KINDLE UNLIMITED, the long waited move

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 205
David Salazar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 5 2014 6:11 AM
alabama24:

Rosie- why would anyone use "send to kindle" from Logos, if not to send to an e-ink kindle? If you have an iPad, just use the Logos app. If you are interested in personal books, just use the non logos "send to kindle." If you are interested in non mobile enabled resources... I cant imagine logos would enable "send to kindle" for non mobile enabled resources. I can't think of a single good use for "send to kindle" outside of the eInk readers. Am I missing something?

1. I'm not sure what it is but reading on the kindle app just seems to be easier and turning pages is faster as well. So thats one reason why people might prefer to have a send to kindle function. 2. It's easy to know which books you've read or are currently reading (I do small segments of various books). There might be a way from the logos app, if there is I haven't noticed it or am blind. 3. Personal preference. For me the kindle app basically forces me to concentrate on reading. The logos app creates a sense of tying down because of the hyperlinked footnotes and other tagging. For some that may be great, others not the least a distraction but for me it is and the kindle app helps greatly in that regard. Of course nothing beats reading on the e-ink kindles.
Posts 30823
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 5 2014 6:22 AM

OK. I'll buy that. Smile

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 64
Eric Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 9 2014 7:02 PM

Never underestimate an innovative company.

https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_5.3_Beta_3

Posts 2953
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 10 2014 6:51 AM

alabama24:

Rosie- why would anyone use "send to kindle" from Logos, if not to send to an e-ink kindle? If you have an iPad, just use the Logos app. If you are interested in personal books, just use the non logos "send to kindle." If you are interested in non mobile enabled resources... I cant imagine logos would enable "send to kindle" for non mobile enabled resources. I can't think of a single good use for "send to kindle" outside of the eInk readers. Am I missing something?

You make a good point.  Why go to the trouble if you have the Logos app available, and it will work with you Logos library in ways Kindle cannot?  However, if you are just reading, I find the Kindle reading app a much better reading experience than the Logos app.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 3541
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 10 2014 7:09 AM

alabama24:

mike:
Although it is small now, I'm sure the list of books will grow and grow and grow..

Time will tell... but I am not getting too excited just yet. Only a small subset, for example is eligible to "lend." These appear to be those same titles. For some people (those who read a lot and don't care what they read) this will be great. Right now, its not for me.

Exactly, I did the trial and was not impressed at all and cancelled my membership before I got charged.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 10 2014 7:44 AM

I also cancelled the trial. And since then, I've only seen a few 'free' that I would have benefitted from.

Regarding Kindle (iOS) vs Logos app, I think it's a plus/minus.  I can change the fonts on Kindle; not on Logos. I do that a lot. I'm a highlighter just for thinking, and the Kindle quickly shows me my highlights after a time away.  On the other hand, Logos in the library view, shows me my already-read sections which is great since I read 10 or more books at a time (different subjects).  But Logos always opens to the library (pain); Kindle returns me to my last-read.  When I switch apps (to add a note in my notebook), Kindle disappears and has to re-draw; Logos keeps its view for a quick check.  Plus Logos handles large in-text notes unbelievably.

I'd say it's a draw.  Of course, that brings me to the more major point.  If it goes on my PaperWhite, I bought the book from Kindle due to price (Kindle vs Logos).  I'm no longer a big believer in 'I might search for it later.'  Not when the savings can fund more books.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 3541
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 10 2014 8:11 AM

Denise:

I also cancelled the trial. And since then, I've only seen a few 'free' that I would have benefitted from.

Regarding Kindle (iOS) vs Logos app, I think it's a plus/minus.  I can change the fonts on Kindle; not on Logos. I do that a lot. I'm a highlighter just for thinking, and the Kindle quickly shows me my highlights after a time away.  On the other hand, Logos in the library view, shows me my already-read sections which is great since I read 10 or more books at a time (different subjects).  But Logos always opens to the library (pain); Kindle returns me to my last-read.  When I switch apps (to add a note in my notebook), Kindle disappears and has to re-draw; Logos keeps its view for a quick check.  Plus Logos handles large in-text notes unbelievably.

I'd say it's a draw.  Of course, that brings me to the more major point.  If it goes on my PaperWhite, I bought the book from Kindle due to price (Kindle vs Logos).  I'm no longer a big believer in 'I might search for it later.'  Not when the savings can fund more books.

You should also check with your local library.  My library actually has an ebook section that connects to most, if not all, of the Kindle Unlimited books, plus books that Unlimited does not offer.

Posts 910
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 10 2014 4:19 PM

Brad Fry:

... I do believe the Kindle Paperwhite is the best reading experience there is.

And this is a self evident truth bordering on axiomatic.  I've had a paperwhite for about three months and I couldn't be more pleased with it.  It is an incredible value with eInk technology that is incomparable.  You can refer to this wiki article for one way to read your Logos books on your Paperwhite. This one is superior (it has pictures!), and here it is as a 5 minute youtube video.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 10 2014 6:57 PM

David ... thanks for the suggestion. 

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2003
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 10 2014 7:05 PM

Kindle Unlimited has more than 70.000 ebooks just on Spirituality category.

Posts 2931
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 10 2014 7:41 PM

mike:
Kindle Unlimited has more than 70.000 ebooks just on Spirituality category.

And 60.000 of these are useless amateur KDP publications...

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Seminary Student (VIU).
Christian Debate Forum --- Auferstanden! Blog

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS