Which version is right for me??

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 39
David | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 3 2010 1:38 PM

HELP!  :)

I have heard about Logos and have investigated the website and would like to purchase but am at a loss for which version is the right one for me.  I am a layman with a love for the Word of God ... to a point of enjoying exegetical studies, pulling verses apart, reviewing original languages for true meanings, researching how many times the use of these words are used and in what contexts, etc...  I can spend literal hours on just a verse or two, just pulling it apart and researching references to other passages.  The more "visual" the better (as I am a visual person).  Maps and other details that can be visually viewed to enhance my understanding would be very helpful.

All that being said, I don't "teach" formal lessons and don't feel I would have a need for the most expensive version, yet would the "Bible Study" version be sufficient for me?  Even after viewing the comparison guide, I'm still highly confused over which one is the right version for me individually.

Is there a site which will ask me qualifying questions and based on the asnwers, will recommend the right version?  If not, can anyone out there in Logos world help me to pick one? :)

Kindly submitted.

David

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 1:54 PM

David, the best thing to do would be to contact Logos directly and talk with a customer support person. They are very helpful.

For what it is worth I would probably recommend Scholars edition. It is the best value for money and will give you what you are looking for and then some! It will also give you room to grow in your ability to study. Don't be overwhelmed by the name scholars either. 

Hope that helps!

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 2:02 PM

Based on what you said, the Bible study level would be a good place to start. The Leader's library above it mostly adds pastoral books.

However, the original language capabilities of the Bible Study library is rather limited. Without knowing what sort of training/abilities you have with Greek and Hebrew it's difficult to recommend what might be resources that could be difficult for you to use well.

The Original languages library is good, it is very focused for those interested in original language work. However, I find its selection of English Bibles limited.

I started off with the Scholars library in 2002 and I loved it. However, it is pricey and has a lot of resources that are not directly related to expository studies.

So, I've probably muddied the water for you Smile. If you want me to clarify what I said, I'd be happy to perhaps even exchange some emails off the forum.

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 2:10 PM

Kevin Becker:
Based on what you said, the Bible study level would be a good place to start.

Kevin, I thought that Bible Study would perhaps be a bit basic (although I am really not a fan of the entry level Logos products - I think people should spend a bit extra and buy something they will grow into.

One other thing to consider is how much you will use it. If you plan to use it everyday then I would recommend scholars. If it is going to be used from time to time then perhaps Bible Study is the way to go. I would hate to see you spend lots of money only to have it used from time to time. Are you planning to do your personal study in Logos or simply look things up from time to time?

Posts 39
David | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 2:11 PM

Hi Mark:

You recommended the Scholar's edition (which money is not the object and I am truly looking for the best that I will "need" ... without paying for things that I may never need or read through).  The question I have about this version is that I see that there are mulitple "Scholars editions".  In your recommendation, I would assume you are referring to the Scholars "library" (vs. the Silver, Gold or Platinum).  Yes?

Thank you again for your reply.

David

Posts 1359
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 2:12 PM

I would recommend starting with the Bible Study package. I did that a little over 2 years ago.

I have been teaching a Sunday School class for 40 years and have an extensive personal library.

Using Logos software was a paradigm shift for me. The software allows me to almost instantly have access to multitudes of sources of information on any verse or topic. That same information may be sitting on my bookshelves, but I would never locate all of them.

You can always upgrade to a higher package and get "credit" for what you already have. You don't have to buy the same titles twice in Logos. The larger the package, the better the "value" you are getting, if you can utilize the tools included.

After about 6 months of use, I attended Morris Proctor's Camp Logos. Logos is a powerful program and Morris does a great job of showing you how to get the most out of the program. He also has print manuals available.  www.mpseminars.com

I upgraded to Logos Gold at Camp Logos. I have been very pleased with that package, but have added to my base package. I especially recommend adding the IVP Essentials Collection. It is an excellent collection dictionaries and other reference materials.

I plan to upgrade to the new Platinum package soon.

Dave Kaplan at Logos can help you.

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 2:16 PM

Yes, I am referring to the Scholars library. I began with the Original Languages and recently upgraded to scholars library. I am a minister and I use Logos everyday. It has been my best investment since entering ministry. You will also be surprised by how many of the books you will use, I was. My next upgrade (in a few years) will most likely be to platinum or, I will continue to purchase commentaries to add to my collection.

Once again, I hope that helps. Mark

Posts 39
David | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 2:17 PM

Hi Kevin:

Your reply is most appreciated.  I would be interested in conversing "off-line" if you feel this may help.

As far as the original languages, I have used interlinear bibles (print) in the past and have looked up original words, but I do not have a strong working knowledge of Greek, Hebrew or Aramaic. 

My original thought was to start with the "Bible Study" version, but don't want to skimp because of price if I will be unhappy with it because it won't give me all that I am looking for.  My "main" goal is to find a system that I can use as a true "study".  Where I can read, take notes, view maps, research commentaries (Matthew Henry, etc...) and really see a very VISUAL view of what the verse is referring to, showing contexts of verses, etc ...

I will spring for the Scholar's library if this is what I will need in order to be happy with the purchase, but obviously the lower the price, the better.  :).

Thank you again.

David

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 2:24 PM

Hi David,

Something that you might want to consider is talking to a sales representative. This is one of the many areas that they excel in, and that is fitting the right product to the person. You won't be disappointed.

Paul

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 1359
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 2:25 PM

David,

It sounds like you are really commited to using Logos software.

One of the reasons that I suggested starting with the Bible Study package is that there is a serious commitment required to learning Logos software. There is a learning curve. Not everyone will stick with it long enough to get the real benefits.

If money is not an object and you are commited to utilizing it, the general advice you will find on this forum is "buy the most you can afford."

Logos even offers a payment plan to help people spread out the purchase.

The current introductory special pricing ends 1/31/10, so this is the best time to be making a purchase.

Posts 39
David | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 2:41 PM

This is all very helpful and I appreciate everyone's input and time.  You've been a great help. 

I will contact a rep tomorrow and was hoping that their sale wouldn't end this evening (my luck).  I'm glad it goes until the end of the month.

I am serious about my studies and plan to use Logos extensively but hope the learning curve isn't too long as I look forward to digging into what it has to offer.  Just a couple of additional questions, if you would be so kind....

1. Can notes be added to the NLT (my preferred 'reading' version)?
  2. Does the NLT show original language behind the words?
  3. Can you always upgrade?  And if so, is it still advantageous to purchase as much as I can afford now or might it be smarter to go with a lower package ("Bible Study") and simply upgrade if I need more.
  4. I happen to like John MacArthur.  Do they have John MacArthur commentaries?

Thank you again for all of your help.

Lord bless.

David

Posts 33843
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 2:45 PM

David:
Can notes be added to the NLT (my preferred 'reading' version)?

Yes, notes can be added to preety much any resource.

David:
Can you always upgrade? 

Yes

David:
Do they have John MacArthur commentaries?

search the Logos site to see what they carry.

David:
Does the NLT show original language behind the words?

This I don't know ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 2:45 PM

David,

I'll leave these fine fellows to continue helping you with your decision.

But, could I suggest that you edit the above post in which you give your email address. Leaving one's email address on a public forum leads to spam.

Most people write there address:  whatever AT otherwhatever.com.

To edit a post, hit the green "More" button above the post and select "Edit"

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 3:13 PM

David:

Hi Mark:

You recommended the Scholar's edition (which money is not the object and I am truly looking for the best that I will "need" ... without paying for things that I may never need or read through).  The question I have about this version is that I see that there are mulitple "Scholars editions".  In your recommendation, I would assume you are referring to the Scholars "library" (vs. the Silver, Gold or Platinum).  Yes?

Thank you again for your reply.

David

For what you describe, I would agree with Mark.  Go Scholars! :-)

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 3:14 PM

From what you have said, I would suggest the Scholar package as the lowest you should have, there is no doubt in my mind that anything less would not be at the level you are hoping to be at. 

The very best buy in the Scholar packages is the Platinum, I have it plus many other resoures, but you may see that as over kill, however I would not, I believe it is a well rounded package that every believer could benefit from using.

Please take a look at this thread

Announcing New Logos Video Tools: Learn Biblical Greek and Hebrew...

It is found on page 2 right now, I believe you are the type of person that this new video is aimed at. 

Or you can go to this site to see the information on the video and see demos. http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/5876

They do make a suggestion concerning what level a person should have in order to get the most out of the video and for bible studies.  Scholar’s Library is recommended. Also recommended, but not required: BDAG and A Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament (Holladay).

I have these resources and they are all top of the line!  Here is what the video seeks to teach:

Here’s what you’ll learn:

• Proper methods for doing Hebrew and Greek word studies.
  • Fallacies to avoid in Hebrew and Greek word studies
  • The meaning of Hebrew and Greek grammatical terminology, with specific examples, including advice on how the information might be used in a sermon.
  • How to evaluate what commentators say about the text of the Old and New Testaments.
  • How to evaluate why English translations differ.

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 3:19 PM

Hey David, I just emailed you.... looks like you've gotten some good help as I wrote it.

Yes, the NLT will have the original languages behind it. They are finishing it up and as of now only the New Testament is finished. The OT should be finished this year sometime.

Logos has extensive MacArthur books: http://www.logos.com/products/details/5213

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 4:29 PM

Paul Golder:
Something that you might want to consider is talking to a sales representative

When i first purchased; this is what I did...they were very knowledgeable; they even sent me excerpts in my email so I could see what I was getting at certain levels....

Dave Kaplan is the man!

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 2565
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 5:08 PM

I often hear people talk about not wanting to buy resources they won't use. When you get into the larger packages, you will always have resources that you may not think you will use, and some you never will. However, you could not purchase separately the resources you will use at a price anywhere close to the package offerings. I have been surprised by some of these resources that I thought I would never use.

With that said, i would recommend starting with the Scholars. It is the best place to really see what Logos can do by providing a stepping point for the original languages, some good commentaries etc. To that I would add BDAG if you are at all interested in the Greek Texts. It's like buy clothes for a growing kid.. if you don't buy them a bit big, then they grow out of them too fast.

Talk with Dave Kaplan and let us know what you decide and welcome to our community,

Posts 1359
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 5:45 PM

David:

I happen to like John MacArthur.  Do they have John MacArthur commentaries?

MacArthur titles are available including this package:

http://www.logos.com/products/details/5213

Posts 22
Tom Gray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 6:01 PM

David,

I am a lay leader/elder in my church and I purchased the Leadership Edition just before Christmas and just now (20 min ago) purchased the upgrate to Scholars Library Edition. If money is not the issue, I would agree that this is the version for you.

Make sure to view the free tutorial videos and even look for some of the user videos. I would highly recommend the ones that Mark Barnes did for preparing a sermon. You might not prepare a sermon but there are good tools he shows how to use practically...and you never know you might need to preach a sermon some day (Be ready in and out of season to give a reason for your faith!)

I would also recommend that you frequent the forums page as there are always interesting topics that others bring up that are helpful to you too.

May God richly bless your efforts at discovering His hidden riches in His Word!

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS