanse bronne wat ek deur die jare aangekoop het (totaal 112). Kan jy 'n paar van die boeke noem wat jy kort? Dan kan ek kyk of dit in my biblioteek is.

Het jy daardie tyd, toe jy die boeke by Walk Thru the Bible gekoop het, geregistreer of 'n backup van jou lisensie gemaak? Dalk kan ons nog iets doen

Posts 12492
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2021 11:03 AM

I'm still not sure I understand (using google translate), but it seems there may be a misunderstanding about what happened. The technical update to the "tags" that was talked about for a while only delayed to (re-)appearance of the three Afrikaans bibles some years ago.

The problem with other old resources was that back in the early days, it seems that publishing rights for things on CD-ROM were often contracted like publishing rights for a specific edition of a book: You print X-thousand of them in a batch and put them into your warehouse. Sell them as you like and can - if the batch is empty, you are done with it. If you want to print more, you need a new contract. Or maybe the contract even allows to print another batch of CD-ROMS - but not the distribution over the internet. This happened to other products as well (the SESB CD-ROMs for example, which were produced by the Dutch and German Bible Societies, but had many bibles in international languages). Maybe it was even more complex in South Africa due to the local distributor company.

My understanding is that FL effectively lost the right to sell those resources that are technically available and perfectly valid. They would like to sell them, but they were prohibited to do so by law - however they make them (i.e. the resources they have files for) available to all users who can prove they are legit owners of the CD-ROM version. FL needs to recontract with the rights holders (publishers, bible societies etc) in order to sell those resources - it happened with most of the SESB content over time, and with the three Afrikaans bibles as well.

Hope this helps a bit.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 5
Human Bosman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 3 2021 8:42 AM

Human here,

Ok my Notebook breather its end of life, so I Setup a old Desktop as a new Laptop is just not affordable.

Dusted of my i7-960 on a Gigabyte Z77M Motherboard and 32GB DDR3 RAM. with Windows 10 Pro Build 19043.1151, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

I then downloaded Logos 9 Basic. (9.6 SR-29.6.0.0024).The only other software at this stage is MS-Office and Kindle.

All Afrikaans resources are back.

My thinking around this:

The ultimate option is to start fresh. You might have all your resources, but miss out on features as those are billable items.

I ran into quite a number of technical issues, that I did resolve after much reading online, going as far back as L4 posts on the forums and Outside on technical forums..

1. Logos likes a very stable environment. No driver issues, not even slightly. I found the app crying about my AMD Radeon drivers and the solution that worked is downgrade the driver by 2 versions.

2. Logos like its own and fast hard disk. I installed a add-on card with NVMe SSD just for logos.

3. Logos does not like a slow Internet connection and thus I upgraded my computers Wifi connection. TP-Link PCI-e adaptor.

4. Logos runs wild when re-indexing the Library, but behave when resources is downloaded.

I suppose all is well now, but the future will teach me I suppose.

STILL MY BIGGEST CONCERN IS THAT THE AFRIKAANS REOURCES IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR SALE ON THE WEB STORE AND THUS NOT AVIALBLE TO THE NEW GENERATION.

Kind Regards

Human Bosman

human.bosman@aab.co.za

Posts 3033
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 3 2021 9:52 AM

Human Bosman:
STILL MY BIGGEST CONCERN IS THAT THE AFRIKAANS REOURCES IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR SALE ON THE WEB STORE AND THUS NOT AVIALBLE TO THE NEW GENERATION.

These seem to be available here: https://www.logos.com/search?sortBy=Relevance&limit=60&page=1&ownership=all&geographicAvailability=all&filters=language-afrikaans_Language

There should be 12 on that list. Are there others you were expecting to see?

I got this list using the Language option in the left sidebar.

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 12492
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 3 2021 12:14 PM

Andrew Batishko:

Human Bosman:

These seem to be available here: https://www.logos.com/search?sortBy=Relevance&limit=60&page=1&ownership=all&geographicAvailability=all&filters=language-afrikaans_Language

There should be 12 on that list. Are there others you were expecting to see?

Sarel above shared that he has over a hundred Afrikaans resources in his library from what was available in the past... 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 3033
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 3 2021 3:31 PM

Thanks, NB.Mick, I missed that.

Human Bosman, you are correct that Faithlife does not currently sell many of these resources you are referring to. Unfortunately, these were licensed to a third party that is no longer in business, and we don't currently have permission to sell them.

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 738
LogosEmployee
Thomas Reiter (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 3 2021 4:11 PM

It's good to hear that all the resources have reappeared, that is always our pre-eminent concern.

In regards to the availability of these resources, as Andrew has indicated, this is a bit of a complex subject, as these resources were originally produced by a third party, and as such relicensing them is a more complex task.

However, I am happy to report that we are currently in conversations with the Bible Society of South Africa to add some additional resources for pre-pub, so keep your eyes out for those. While I don't want to make any promises about being able to relicense the previously built resources, we are always looking to expand our catalogue, both in English and beyond.

Director, New Languages & Business Line Management

Page 3 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS