What happened to all the Afrikaans Resources?

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 37 Replies | 11 Followers

Posts 507
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 8 2014 9:43 PM

Hi,

This question is for Logos, but please allow me to reminiscence a bit.

A Few years ago Logos was also situated in South Africa and they offered some great South African resources, a lot of which was in Afrikaans (my native language). They had a few special resource bundles for Afrikaans users. My New Testament Professor introduced us to Logos when it was still version 1.6 (on a number of stiffies Big Smile - which I still have ) running on Windows 3.0/1. I also bought the Add-on versions of the Afrikaans Bibles and the Hebrew and Greek Bibles.

I remember upgrading to packages like Bybel Biblioteek in Logos 2.1, Lesbou en Onderrig CD and the Logos Bybelsagteware Reeks X in Libronix. These packages had some great Afrikaans resources.

I have met some younger generation theologians/pastors and some of them do not know about Logos. Strange as it may be, I quickly introduced them to the power of Logos 5. Unfortunately, we discovered that the Afrikaans resources are no longer available. This is truly disappointing. I know the Afrikaans market is not large, but will it be possible to include some Afrikaans resources again?

Thanks

Posts 32
LogosEmployee
Bill Nienhuis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 8 2014 11:39 PM

We are in discussions now to bring the resources back to Logos. We hope to conclude this process as soon as possible. 

Posts 507
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 9 2014 2:41 AM

Thanks, that would be great

Posts 30
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 9 2014 11:51 PM

Thank You Logos!

Nice to be noticed, even if Afrikaans users are not a major segment of the market.

It is always sad if existing Logos resources are withdrawn due to publisher restrictions or whatever reason. A lot of money went into the production of Logos resources and it is a pity that they can no longer be acquired by users. 

Looking forward to buy some Afrikaans resources I missed back then.

Hopefully all Afrikaans titles would then be available on the mobile platform as well, which is currently not the case.

Posts 507
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 1:17 AM

Jacques:

Hopefully all Afrikaans titles would then be available on the mobile platform as well, which is currently not the case.

Yes

Posts 270
Kelvin Niblett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 3:41 AM

As a pastor in Australia with several Afrikaans speakers in my congregation I would love having Afrikaans Nuwe Vertaling and to a lesser degree Afrikaans Ou Vertaling. I had to buy these resources in a much more inferior software system. It would make life much easier if I could have it all under the same umbrella (Logos).

Posts 507
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 4:11 AM

Hi Kelvin,

I have both translations (1933/53 translation, also known as the Afrikaans Ou Vertaling and the 1983, also known as the Nuwe Afrikaanse Vertaling) in Logos. Then there is also Die Boodskap, Die Lewende Bybel and the Nuwe Testament vir Kinders available. I really hope these resources will be available again soon, and of course I truly hope they will add some great new ones in the future.

Posts 270
Kelvin Niblett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 4:48 AM

Sarel Slabbert:

Hi Kelvin,

I have both translations (1933/53 translation, also known as the Afrikaans Ou Vertaling and the 1983, also known as the Nuwe Afrikaanse Vertaling) in Logos. Then there is also Die Boodskap, Die Lewende Bybel and the Nuwe Testament vir Kinders available. I really hope these resources will be available again soon, and of course I truly hope they will add some great new ones in the future.

I use them both in e-sword which is less than ideal, but at least I have them.

Posts 4
Barry v/d Merwe | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 2 2014 3:33 PM

What happened to Logos' idea that you will not lose the resources you have when newer versions are developed?

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 2 2014 3:59 PM

Barry v/d Merwe:

What happened to Logos' idea that you will not lose the resources you have when newer versions are developed?

Maybe I am wrong but I think no one has lost the resources  they only ceased to be offered to new purchasers. Am I correct?

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 30
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 4 2014 12:38 AM

Super.Tramp:

Barry v/d Merwe:

Maybe I am wrong but I think no one has lost the resources  they only ceased to be offered to new purchasers. Am I correct?

Super.Tramp is correct,

All previously purchased Afrikaans resources are still part of my library.

The reason why these resources are no longer available for purchase is due to publisher restrictions/rights. The same kind of thing that happened to some of the Moody titles. The good news is that Logos is re-negotiating terms with these Afrikaans publishers and these titles could in the future be available again for purchasing in Logos.

Posts 507
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 4 2014 6:50 AM

Jacques:

Super.Tramp:

Barry v/d Merwe:

Super.Tramp is correct,

All previously purchased Afrikaans resources are still part of my library.

The reason why these resources are no longer available for purchase is due to publisher restrictions/rights. The same kind of thing that happened to some of the Moody titles. The good news is that Logos is re-negotiating terms with these Afrikaans publishers and these titles could in the future be available again for purchasing in Logos.

Yes. No resources are "lost". I still have all Afrikaans resources I bought. My main point was that it is sad that the "new generation" (for lack of a better word) of Afrikaans users will not have access to these resources when they sign up with Logos now. There is some great Afrikaans resources available so hopefully Logos will be successful.

Posts 1
Willie Venter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2015 2:23 AM

Hi Bill,

It is a year later, any progress?

Posts 8
Izak Bakkes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2015 8:53 PM

Bill Nienhuis:

We are in discussions now to bring the resources back to Logos. We hope to conclude this process as soon as possible. 

Hi Bill,

Should we conclude from 18 months of silence that the Afrikaans resources are not coming back?

Posts 32
LogosEmployee
Bill Nienhuis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2016 10:21 AM

I'm sorry for the lengthy delay. We just completed all the licensing issues in December. Since the Afrikaans resources were produced so long ago, the tagging needs to be updated. We will begin this process this month. If you already own the resources, the updated editions will be made available automatically. If you are not already an owner, the resources will appear on prepub soon.

Posts 507
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2016 10:33 AM

Great News ("Wonderlike Nuus"). Yes

Posts 30
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2016 4:19 AM

Sarel Slabbert:

Great News ("Wonderlike Nuus"). Yes

Posts 2
Daniel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2016 4:48 AM

Bill, I want to buy Afrikaans translations right now and reached this discussion just now by google. Looking forward to availability.

Posts 7
Riaan le Roux | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2016 11:06 PM

Hi Bill, thanks for the feedback so far!

Is there any updates or an ETA for when the Afrikaanse Nuwe Vertaling will be available?

I live and work in an Afrikaans Community and it is frustrating to be able to use Logos for my Theological Studies, but when I prepare lessons and materials for church and sunday school, I have to resort to online Bibles in order to access the Afrikaanse Nuwe Vertaling.

My pastor has it on his Logos 6 edition, although it was transferred across from when he updated from Logos 4 to Logos 6.

I will be over the moon if I can get access to the Afrikaanse Nuwe Vertaling in Logos 6!

Posts 1
Andre Nagel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2016 11:56 PM

Stil no movement on this.

Has CUM not come to the party?

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS