Looks like Logos is getting into the audio book business. [:)]

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2780
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 16 2014 8:41 PM

Check out the pre-pub page. I noticed on my Logos5 desktop that there are a lot of pre-pub audio books advertised.

Posts 29889
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 3:52 AM

I have really started listening to audio books about a year and a half ago... but with the titles I choose I don't pay more than $3 for a title (when I own the ebook already). I am not likely to purchase any from Logos unless something similar is offered.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2205
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 4:17 AM

Considering the amount of audio books that are currently on pre pub, I would strongly suggest that a new Audio pre pub category be made and not to mix these offerings with the book offerings. 

Posts 2780
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 5:31 AM

alabama24:

I have really started listening to audio books about a year and a half ago... but with the titles I choose I don't pay more than $3 for a title (when I own the ebook already). I am not likely to purchase any from Logos unless something similar is offered.

I have also, primarily to get my reading speed up (which I think is terrible). My eyes are not as good as they used to be, which is probably the reason for my suffering reading speed. IMO: I thinks Logos will remain best at what it currently offers in linked and searchable resources.

Posts 5630
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 5:40 AM

Why are these on Logos.com?  Most of those audio books have Vyrso counterparts.  Why aren't they on Vyrso?

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2780
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 5:41 AM

Mark:

Considering the amount of audio books that are currently on pre pub, I would strongly suggest that a new Audio pre pub category be made and not to mix these offerings with the book offerings. 

I kind of agree. For Logos, I don't think that the audio books (other than the Bibles) will offer much value (if any) to the Logos programs. Now, if it were possible to enhance the current read-aloud function to function as the audio books (with correct pronunciation and such), that would be awesome. Smile

Posts 2780
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 5:46 AM

Todd Phillips:

Why are these on Logos.com?  Most of those audio books have Vyrso counterparts.  Why aren't they on Vyrso?

I was trying to feel out the value of them in the Logos programs, and I couldn't find much value. It does seem like they are more suited for Vyrso, or better yet, a separate sub-business.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 6:27 AM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:

Todd Phillips:

I was trying to feel out the value of them in the Logos programs, and I couldn't find much value. It does seem like they are more suited for Vyrso, or better yet, a separate sub-business.

Yes same here

Posts 4158
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 7:03 AM

I got a chuckle from one of the titles.

I am quite happy to see audiobooks in Logos. I travel all the time and the ability to listen to a story, or a book I'm interested in reading while traveling is a huge blessing.

Though I'm sure there are some that agree with this John Piper title, I hope most of us don't.

Don’t Waste Your Life (with audio)

Its interesting to point out that the rest of the titles have (audio) at the end. But this one was clearly done differently by a logos employee with a sense of humor :)

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 2780
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 7:25 AM

abondservant:

I am quite happy to see audiobooks in Logos. I travel all the time and the ability to listen to a story, or a book I'm interested in reading while traveling is a huge blessing.

Though I'm sure there are some that agree with this John Piper title, I hope most of us don't.

Its interesting to point out that the rest of the titles have (audio) at the end. But this one was clearly done differently by a logos employee with a sense of humor :)

Ha ha ha ha ha. Yes, that is funny. :-)

I hope most of us don't also. Audio books have extreme value, however, I don't see the value within the Logos program (at least not at this time). I do see value in the read-along function though, and just pray that one day it will be enhanced to include every resource in Logos. The space requirement probably will be tremendous. 2TB drive just for Logos. Lol

Posts 15
Jason W. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 7:50 AM

I'm very excited about the Audio Books! I noticed that they are from Christian Audio and I have been a long time member of Christian Audio and downloaded many of their books. I called logos and was told that it is most likely that my purchases through Christian Audio would not transfer to Logos. The representative on the phone explained that these would "most likely" not be .mp3 files but rather files in logos. This means that you can't listen to the book on an mp3 player. 

If the logos format is distinct from the Christian audio (mp3) format I think there should be a discount option available. For instance logos version $10, Mp3 version $10, both versions $12. And for those who already have the audio books through Christian Audio they can choose to buy the Logos version for $2-3.

Posts 1721
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 8:54 AM

The distinctive thing about audio books in Logos format is that you'll be able to use the Logos mobile app to play them, and if we have the text and audio linked (which we do for the ESV, the LEB NT, and https://www.logos.com/product/43720/dont-waste-your-life -- 'with audio') you will actually be able to see the text and the audio stay in sync, and start audio reading from where you left off reading, and pick up reading from where you stopped listening, etc.

With MP3 files you can copy them anywhere, but sometimes it's hard to get back to the right location (you might be sent back to the start of a track/chapter), you can't search them for full-text, etc.

In the future, if this is popular, I expect we'll even have some other cool integration features -- like 'taking a note' on an audio book by tapping the screen while it plays, saving that exact location in your note file. So when listening to a book or the Bible in your car from your iPhone, for example, you can mark something you hear to go back and add a highlight or note or look something up.

In the coming days you should see some more explanation / demonstration of this functionality.

-- Bob

Posts 2780
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 9:17 AM

Bob Pritchett:

The distinctive thing about audio books in Logos format is that you'll be able to use the Logos mobile app to play them, and if we have the text and audio linked (which we do for the ESV, the LEB NT, and https://www.logos.com/product/43720/dont-waste-your-life -- 'with audio') you will actually be able to see the text and the audio stay in sync, and start audio reading from where you left off reading, and pick up reading from where you stopped listening, etc.

With MP3 files you can copy them anywhere, but sometimes it's hard to get back to the right location (you might be sent back to the start of a track/chapter), you can't search them for full-text, etc.

In the future, if this is popular, I expect we'll even have some other cool integration features -- like 'taking a note' on an audio book by tapping the screen while it plays, saving that exact location in your note file. So when listening to a book or the Bible in your car from your iPhone, for example, you can mark something you hear to go back and add a highlight or note or look something up.

In the coming days you should see some more explanation / demonstration of this functionality.

-- Bob

The 2 points you listed (as stated below) is what will make the audio editions valuable within the Logos programs, and sets them apart from just audio books. Smile

• and if we have the text and audio linked (which we do for the ESV, the LEB NT, and https://www.logos.com/product/43720/dont-waste-your-life -- 'with audio') you will actually be able to see the text and the audio stay in sync, and start audio reading from where you left off reading, and pick up reading from where you stopped listening, etc.
  • In the future, if this is popular, I expect we'll even have some other cool integration features -- like 'taking a note' on an audio book by tapping the screen while it plays, saving that exact location in your note file. So when listening to a book or the Bible in your car from your iPhone, for example, you can mark something you hear to go back and add a highlight or note or look something up.

And while we have your ear on this topic Bob, I'd like to mention that what has been done with the Hebrew Pronunciation description with samples/examples on the sales page is extremely effective, and I really appreciate that we can view a short demo of the resource in action. I think that this is a good model to follow for all or most resources offered.

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 4:00 PM

Logos - please count me in for those who wish the audio (especially the obvious fictitious pandering to mass media market drivel) was separated off/out.

my own $.02....I would never buy some of the TRIPE (not being even more specific as I don't want to be further derisive) that is listed there.

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 4:20 PM

abondservant:

Ha! That is amusing. I don't think it's intentional humor though. Some of the titles have "(audio)" after them because they are only audio, and others have "(with audio)" after them because they come with a Logos book plus the audio version.

I'm glad to see that J.I. Packer's Knowing God is finally making it back to the Logos stable, but too bad this one is only audio. I'd love to have the Logos edition (or at least Vyrso e-book) of that.

I'm probably not going to be buying any audio books. I like the concept, but I simply don't use my portable devices for listening audio of any sort (even music). I don't like the idea of wearing headphones and shutting out the rest of the world (people and nature) when I'm out and walking about. And I don't have long commutes in the car anymore. And if I've got time to kill somewhere else like on an airplane, I'd rather read the text than listen to it. But kudos to Logos for moving into this big new area. I'm sure it will be a boon to business. I'm guessing they'll need to tweak their pricing model somewhat, though, given how many other players offer cheaper options.

Posts 1380
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 7:02 PM

JoshInRI:
Logos - please count me in for those who wish the audio (especially the obvious fictitious pandering to mass media market drivel) was separated off/out.

Yes I check pre-pub religiously, but don't like scrolling through audio books. It would be good if they had their own section....

Posts 1969
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 7:14 PM

Todd Phillips:

It's the tagging, of course. The Logos audio books have subliminal messages added.

Window 10 (L9 Beta) | Android 9 (phone - L9 Beta) | Fire OS 7 (tablet - L9 Stable)

Posts 1210
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 7:54 PM

when driving on long trips, I take a laptop along with Logos on it, and have it read me a book.  It is sometimes a little tough to follow at times, but it works for me.  I have wished that I could do the same from the mobile apps.

Posts 23
Eric Gren | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 18 2014 10:55 AM

Bob Pritchett:
The distinctive thing about audio books in Logos format is that you'll be able to use the Logos mobile app to play them

Is there any chance that this feature will be available in the Windows app?  I listen to audio books all the time while driving and running and have wanted some Christian authors to listen to since I don't have enough time to read everything I want to.

Posts 29889
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 18 2014 1:31 PM

Eric Gren:

Bob Pritchett:
The distinctive thing about audio books in Logos format is that you'll be able to use the Logos mobile app to play them

Is there any chance that this feature will be available in the Windows app?  I listen to audio books all the time while driving and running and have wanted some Christian authors to listen to since I don't have enough time to read everything I want to.

It probably depends upon the future of the app in general. If there is a growing user base, and if it makes business sense to develop for it, then I would expect that they would. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS